Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2007 4:05:55 PM EDT
I'd like to be able to have illumination without killing my night vision.  What are my options here?
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the size off the top of my head, but filters on LED lights seriously cut the light output your usually better off getting a colored LED I ended up with 2 Surefire L1's in Red & Green.

I have a link for flip open covers that I can't find at the moment.
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
fossil. 18.5 yrs in military and substantial night ops give me a little firsthand anecdotal knowlege on this, but if i recall there are two experts onthis somewhere on arfcom - all light will cost you a degree of night vision, the red light is generally accepted to be the lesser of all evils.  Green light hurts nv, just like blue or white.  Best thing is to use light discipline and moonlight.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Found the link but the smallest they have is 1" which will be too large.

Quake industries
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Using a filter over a white LED is hideously inefficient - you'll only get a few pecent of the unfiltered light out of it.

Personally, I'd look into carrying a second flashlight for night vision - something like a red Photon microlite on a keychain should suffice, since it would probably only be used on an infrequent basis.

If you want to get spendy, Eveready makes a mil-spec "Hard Case" flashlight that has white, blue, red and IR LEDs in a 2AA form factor - link here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you want to illuminate?

NV may be what you need, but you have to ask your question better, grasshopper.

Link Posted: 8/2/2007 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#6]
you wouldnt want blue. it is one of the hardest colors on the eyes at night. green or red are the best and they will not spook game if your hunting.
Link Posted: 8/2/2007 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Red light will affect your night vision the least but is visible by others from a long ways off.  Also most military / tactical maps are made for use under red lights and don't have features in red (which become invisible under red light).  

A dim blue light is hard to see from a distance if there's any moonlight around but is almost as bad as a white light on your night vision.  Also not good for map reading because there are many features in various shades of blue.

Best to have both and know when to use each.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
sounds like a dedicated red LED light would be the way to go.  The use would be primarily for backcountry camping, I need a light bright enough see whether the animal crashing though the treeline 40 yards away in the middle of the night is a bear or just a deer, but i also need to be able to see afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's just your naked eyes, go with a dedicated red light. If you are wanting to supplement a Night Vision Device, go with green or blue if you can't get ahold of an IR light. I find that red is extremely detrimental, on par with with white light, when using Night Vision Goggles. I mean, take a look at the C-17 cargo aircraft. The original backlighting in the flightdeck and the cargo hold was red. They have since switched to green. And these are the planes that were built to be flown on NOGs.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#10]
If I need a ton of light (like the Fenix), I'm not worried about remaining hidden and my night vision is guaranteed to be shot anyway.

As such, I also carry a Minimag with the red-led nite-eyez upgrade.  Pure red without the overkill.  Just enough to remain discrete and retain my night vision.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:59:41 AM EDT
[#11]
[Hijack]
The P3D with Cree Q5 LED's will be released on 10/15/07.
Output is advertised:
• General Mode: 12 lumens (65hrs) -> 53 lumens (13hrs) -> 120 lumens (4.8hrs) -> SOS
• Turbo Mode: 215 lumens (1.8hrs) -> Strobe
• Utilizes a Premium (Q5) Cree 7090 XR-E LED with a life of 50,000 hours
Owner's manual that was e-mailed to me from Fenix Customer Service
[/Hijack]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
[Hijack]
The P3D with Cree Q5 LED's will be released on 10/15/07.
Output is advertised:
• General Mode: 12 lumens (65hrs) -> 53 lumens (13hrs) -> 120 lumens (4.8hrs) -> SOS
• Turbo Mode: 215 lumens (1.8hrs) -> Strobe
• Utilizes a Premium (Q5) Cree 7090 XR-E LED with a life of 50,000 hours
Owner's manual that was e-mailed to me from Fenix Customer Service
[/Hijack]

sweeeeeeeet

MSRP?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
MSRP?
The selling price should be the same as the P3D-RB100, about $65 or less.

For the record...
I picked up a Surefire  9P® tonight and took it outside after dark and compared the distance (throw) abilities of my Fenix P3D Premium 100.

In the dry chilly NC night air, the P3D whipped the 9P's tailcap.  And it has about double the run time, and uses 1/3 less batteries that the 9P does.

Also, we responded to a wreck yesterday while I was on duty.  After the injured were cared for, I ended up having to direct rush hour traffic around the disabled vehicles.  I used the strobe function of the P3D to get driver's attention, in the bright afternoon sun.  Nobody missed it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I stumbled across this Doug Ritter article yesterday and found it interesting:

Green or Red better for night vision?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not just buy the freaking red filter they already sell for the light in question?  It works great.

LINK

I mean come on it is only $6 and you get a 8% discount with teh CPF8 code on the webiste and free shipping.

Get the diffuser to turn it into a lamp too while you are at it.

LINK #2

It is a whopping $5 minus the 8% discount.

Dont listen to people about needing a seperate red LED.  The red filter and diffuser will work exactly as you need it to.

The filter for the Fenix llows plenty of light through but dims total outout.  It is more redish orange then pure red because its designed for LED use.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top