Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 10:09:56 AM EDT
My girl and I were talking and she wants to put together a bag for her car.  This would be for a stuck in the car during winter, or ice storm knocks out power situation.  She was hoping to use a camelback (3L, 1400ci).   How long can she store water in it?  I would like to keep it simple.  Socks, long johns, water, clif bars, space blanket, flashlight, extra cash, sunscreen, duct tape, para cord, signal mirror.  What else would you throw in there.  Should I include some way to cook a hot meal?  Melt snow for water?  Trying to make this a fun project as we ease into serious home preps.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you have a good start.  I am by no means an expert, but I would include means to start a fire and a small knife.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
An emergency candle, the Coleman type emergency kinds, although during the summer they will melt in the heat.   You also might want to think about a road flare to signal passing cars and ropes/chains for pulling the car out of snowbanks.  In my car kit I also keep a small LED keychain light and a couple of glow sticks for light.  A small Bic lighter.

I didn't see gloves on your list.

As for a hot meal, how about an MRE?  Self contained heater.

As for the water in a Camelback.  I forgot to take the water out of mine before I deployed last and discovered it when I returned seven months later.  There wasn't anything growing in mine, but I wouldn't trust it over a month, maybe two if I had to.  I just go with regular bottled water, a couple of liters.

For melting snow into water, this take a long time to get any appreciable water, but if she insists, try a Sierra cup or a canteen cup over the candle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:21:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally,

I'd add at least two sources of fire...perhaps a Blastmatch/tinder cubes, and some petroleum jelly coated cotton and a Bic?

Might consider some method of purifying water, if there is a high likelihood of snow...might be easier than maintaining a large stock of water in the Camelbak that needs rotation and maintenance...she could just fill, melt, fill and purify.  

A tarp to kneel on if required, a good wool blanket or emergency bivy like the ones from Adventure Medical, an extra hat and gloves and some wet wipes to clean up with.

Perhaps a basic first aid kit with some OTC meds like Tylenol and Immodium, a good book and some china markers, sharpies and index cards to leave messages.

I second the idea for an MRE or some other self-contained heater meal.  Along with some Jolly Ranchers or something, some teabags/instant coffee or hot chocolate.

Good luck, keep us posted!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=17&t=605573

Read die-tryin's post he uses a camelbak for a ghb and it's very well rounded.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
How far would she look to be traveling?
Is this a 7-8 mile stroll through snow, or a 25+ mile hike?

Easiest suggestion that I can make myself, that I don't see a lot of people making, is footwear.  A decent pair of insulated, waterproof hiking boots or similar.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
At this point i'm not really thinking about her walking anywhere.  Just making her comfortable until the road is passible, somebody sees her car off the road etc.

Thanks for all of the responses.  We made another trip out this afternoon and picked up most of the things you suggested.

I did come up with some more questions.

1. Emergency candles.  I saw the opaque 3 pack of 9 hr candles.  Are these the ones you are talking about?  What do you use to hold them?  I also saw one in a little tin with three wicks.  It was supposed to last 36 hrs.  Are these going to warm the car up a bit?  Does she need to crack a window to use one.

2. We got some clif bars and bagged tuna.  I would like to include some mres for a hot meal.  Where can I get them?  Cost isn't really an object im only going to buy a few.

3.What is an esbit stove and where do you get them?

4. What water filter would be best?  It would be a carried a lot and used a little item.

I appreciate the help guys.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]

link

also a headlamp.

a large coffee can, isopropyl alcohol, and roll of toilet paper.  Combined they make a car heater.  Make sure and lower the car window a few inches.  I've never done it myself fyi.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#8]
If staying with the car when snowed in/in ditch of snow:
Put hood up (to make it noticable). Run car for a few munites every hour to keep things warm (clear exaust pipe before).
Only have blinkers/lights on while car is running so as not to drain the batt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Tampons, midol, and a pair of earplugs (for you).
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:02:26 PM EDT
[#10]
A biggie for signaling, don't forget a good whistle. Best thing going for getting attention at night and when you can't use line of sight with a signaling mirror.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Just my .2 , but I figure your way more into it than she is, and while firestarters and stuff may be fun for you, she probably wont appreciate them until too late.

I'd personally stick to more user friendly stuff for the girlfriend than camelbak's and blastmatches. Perhaps a few 20oz. bottles of water, a half dozen chemical handwarmers would be more appreciated if she had to stay in her car for a couple hours. Easily bought and replaced as she uses them when its not an emergency.
I know I lack in keeping my cellphone charged, maybe a cheap disposable cellphone charger would be a nice addition so she can reach you if her car stalled or other minor inconvenience. And they are fairly cheap at Walmart (I know Energizer makes one for Motorola plugged phones).

What about a small pocket size survival manual like they sell in the Sports dept. for about 5 bucks? She's gonna be sitting and waiting for you, she may decide to read something and it could help pique her interest.

Cash is always a good idea to stick in a GHB. 100 bucks will get you a long way if you lose your credit card and need gas money home, or need to buy small things when the power is out. just make sure to carry small bills, as most station attendants I have the pleasure of frequenting cant make change for a $5 without a calculator.

Perhaps a small 3 AAA LED flashlight, and a small cricket type click light too, the little one will never need a battery change.

Not sure what size Camelbak you are going to try, but make sure it will fit over her cold weather gear, some have very short shoulder straps and can be a pain with just a light t shirt let alone a goretex parka. lol

Anyway goodluck!

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:28:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.adventuremedicalkits.com/images_products/ESS/0140-0223.jpg

link

also a headlamp.

a large coffee can, isopropyl alcohol, and roll of toilet paper.  Combined they make a car heater.  Make sure and lower the car window a few inches.  I've never done it myself fyi.

picked one up today, but it wasn't #2.  guess i got the first version.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:29:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A biggie for signaling, don't forget a good whistle. Best thing going for getting attention at night and when you can't use line of sight with a signaling mirror.

got a fox4o and a signal mirror
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#14]
lots of good stuff.  looks like i am going to be making several more trips to get this thing done.  Keep it coming
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Seperate gear and clothes.  Gear stays in car, clothes fit the season as there should be some in there year round.

Set up gear to fit tailgating.  When you can go to a local park in January, pull out the gear and serve lunch without freezing, you are there.  That is how I started my daughter when she was around 8.  She knows how to use all the gear in my truck.

Winter vehicle survival requires extra thought and gear.  Keep gas tank filled, run engine for 15 minutes, turn off for 15.  Never let car freeze up dead.  Keep tail pipe clear of snow and crack open a down wind window or door to prevent carbon monoxide from building up.  Add safe heat sources like candles lantern and small coleman heater.  Space blankets taped over inside glass prevent heat loss.

Link to esbit stove info

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=605749
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Not necessarily just for getting stuck in snow, but jumper cables, maybe a small battery powered compressor in case of a flat tire?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#17]
How about a small shovel/e-tool? Have also heard that a bag or 2 of cat litter can be used for traction if only "slightly" stuck. A newer model cell phone with GPS would be useful in helping rescuers locate her.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top