Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2011 9:21:51 AM EDT
I live around the Houston area and the wife has demanded that we buy a boat, since we are now debt free.  She mostly wants the boat for skiing/general water fun in fresh water lakes.  She would like a deck boat for that purpose and to accommodate a larger number of people.  I like the skiing and recreation to, but I will also want a boat to fish out of and possibly to fish for reds in the coastal marshes.  I would like a V hulled aluminum boat that is a fish/ski.  Which would be better?  Whatever we go with will see very little salt water, mostly recreation and fishing in the fresh water lakes.  I would like a Yamaha 4 stroke outboard, but I don't know if an inboard would be a good option also.  Which engines, either inboard or outboard, should be avoided?  I've looked at Alumacraft, Lowe, and a couple of other aluminum boats.  Is there one manufacturer to be avoided?  Also have looked at Hurricanes and other deck boats.  Should any of these be avoided?  If you can't tell, I'm a boat newb.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Stay with an outboard. Yamaha's are fine engines as are the Mercury 4-strokes. Boat style is pretty much user specific. Go look at some and choose the deck layout you like. All the brands you mentioned are ok and I haven't seen any "bad things" about any of them.
Sterndrives, I/O's, are hard to work on. They stuff that big motor down in a tiny hole and expect you to get to the oil filter, starter etc...I hate sterndrives.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Stay with an outboard. Yamaha's are fine engines as are the Mercury 4-strokes. Boat style is pretty much user specific. Go look at some and choose the deck layout you like. All the brands you mentioned are ok and I haven't seen any "bad things" about any of them.
Sterndrives, I/O's, are hard to work on. They stuff that big motor down in a tiny hole and expect you to get to the oil filter, starter etc...I hate sterndrives.

Thanks for the info.  I would not have been looking at it that way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Sterndrives are more expensive to maintain too...and for good reason. Sterndrive owners pay for my chiropractor visits!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Aluminum will be noisy.   It is only that sheet of metal between you and the water.  This will cause you to hear the water hitting the boat very noticeably.
Fiberglass is far less noisy but other than that I don't personally have anything else to add.   I have owned both and currently have an aluminum boat.

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Am i correct in saying that for a given size/shape boat, an aluminum boat will be lighter than a fiberglass boat?

That's just what i've been told...

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]
If you use it for skiing, make sure to buy enough motor to pull the skier out of the water, alot of folks are far too under horsepowered.
Link Posted: 6/12/2011 8:23:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you use it for skiing, make sure to buy enough motor to pull the skier out of the water, alot of folks are far too under horsepowered.

Roger that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Am i correct in saying that for a given size/shape boat, an aluminum boat will be lighter than a fiberglass boat?

That's just what i've been told...

generally speaking yes, however there are some aluminum boats that are damn heavy but those aren't recreational boats
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends on usage, lakes, and experience too. A new boater is going to run into shit plain and simple. Aluminum is more forgiving than glass when you reach to hit the brakes and realize there aren't any.

I've had both and now have a 20ft Triton glass boat and love it but I have no complaints other than rougher ride and noise with tin.

As far as brands, Xpress and Lowe make excellent metal boats. I've owned an Xpress and it was everything I could have wanted at the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top