Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2007 5:01:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

Would it be possible to split the storage between the garage and shed? It may not make enough room for a bench but it may help.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I keep mine in the basement.  I bought some cabinets/shelves and we keep our food and battery stash in there and we rotate these items.  On the shelves I also have my Coleman Fuel, pack stoves, lanturns, water filtration units, extra filters, etc.  I also keep our radios. emergency first aid kit, extra flasklights, etc there as well.

Now, we do have tow BOBs, and these are packed to grab and go but these are short term and imediate "survival items" while the stuff on the shelves and the cabinets are bulk stuff that I would want if we had to bug out.  We store extra clothes in rubber made tubs in the basement and in an emergency I would just dump those clothes on the floor and dump the food and other stuff into those to load into the truck to bug out.

I believe in keeping the gear where we can see it and rotate things.  We have some things in that kit that we don't regularly eat (SPAM and even rice as an example) but the vast majority of it is stuff we eat normally.  

I would not want this type of stuff stored outside and personally, I don't even like having it in the garage where it is less secured.  If we ever had to "bug-in" because of a Chem, Bio, Radioactive issue I expect we would be in the basement... where the gear is!

JMHOs
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Between garage and shed I'd choose the garage.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#4]
be careful of anything you put in the shed.  While the garage probably has no HVAC, the shed probably isn't even insulated.  I wouldn't put anything even remotely temperature-sensitive in there.  So between the two, I would say garage.

Do you have a space under the stairs or something that's inside the house? I vote for that.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:34:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do not put all your eggs in one basket.

Would it be possible to split the storage between the garage and shed? It may not make enough room for a bench but it may help.

Exactly, split it up.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How are you guys loading up for a BO; do you load it all from one location?

Depending in MD where you live, your needs may be very different then mine...  My plan is to BUG IN if at all possible and my supplies are secured so that if I am bunkered in that they are secure as a higher priority then bugging out.

Mine, as I indicated above, are all in the basement and I would need to carry them up the stairs and into the truck.  It would take me some time BUT I don't live that close to a likely terrorist target that I can't spend say 15-minutes loading the truck.  At least I do have it organized and I know what I have and where.

If I lived right next to a major possible threat (say if I lived near Washington DC as an example) then I would want to be as prepared to bug out as possible (like what you are describing).  Then again, in that case, your trailer could be all packed up and parked in a secure garage or out building and you back the truck up to it and roll!

I have a self storage unit where I keep some stuff but I do not keep my SHTF stuff there as it is a fences and gate locked unit and it is too close to home and in an emergency I am not sure I can get in there and hooking chains up to their gate and tearing it down is not likely going to help my situation in the crisis either.

Tough decisions...  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:29:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's exactly the problem I'm having now all my eggs are in one basket - the house.

All the lights, all the stoves, all the bedding, all the shelter, all the food, all the water is in one place.

If I were to split up the gear.  Say put the tents the shed, and the camp kitchen in the garrage - I save no space (I'd end up using more) and I'd have to load up from 2 different spots in the event of a bug out. First load from the shed and back up to the garrage and finish loading?

How are you guys loading up for a BO; do you load it all from one location?

Is there any way you could store the absolute minimum bug out gear in the garrage say in those large plastic storage tubs and then any extra in the shed. That way if you had to bug out "RIGHT NOW" you could just grab the tubs and move but if you had more time you could grab the "nice to haves" out of the shed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Garage:
Pros:
- Never Freezes
- Easy access if the gear is needed for a 'bug in'
- Easy to load the gear for camping if I'm camping 'light'
-since the garage is attached to the house, it is considered "inside the curtilage" for LE search warrant purposes

Cons:
-Takes up room in the garage (I'd love to have a 2nd workbench in the garage).
- In the event of a house emergency (say like a fire) it's likely I'd lose my emergency gear (including tent and bedding).

Shed:
Pros:
- It is located near where the trailer will be stored - open the doors, load the trailer and go!
- separate building so it's fate is not tied in with the main house.
- less likely to be left open

Cons:
- Not as secure as the garage
- I'd have to go outside to access the gear (in the event of a bug in).
- No temperture control.
-since the shed is not attached to the house, it is considered "outside the curtilage" for LE search warrant purposes

I've just added my $.02 . . . .
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:26:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Garage:
Pros:
- Never Freezes
- Easy access if the gear is needed for a 'bug in'
- Easy to load the gear for camping if I'm camping 'light'
-since the garage is attached to the house, it is considered "inside the curtlige" for LE search warrant purposes

Cons:
-Takes up room in the garage (I'd love to have a 2nd workbench in the garage).
- In the event of a house emergency (say like a fire) it's likely I'd lose my emergency gear (including tent and bedding).

Shed:
Pros:
- It is located near where the trailer will be stored - open the doors, load the trailer and go!
- separate building so it's fate is not tied in with the main house.
- less likely to be left open

Cons:
- Not as secure as the garage
- I'd have to go outside to access the gear (in the event of a bug in).
- No temperture control.
-since the shed is not attached to the house, it is considered "outside the curtlige" for LE search warrant purposes

I've just added my $.02 . . . .

Um.... dont you have those backwards??

No, but I'll try to make it clearer: "The curtilage is the area immediately surrounding and associated with the home and to which extends the intimate activity associated with the sanctity of a man's home and the privacies of life. The curtilage is provided Fourth Amendment protection; open fields are not."  So, his garage is protected; his shed is not.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Guys - thanks for the discusson on warrents.  

One last comment on this issue.  Always remember, what is tolerable/acceptable/socially-appropriate/legal changes as the political climate in the country changes.  Rmember how things were under Clinton?  What is OK today, may not be tomorrow, or in a SHTF environment.  The point is, what YOU chose to remain private and hidden from prying (warrantless) eyes should remain that way . . . . . Especially after the '08 elections.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey Forest

What about an add on to the shed. Maybe another room on the side that you can see from the house. You could put your big bulky camping stuff in there and keep your food/water in the garage, as it has worked thus far.

I can't stand my garage being all "Crapped Up" as when we moved in. Its all car stuff only except on shelf that holds TP and other paper products.

Always wondered why some neighbors don't ever park in their garages, until you see thedoor up. holy Crap.

just my .02 brother
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#19]
I did not notice any one suggest insulating the shed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top