Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 6:03:40 AM EDT
Woke up to Mike and Mike in the morning last week. A few minutes later, I heard an explosion. The power was out--transformer blew.

Got cleaned up, and went into the basement to get things rolling. We have a gated walk-out under our porch from the basement. Secure, ventilated, dry--the perfect place for a generator.

I took out both Honda EU2000is, filled them with gas from one of my MFCs, and had them going within a few pulls. Ran one cord to the sump pump and small freezer, and the other to the fridge. My wife was also very happy to use the hair dryer.

We came back home 12 hours later. The power was back on and both generators hummed away for another 3 hours until the gas tanks ran dry. We went for a walk around the block and couldn't hear a thing--the walk out really muffles the already quiet generators.

This pair of Hondas is amazing. They are light, efficient, and ridiculously quiet. They can run a few essentials during an extended power outage. You can parallel them together to function as a 4kW generator, as well. Plus, I have two--redundancy is a great thing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one EU2000i (from www.wisesales.com) that I picked up in December which thankfully I haven't needed to fire up yet. I'm debating getting a second and parallel kit.  

I picked up the EU2000i after much research and the db level and meager fuel consumption were what sealed the deal for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Same here.

I've only had mine for a couple months, and will be doing the initial oil change today.  Running mobil 1 10/30.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I've recently picked up an EU1000i for use in post-hurricane extended timeframe outages.

I have a Coleman 6250 that drinks 10 gallons per 24 hour period that is just too difficult to feed after a couple of days.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Honda EU3000 for use with our travel trailer.  I'm looking at getting a EU2000i to use for weekend camping trips.  The 3000 is a little on the heavy side to take for just a weekend.

One thing I found out while looking at the EU2000i is that the Canadain models don't let you hook up 2 in series.  At least the 2000 is small enough to fit on the front rack of my ATV.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:10:53 AM EDT
[#5]

I have a Coleman 6250 that drinks 10 gallons per 24 hour period that is just too difficult to feed after a couple of days.

Ouch! I can see where you have a problem with that...

The little one bangers are not too great on fuel use. I have a 10KW 4cyl model that uses around .25 gallon an hour under load (not a full load, but enough to run our house).

The breakdown that you provided shows that your gen set is using .41 gallons an hour, last time we had a major power outage for 4+ days I only had to refill the 12 gallon tank once (and even then it was still more than 1/4 full). We ran the gen set from 9A to 11P continuous and were only sucking down around 4 gal a day.

I still feel naked if we don't have at least 60 gallons of fuel for the generator

We bought a new gen set that will soon replace the 10KW, it has the same fuel use profile but uses diesel and provides 12KW instead. The 10KW gennie will become the gasoline backup

I know that it is not workable for everyone, but I guess my point is that the bigger the gen set is, the less fuel it uses per KW (yes I am ready to be corrected, this is an observation based only upon my own experience).

As always, YMMV...

c0

98% of the population is asleep. The other 2% are staring around in complete amazement, abject terror, or both.
falloutshelter653.org
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the two  Honda eu2000i's for camping.  They are the cats meow.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I have two with the parallel cable. They are expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top