Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2007 12:18:45 PM EDT
Ok someone just gave me one of those holiday gift boxes of sausage and cheese

He was like "I had it laying around since the holidays and have no use for it" I looked at it and thought that it was bad because it looked like you should refrigerate it but everything says "refrigerate after opening"

so my question is what is the self life on this stuff?
it has crackers, cheeses, and sausages.

here is a pick from the company site (hickory farms)

Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#1]
dayphotog -

I don't have a full answer, but I can tell you that I once had an opened  Italian dry salami sit in a closet for four years. When I found it, I lopped off about 2 inches from the opened end, and the rest was good to go. I'm sure the high salt content of the meat and the cool, dry environment  had a lot to do with it staying good. My cast-iron gut probably helped too
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
ive ate the "summer" sausge  2 summers after i bought it

YMMV... but i ve also eaten 7+ yr old canned tamales and shit for fun
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 1:16:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ive ate the "summer" sausge  2 summers after i bought it

YMMV... but i ve also eaten 7+ yr old canned tamales and shit for fun

Whew...I feel sorry for your wife.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#4]
it should be fine, if air is kept off of the actual food product it should last a long long time

Cheese and preserved meat will last a long time (ever wonder why in the old days they sealed it all in wax?  kept it from going bad)
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#5]
How could your friend not have use for sausage and cheese?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#6]
they should each have expiration dates on them...

and no, you don't have to refrigerate them because of the way they're sealed, but it does extend shelf life if they're kept at cool temps...

and a +1 on how in the world does your friend not have a use for sausage and cheese?  is he vegetarian?  those little yummy things never make it close to going bad at my house...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top