Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2007 7:56:42 PM EDT
Walking through Wallmart today I saw the Nite Ize LED upgrate for C and D cells for $8 and change.

Has anyone used this product?  I realize it is probably not as good as some $40 upgrades, but I was looking for some opinions.

LINK
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The 2D cell version sucked so bad, I dug the packaging out of the trash and took it back to Wally World.

Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The 2D cell version sucked so bad, I dug the packaging out of the trash and took it back to Wally World.

I agree completely. They sux.

The $18 LED from MagLite is pricy, but I'll admit I'm using one. Current drain [ie battery life] is probably twice or more of the new Fenix Cree flashlights.

ETA and the Fenix is way brighter.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

There's only one version of the PR2-style LED conversion bulb, which is advertised as being usable on 2 to 6 cells. (Actually, it'll light up with just one cell!)

The brightness increases considerably with 3 or more cells, and it draws less current, too. With 2-cell lights, it's a major disappointment...With 3 or more cells , it's quite usable (as long as you remember that it's optimized for run-time, rather than brightness).

I keep one in the spare bulb holder of my 3 D-cell MAG-Light - It's much dimmer than the main 3-watt MAG-LED bulb, but it'll run for many hundreds of hours on a single set of batteries (perfect for a long-term SHTF situation).
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
i didn't have a problem with the one for my minimag.  what didn't you guys like about it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the NiteIze pr bulb replacement. And I agree it mostly sucks. Hooked up in my 6v lantern, it puts out less light than just about any light I own. It would probably run for weeks though. Its great for nightlights, or a tent light. But your not going to see whats across the street with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i didn't have a problem with the one for my minimag.  what didn't you guys like about it?

The mini mag version and the D cell version are two different beasts.  The mini mag version is worth the 6 bucks or so.  The D cell version is crap.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have the NiteIze pr bulb replacement. And I agree it mostly sucks. Hooked up in my 6v lantern, it puts out less light than just about any light I own. It would probably run for weeks though. Its great for nightlights, or a tent light. But your not going to see whats across the street room with it.

fixed
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Waste of money.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:06:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought one for my GF's 3D maglite.  It sucked so bad, not worth the pack it came in.

Now, the Maglight brand LED bulb is worth the money, but it only works one size of light.

but...... the Nite Ize LED bulb for AA's is a great upgrade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top