Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2010 4:07:05 PM EDT
What's your favorite stick and where do you wave it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an Orvis 5 wt. I use it for fishing for bluegill and bass in N. MO and the occassional trip to my folks in E TN.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]

my favorite rod is my 8ft 6in cortland cl 5/6 wt.  it's served me well for over 4 years so far on small to larger streams

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:42:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Sage, 9' 5 wt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

my favorite rod is my 8ft 6in cortland cl 5/6 wt.  it's served me well for over 4 years so far on small to larger streams

8' 6" 5 wt with a DT is probably the most relaxing set up I have. I like it over my 6 wt Sage for smallies even though I'm limited to how much weight I can throw. Thanks for responding Nick.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite fly rod is a 9' 6 wt. Sage fiberglass rod that I made about '78 or so. Its been re-handled twice now since cork does wear out over time. Its caught a lot of fish over the years. Its the only two piece I still fish with.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite is not a rod I own. A friend who collected split bamboo rods brought me a Paul Young 7 1/2' 4wt that was flamed on alternating facets. It was a pleasure to fish as well as to look at. He offered it to me for $700 30 years ago. As a starving student I couldn't do it.

Currently my favorite steelhead rod is my 9 1/2' Winston BIIx. It flat out rocks!

For trout it would be one of my Sage LL's or my Winston 2 wt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#7]
My favorite rod met an early and unfortunate demise.  It was a very nice St Croix 5wt that I used a lot for any kind of fish around.  I loved using simple little poppers on bluegill, any number of bass lures, and although it was a little light for steelies, it made it fun.  

I've replaced it with another St Croix, a less expensive model, and it's just not the same.

Now the wheels are turning, have to start flipping through the catalogs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My favorite is not a rod I own. A friend who collected split bamboo rods brought me a Paul Young 7 1/2' 4wt that was flamed on alternating facets. It was a pleasure to fish as well as to look at. He offered it to me for $700 30 years ago. As a starving student I couldn't do it.

Currently my favorite steelhead rod is my 9 1/2' Winston BIIx. It flat out rocks!

im gonna own a nice bamboo rod one day soon hopefully and probably won't buy another modern rod

bit of a john gierach fan here

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#9]
9' Lamiglas 9 wt.   Use it for sockeye salmon on the russian and kenai rivers
LOVE it!
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorite rod is my 7'6" 4wt bamboo based off a modified thomas & thomas caenis taper I had built.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

im gonna own a nice bamboo rod one day soon hopefully and probably won't buy another modern rod

bit of a john gierach fan here

Try the 6 1/2' Winston 3wt bamboo! I have fished one and it was amaizing! It is bucks up$$$$ but you can still buy one.

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My favorite rod is my 7'6" 4wt bamboo based off a modified thomas & thomas caenis taper I had built.

Nice!
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#13]
My favorite is an H L Leonard my Grandfather gave me.

But, the one I like fishing with the most is an Echo 13' 7wt spey rod.  It's a hell of a lot easier on the shoulders. Anywhere from the Salmon River in NY to Yellowstone.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is my line up.

Winstons: 13"  8 / 9wt BIIX spey.....Bogdan no. 2
                 11" 7 wt BIIX..............Bogdan no  00
                  8' 9" 5 wt LT  5 pc.........Able ported .5
                  8' 3" 3 wt  LT  5 pc.........Able ported  0
                  9'  8 wt LT  3 pc............Uses the above Bogdan 00

Loomis GLX 11' 6"  8 / 9 wt  3pc.....Bogdan no 150

Sage 9' 6 wt  SP 4 pc.....Able .5 with 3 spare spools
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Right now I'm fishing a Cabelas Prestige 8'6" 5wt. Although I wanna pick up a 7' 3wt for the smaller streams I fish in central PA & western MD.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Here is my line up.

Winstons: 13"  8 / 9wt BIIX spey.....Bogdan no. 2
                 11" 7 wt BIIX..............Bogdan no  00
                  8' 9" 5 wt LT  5 pc.........Able ported .5
                  8' 3" 3 wt  LT  5 pc.........Able ported  0
                  9'  8 wt LT  3 pc............Uses the above Bogdan 00

Loomis GLX 11' 6"  8 / 9 wt  3pc.....Bogdan no 150

Sage 9' 6 wt  SP 4 pc.....Able .5 with 3 spare spools

I also have the 8'9" 5wt Winston, what a great rod! I defenitely covet the 13' 8/9 biix. It is regarded as one of the finest rods in it's class. Last season I bought a 7'6" 2wt for our small streams. I can't wait to give it a work out!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Sage Z Axis 7136, rocks with a 525 grain Rio Flight.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends on what I am doing….. Overall my favorite rods are my Sage SPL and SLT both are the 080-3 model. I also have a Sage TXL 000710-3 TXL that is in my favorite category. I mostly use those rods on small streams, but I have been known to throw them elsewhere

Usually on larger waters I grab my Orvis 865-2 ZG.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#19]
My Sage 7'-4' four-weight. I like chasing native brookies and bluegill with it. It's a great little rod.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I was trying to pick one, but now I know why parents can't pick their favorite kid.

9' 6/7 wt Chris Carlin quad for the tailwaters.  Protects 7x with decent size fish.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/ffcol/P1000449.jpg

7' 4 wt Bob Nunley for the small streams.  This is the type of fishing where I will never use graphite again.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/ffcol/Picture005.jpg

9' 7 wt Sage XP for streamers.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/ffcol/P1000462.jpg

It's pretty cool that ARFCOM has a flyfishing section.  I don't post much on other boards and look forward to sharing some trip reports in the future.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Solid spool .5 or is that a no.1 ?

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice fish!!!

How did they taste?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Solid spool .5 or is that a no.1 ?

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/ffcol/P1000449.jpg

The reel on the Carlin quad is an Abel 1 solid spool non ported.  Even though the rod is hollowbuilt, the 9' length wouldn't be comfortable with a reel of lesser weight.  Also, I like the non porting to keep crap from getting on the cork.  The spool is an older one when they didn't have an outgoing click.  That is the only thing I don't care for about this reel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nice fish!!!

How did they taste?

Excellent with some fava beans and a nice chianti.........

I haven't eaten a trout in years.  I either fish catch and release sections or hike in to where I don't want to carry fish back.  I've seen some of your picks and must say you have fishing that place with the big browns down to a science.  I fished there once for a couple of hours when I was considering moving to Boise and caught a few, but none that size.  I love the color on the browns and the aqua color of the water.  It was a little intimidating knowing where to fish being there the first time.  I wanted to hit almost every spot I saw and would probably fish there a ton if I lived up that way.  Especially with Idaho's closed season
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Story on the rainbow caught with the Sage XP.  I stopped at this really slow pool and saw some good fish sitting on the bottom.  I cast my nymph rig and spooked them.  I then rigged up the XP with a brown wooly bugger trailer to mimic a crayfish since the pool had a sandy bottom. I cast it at the very upstream end to avoid spooking them (some still did) and let it drift downstream to swing across  in front of a good fish I saw.  The fish slowly swam towards it and just looked at it for a while while I just let the fly sit there.  I gave it a twitch and saw the mouth open so I set the hook. As soon as the fish felt the hook it went straight under the shelf ice I was standing on.  The shelf ice went back about 5 feet and I know there is an undercut bank in this spot going even further back past the ice on top of that.  I had to go to the edge of the ice, kneel down and stick my rod under the water to keep the ice from breaking the line.  When I knelt down and put my weight forward on the edge of the ice, the ice broke and I started falling in head first.  I was able to utilize my ninja skills and quickly roll me and my line away from the huge chunk of shelf ice thaI broke off beneath me.  I grabbed the line and tugged and couldn’t believe the fish was still on.  The hole was too deep for me to jump in and play him from the water so I slowly put pressure on him while sliding downstream along the ice to a spot where I could hop in.  Once I got into the water I could only play him by pointing my rod tip right at him under the ice shelf each run he made since he would not come out.  I eventually get him into shallow water and landed him.  Glad I was using 3x on him since most of the nymhing here is with 6x.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice fish!!!

How did they taste?

Excellent with some fava beans and a nice chianti.........

I haven't eaten a trout in years.  I either fish catch and release sections or hike in to where I don't want to carry fish back.  I've seen some of your picks and must say you have fishing that place with the big browns down to a science.  I fished there once for a couple of hours when I was considering moving to Boise and caught a few, but none that size.  I love the color on the browns and the aqua color of the water.  It was a little intimidating knowing where to fish being there the first time.  I wanted to hit almost every spot I saw and would probably fish there a ton if I lived up that way.  Especially with Idaho's closed season

No worries. I was just givin ya a little crap about the fish on the ground/snow pics. I should have put a  after the "How did they taste".

As far as that river that is close to my house. Yea it is pretty cool to have such a place so close to my house. The other river that is close to my house I have fished quite a bit this year as well. Normally I like to fish small creeks etc up in the mountains, however this time of year my options are limited due to the regs. So I tend to fish the local tailwaters, then when the ID winter season closes I fish the river with the browns often till the other waters open up.

If you ever make it up here and want to fish that river let me know. I can give ya a few tips on fly selection and locations on that river.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top