Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2007 10:37:17 AM EDT
I don't drink booze and don't plan on startting; but was wondering what if any booze I should have in my food storage plan? For bartering, or would I be better served by spending money on the usual food stuff?
TIA
M
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#2]
in the event of a true SHTF scenario, depending on how long it goes on, luxury items will be worth ALOT. If I were to store anything alchohol wise, it would be pure grain.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I rarely drink, and y folks didn't at all.

For some reasin, however, my mom stocked up on booze planning for partis some 40 or 50 years ago, and never used it. When she passed, I inherited about 50 bottle of it, both the mainstays, bourbon, scotch, rum, vodka and gin, and a bunch of exotics, brandies, liquers, fruit flavirings etc.

From my samplings, it remains viable for very long time, even if opened before storing. I have yet to find any problems with the stockpile.

If you are going to stock liquor for bartering purposes, I suggest starting with the mainstays, the most popular types and brands, so that your trading stock will bring higher returns. Keep in mind that some popular mixers may not be possible under a SHTF scenario, which may affect your stockpile's value.

There are some downsides to stockpiling liquor, and based on past experience, I expect future posts will address them.

:-)
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
6 pack of 1.75Ls of cheap Vodka will run you ~$60

Probaly would be a good trade item, talk to the owner if you normally get a few bottles they will cut you about 5-10% off
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Check your laws. If traded in anything but an EOTW situation could get you get in big trouble.

Here in KY transportation of any amount over 2 cases of beer or 2 fifths of hard liquor is a felony(unless you are a licensed distributor). Generally, it is not enforced very much unless they have reason to believe that you plan on reselling it with out a license.
Distribution(sale) with out a license is also a felony.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#6]
  I keep some hard liquor and a half dozen cases of cheap beer on hand.
I only drink once or twice a week, so its about as much as I can store and
keep rotated.  If SHTF, I don't plan to be drinking much.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not thinking of a large stash; just two or three bottles.
Thanks for the input guys.
M
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I just realized sitting here that I've got two bottles of Champane from our wedding 27 years ago. We didn't drink it at the wedding; but we got that for the relatives.
Hmmmmn...
I guess that I should give that to my BIL.
M
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are already well stocked and have the space I'd say it can't hurt.  A bottle or two of Whiskey, Vodka, Gin, or Rum might be worth alot if SHTF.

Whit
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't drink a drop. Never have. Never will.

But there's a fifth of whiskey and a bottle of Vodka in my stash. For whatever they might be needed for down the road...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:53:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Check your laws. If traded in anything but an EOTW situation could get you get in big trouble.

Here in KY transportation of any amount over 2 cases of beer or 2 fifths of hard liquor is a felony(unless you are a licensed distributor). Generally, it is not enforced very much unless they have reason to believe that you plan on reselling it with out a license.

holy shit, that's retarded. like tj said, get something at least decent or well known, jack, crown, captain, maybe some good scotch, maybe tito's vodka, everclear is great for all kinds of shit and isn't to bad. i don't plan to trade, but you never know, and unlike guns and ammo, tradin someone a bottle of hooch, they cant use it against you. smokes aren't a bad idea either, but they don't last that long. seeds?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

holy shit, that's retarded. like tj said, get something at least decent or well known, jack, crown, captain, maybe some good scotch, maybe tito's vodka, everclear is great for all kinds of shit and isn't to bad. i don't plan to trade, but you never know, and unlike guns and ammo, tradin someone a bottle of hooch, they cant use it against you. smokes aren't a bad idea either, but they don't last that long. seeds?

you can buy seeds for tobacco :) Start growing and rolling your own, easy as pie.

http://www.coffinails.com/seeds.html this site also has a fairly active tobacco growing community, and growing advice forum etc etc. pretty good, I knew the guy that owned the site for a while, but he actually got some kind of cancer, and died from it :( Now i believe his daughter runs it?

all you need is 1 package of seeds, and tobacco plants when they go to seed, will give you thousands upon thousands of seeds, thats each plant thousands for each plant.

So you are pretty much set after that. easy to grow also.

seeing the seeds is a different matter if your eyes are bad! they are very small.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]
i keep everyclear adn jack if someone get hurt real real bad the ever clear can be used like a pain killer. cuz anyone that has very been real drunk stuff doesnt hurt near that bad. or when they are driving drunk and have a wreck they hardly ever get hurt
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#16]
In a SHTF situation, I would not want any contact with someone who would trade anything that may be precious (ammo, seeds, wood, skills, etc) for liquor!  Liquor is a drug just like crack or meth. I don't want that type of person to know who I am, where I am, what I want, or what I have.  Only addicts will be looking for liquor during SHTF and life will be easier if they are looking somewhere else.  They will tend to keep coming around if they score once and who would want to invite that kind of situation if it can be avoided?

Hell, I avoid them now and sure don't want them around during times of kaos.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

you can buy seeds for tobacco :) Start growing and rolling your own, easy as pie.

http://www.coffinails.com/seeds.html this site also has a fairly active tobacco growing community, and growing advice forum etc etc. pretty good, I knew the guy that owned the site for a while, but he actually got some kind of cancer, and died from it.

lung cancer?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Store some high-proof grain alcohol.   Its got a ton of valid medicinal uses (cleaning instruments, etc) and can also be used in stoves like those on  Zen Backpacking Stoves.

Also consider buying a still.  If you can distill your own high-proof, you can dilute any gasoline you get to the level that your car will run on.  Many new cars will support up to E80 or 80% ethanol.  That will sure stretch a few gallons of gas a long ways.  Coming up with the corn to produce the ethanol is left to the reader as an exercise.    

Booze isn't just for drinking and don't restrict your supplies as if it were.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I keep trying to stock up.

But TRG and I keep drinking it.

Oh well, back to the liquor store.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In a SHTF situation, I would not want any contact with someone who would trade anything that may be precious (ammo, seeds, wood, skills, etc) for liquor!  Liquor is a drug just like crack or meth. I don't want that type of person to know who I am, where I am, what I want, or what I have.  Only addicts will be looking for liquor during SHTF and life will be easier if they are looking somewhere else.  They will tend to keep coming around if they score once and who would want to invite that kind of situation if it can be avoided?

I disagree.  Some fairly normal folks would probably trade to get the chance to relax a bit if things go to shit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree.  Some fairly normal folks would probably trade to get the chance to relax a bit if things go to shit.

Well, Jimbeam... are your objective in you analysis?

Just making fun with your name    
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Also consider buying a still.  If you can distill your own high-proof, you can dilute any gasoline you get to the level that your car will run on.  

Not a bad idea if we get to TEOTWAWKI, but gotta proceed really, really carefully here--particularly if you contemplate changing the idea into a practical capability. Distillation of hard alcohol is still on the BATFE's no-no list, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't drink that much but having plenty around just makes me feel good.

This threads making me thirsty
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.coffinails.com/seeds.html this site also has a fairly active tobacco growing community, and growing advice forum etc etc. pretty good, I knew the guy that owned the site for a while, but he actually got some kind of cancer, and died from it.

lung cancer?

nope, was some kind of cancer that surrounded his spine... thats why i dont know what kind of cancer.

but cancer all the same :/
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:40:13 PM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Also consider buying a still.  If you can distill your own high-proof, you can dilute any gasoline you get to the level that your car will run on.  

Not a bad idea if we get to TEOTWAWKI, but gotta proceed really, really carefully here--particularly if you contemplate changing the idea into a practical capability. Distillation of hard alcohol is still on the BATFE's no-no list, AFAIK.

As far as I know in Colorado, you are permitted to distill liquor for personal consumption but no sales.   Either that or the companies that sell the distilling equipment here have found some loophole....
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I just realized sitting here that I've got two bottles of Champane from our wedding 27 years ago. We didn't drink it at the wedding; but we got that for the relatives.
Hmmmmn...
I guess that I should give that to my BIL.
M

I would be amazed if it was anything but vinegar by now.

Champagne loses its bubbles at about 10 years, and gets all kind of sediment in it after 11 or 12.

Sorry to disappoint you.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#27]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

RavenFire,

That and the illegal manufacture are both refered to as bootlegging, Class D felony.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm got golden grain on my "to get" list for medicinal purposes, of course.

GR
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Ethanol is easy to produce. Anyone that can make bread, can make crappy wine. Anyone that can hammer and solder can fabricate a still and churn out Headache-brand vodka.

Having 'some' might be convenient, but I wouldn't try to horde or stockpile. I haven't any plans to be the post apocalyptic liqour store.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:04:20 AM EDT
[#30]
If its going to be used for bartering, the small airline bottles would be handy, kind of like a currency if you will.
1 Jack and 1 Jose for a can of chili?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I think the real value of booze during a SHTF event will be for bribes, not barter.  

There will always be people in authority.  Weather it is getting past a road block to take care of important business, or getting permission to purchase a bus ticket or a chance to buy food from the store.  There is an infinite number of possibilities where you could need something controlled by someone else.

Think about the 3rd world today.  In some places I have lived, you don't just go to the train station and purchase a ticket.  They are always sold out. What you do is find someone who has connections and get them to purchase the ticket for you. This is made easier when you give them a nice gift (like a premium bottle of bourbon) along with the money to buy the tickets.

I personally do not drink very often, but I keep a decent supply of good bourbon, whiskey, scotch, rum, cognac, etc on hand.  I am ready to entertain guests at any time, and have suitable bribes or gifts ready at any time in the future.  Premium hard liquor will last forever and is not decreasing in price.  It is one item which, unlike gold, I know will always be in demand.

If I, or one of my immediate family members had a drinking problem, I would not keep a supply of booze around as the temptation would be too great.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as I know in Colorado, you are permitted to distill liquor for personal consumption but no sales.   Either that or the companies that sell the distilling equipment here have found some loophole....

I didn't think ANY distillation for personal use was legal as per ATF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top