Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2007 4:43:43 PM EDT
Okay I deleted the original post because I just wrote it wrong My original intention was this.

We spend a lot of time and money buying the quietest generators we can afford. We spend a lot of time and money in our preps making sure we are hidden from the normal populace so we do not attract attention. How many of us have BOV's that are so noisy that you can hear it coming from 5 miles away?  I'm well prepared on everything except my Jeep's ability to rattle windows as I start it in the morning here. Does it make sense to quiet down our BOV's? or when the time comes will it really matter?
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I just went shooting with a buddy.  He drove.  His truck is a Dodge half ton 4x4, with some pretty serious tires, and has a big, noisy engine.

I was amazed at how much louder his truck is than mine.  I have a V6 F150, and all-purpose leaning toward off-road tires.  Comparing the two, mine on the highway is quieter than his is idling, and when those tires start to rumble on the road! whoa!  I like the sound of a nice V8, but I think I'd get tired of it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#3]
What about a glass packed resonator? Depending on the length of the resonator, the amount of dB absorbed will differ. I think a 12" resonator should drop ~6-9dB. Should also give your car a deeper throb to the exhaust, as the glass packs tend to remove hi-freq noise from the system.

ETA you can also get clmap on/weld on ones
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You want quiet, run stock exhaust.  No headers, stock mufflers.  You loose a bit of the high end, but if it's an off-roader, you don't need the top end.  Too much flow can hurt low RPM performance, insufficient back pressure.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
hmm. whyd the author delete their post? odd.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Okay I deleted the original post because I just wrote it wrong My original intention was this.

We spend a lot of time and money buying the quietest generators we can afford. We spend a lot of time and money in our preps making sure we are hidden from the normal populace so we do not attract attention. How many of us have BOV's that are so noisy that you can hear it coming from 5 miles away?  I'm well prepared on everything except my Jeep's ability to rattle windows as I start it in the morning here. Does it make sense to quiet down our BOV's? or when the time comes will it really matter?

Golly and you might save a lot of money by not taking off the factory exhaust.  I've only used a replacement muffler when the original rusted out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Golly and you might save a lot of money by not taking off the factory exhaust.  I've only used a replacement muffler when the original rusted out.

Hmmm....
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
i just replaced my off road (MT/R) tires with all terains

the noise level inside was reduced dramaticly and my wife recognized my truck a block or more away now im in the driveway before she notices.

stock exhaust and quiet tires are the way to go
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
i have a friend, nice guy, ex-marine but kinda an idiot when it come to his truck. he has an absolutelly huge suburban, biggest i've seen for a while, and he brags constantlly about his truck and how badassed it is. he's running 44 " tires and has a built bigblock motor getting probabally like 7mpg. maybe it's a froidian thing, i don't know...

but he also brags about how loud his truck is. he had custom work done to it and 4'' exhaust pipes with resonating tips blah blah , i stopped listening. and i haven't had the heart to tell the guy that it makes so much noise that he'll draw anyone with a rifle in a mile+(outside of the city anyway) radious to be waiting in ambush by the time he nears their position. and actully the truck is far to big and cumbersome to be worth a shit on any trails here in the heavily wooded forests of western Va. it'd be pretty badassed in a snow covered field, i guess, but that's about it. the damn thing even moreso than a comoflaged vechicle, loudly screems look at me, look at me, shoot this way!...

after reading "lost and found" i'm thinking about something new for my BOV. on of the main characters has an atv he custom fitted a second exhaust onto and he hen ran it at night wearing NVGs. well i don't plan to go quite that far although it is a good idea in conjunction with blackout lights. but seeing as my toyota is in need of an exhaust job anyway(the truck is 22 yers old but only has 122k miles and apparentelly a 22re should ruun for near 300k, but we use so much salt on the roads here in va that vechicles generally had uberbad rust issues) i may look into having my exhaust guy, add a second muffler to the exhaust system, i curentelly have headers, and a single half rusted out muffler and the pipe has rusted off behind the muffler, and my truck still is fairly quiet, but i think i now want to be able to run silent...
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
All terrain tires and stock exhaust. It's still got the V-8 growl, but won't wake the neighbors.

Edit for speeling
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#13]
When my factory system rusted out I put in one of these with a mandrel bent cat back system for my truck.  It was affordable and easy to install.  It lasted till I got rid of the truck a couple years later.

ETA near factory quiet, I really could not tell that it was louder.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#14]
all I can say is if your trying to get somewhere without attracting attention, quiet is the way to go.

"SF" guys don't go around banging pots when they are in enemy territory.

unless that's what the locals are doing all the time
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#15]
In Nam we used load speakers to freak out the VC and let them know we were coming. I guess the world has changed a little since then......

02 Skymasters bringing the tunes to the vc
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had this thought more than once, as well.  The loudest vehicle I've ever had the displeasure to be around was a Dodge diesel pickup.  With my windows up, A/C and radio on I could hear it clearly at over a mile distant.  I guess it's a macho thing, but I just don't get why a pickup needs to louder than a gawdamned 18 wheeler.  Makes me want to blow shit up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
In Nam we used load speakers to freak out the VC and let them know we were coming. I guess the world has changed a little since then......

02 Skymasters bringing the tunes to the vc

Yea and the Soviets shouted "hurrah" three times before an attack during WWII.  It unnerved green German troops but calmed troops who had been in the game a bit.

It would not surprise me that we got like results for our efforts in South East Asia.

Now you've hijacked your own thread.  So which is it loud or quiet BOV that you want?

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]
4 banger TJ with stock exhaust and all season tires.  I may take a while to get there and I probably can't roll over lines of wrecked cars but it'll do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top