Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2011 5:11:55 AM EDT
If all goes well I'll be retiring in a year.

I'm looking at getting a small boat to put around on small lakes, COE lakes in Georgia and do a little fishing.  It needs to have a capaciaty for two people, a cooler etc. and seats that have backs.

I'm not lookog for anything fancy or fast.  I've spent a fair amount of time in a jon boat but I think something with a V hull would be better.  Maybe something about 13 feet long with a 5 hp motor?

Advice please, I want to keep the boat, motor and trailer package to under $4,000.00
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 5:42:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking at new or used?  

13footer with a 5 horse is going to be well under $4k used....i don't know about new, never looked.

Got my 15 foot bass boat with a 70horse for $1500

Just take a look at craigslist, you should be able to find something in the 13-14foot range with a V hull for fairly cheap.  Go buy a new  or couple year old motor for it(so you don't have to mess with an old outboard) and you will have tons of money left over for nice seats and accessories.  

Another idea would be to get a 50lb trolling motor and a couple good batteries....that will get you around quick and be much more quiet than a gas.  Probably cheaper up front too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 7:05:36 AM EDT
[#2]
quick reply, i just checked craigslist here and there are no less than 10 V hull aluminum boats for sale with anything from 9.9 horse running/not running up to 25 horse running and non running of all ages..

Priced from $500-3000......

There are a couple really nice fiberglass fishing boats setup with depth/fish finders trolling motors and outboards for $2-4k too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#3]
For 2 people to fish comfortably, you need at least a 14 footer. The cooler will take up alot of room as will the tackle, nets etc. Jon boats are easier to get out onto shore with too. You can walk right off the front of them. Hard to do in a vee hull and keep your feet dry. Mounting a trolling motor is easier on a jon due to it's flat bow. I would think for $4k you could get a 14 ft jon boat, trailer and slightly used if not new 5hp outboard. Lowe makes some jons that are deeper and wider than the traditional jon boat. You can get a livewell in the center seat also.
I'll post a link to the ones I was looking at..
ETA––  link
Lowe 1440m Modified vee bow design $1500 +/-. Remember, cash talks at boat dealers. There is no mad rush for people to buy new boats in this economy so dealers will be happy to deal on them.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top