Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2007 6:26:40 PM EDT
Has anyone read the new expanded version of "Patriots?"

I read an old online copy of the original version, when it was called Triple Ought.  Is the new one worth purchasing for an extra two chapters?
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 8:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Something I would like to know as well...
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Something I would like to know as well...

My general impression of the author is not favorable, and I base that from his writings on his website.  

However, I read the online version of that book and I thought it was a great read, because it was a passable story and included a lot of useful information despite being a work of fiction. I found the situations fairly plausible, if not the events that caused those situations to come about.

I'd say it probably is worth owning a hard copy and I will be adding the book to my library.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a hard copy of the book, it's worth it. I have read it 3 times already.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:11:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 5:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I just started reading the new expanded version last night.  I'm on page 48 and will let you know.  I didn't know the 2nd edition was coming when I bought the 1st edition a month before it came out, so I guess I 'll keep the first print in mint condition.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:12:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I read it online too, and I don't think I could do it again anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]
between triple ought & Patriots there is not much added - don't know about the expanded version.  The story while plausible, also is ridiculous in some areas. Triple Ought read like a rough draft, and was cleaned up a bit in Patriots, but hardly great writing.  The information presented makes sense in some areas, and little in others, but much of that may be colored by personal experience, bias,  etc...

I purchased Patriots after reading triple ought - sold it as soon as I finished it as it did not add anything significant to the story line of triple ought.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently read Triple Ought.
My personal feeling is why would I pay for a couple of additional chapters, when there are so many other entirely new stories out there to be read.

Actually, I've read so much survival fiction lately I'm starting to lose interest.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the new version, but since I never read the old version I really couldn't tell you if it's worth it.

While it was a good read and somewhat plausible, I too thought other parts were ridiculous.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and would recommend it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I believe it is worth it.  

They make great Christmas gifts too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top