Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2011 8:19:42 PM EDT
I have a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke.

It's a 2005 with about 10hrs on it.

When I first start it I have to prime the bulb (on the engine) it will start then die as if it's running out of fuel...I'll repeat the process (priming) until it runs long enough (which isn't long) to raise the idle.

After a few mins of the raised idle I can push the choke in...throttle back to neutral and it will run fine all day.

I go through this every time I use it.

Plugs look ok...fuel bulb on the tank line is firm...I just put some fresh gas (non-ethanol) with Seafoam in it thinking it may be carbon buildup...any ideas?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

When I first start it I have to prime the bulb (on the engine) it will start then die as if it's running out of fuel...I'll repeat the process (priming)until it runs long enough to raise the idle.

After a few mins of the raised idle I can push the choke in and it will run fine all day.

Plugs look ok...I just put some fresh gas with Seafoam in it thinking it may be carbon buildup...any ideas?

Thanks
if it only has 10 hours on it i wouldnt think carbon would be an issue. is it fresh gas ? ethonol gas or gas gas ?

Link Posted: 4/4/2011 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I first start it I have to prime the bulb (on the engine) it will start then die as if it's running out of fuel...I'll repeat the process (priming)until it runs long enough to raise the idle.

After a few mins of the raised idle I can push the choke in and it will run fine all day.

Plugs look ok...I just put some fresh gas with Seafoam in it thinking it may be carbon buildup...any ideas?

Thanks
if it only has 10 hours on it i wouldnt think carbon would be an issue. is it fresh gas ? ethonol gas or gas gas ?

Last year I started using ethanol free gas and I run it dry every time I use it (unplug the gas line until it dies...then prime it a few times until it wont even crank over) I was thinking carbon just because I don't use it much so it never really has a chance to warm up and run.

Link Posted: 4/4/2011 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Last year I started using ethanol free gas and I run it dry every time I use it (unplug the gas line until it dies...then prime it a few times until it wont even crank over) I was thinking carbon just because I don't use it much so it never really has a chance to warm up and run.

is it the sea foam tank thats doing this ? also did you run stabil or something through it before you put it away for the year ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
yea...i winterize it every year and the old gas goes into my truck.

I just added the Seafoam to the tank of gas today...I use it in my small engine yard stuff and it seems to work well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 9:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just added the Seafoam to the tank of gas today...I use it in my small engine yard stuff and it seems to work well.

have you inspected the gas line ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

have you inspected the gas line ?

Yup...checked the filter and the lines today...all is fine with that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
well ya got me lol sorry
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
well ya got me lol sorry

Thanks for the help anyway...We'll see what others offer...even though this side of the boards is a little lonely.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
What is your starting procedure? Are you using the throttle only button on the side of the cowling and advancing the throttle before you try to start it? Our 8hp's are similar. We prime the bulb in the fuel line, advance the throttle to 1/4 (using throttle only button to disengage the gearcase and start inhibit). Then pull the choke out and start the engine. Rarely do we use the bulb on the engine itself.
Link Posted: 4/4/2011 11:51:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is your starting procedure? Are you using the throttle only button on the side of the cowling and advancing the throttle before you try to start it? Our 8hp's are similar. We prime the bulb in the fuel line, advance the throttle to 1/4 (using throttle only button to disengage the gearcase and start inhibit). Then pull the choke out and start the engine. Rarely do we use the bulb on the engine itself.

My usual procedure is to prime the fuel line bulb...prime bulb on the engine..2-4x...pull the choke and let her rip.

This used to start the engine fine up until last year.

I may try your method tomorrow.

What's your opinion of Seafoam and the like? decent?
Link Posted: 4/5/2011 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#11]
I generally don't like additives, but I have heard good things about Seafoam. We use Mercury's "Power Tune" to chemically clean carbs without taking them off the engine. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 7:21:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I generally don't like additives, but I have heard good things about Seafoam. We use Mercury's "Power Tune" to chemically clean carbs without taking them off the engine. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

What's your thoughts on ethanol treatment?  Have heard some bad things with some outboards if not run with it.  I have not ran it in my three yet, just curious.
BTW Thanks again for putting this up, you have saved me a shit load of money in the past
Link Posted: 4/8/2011 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your thoughts on ethanol treatment?  Have heard some bad things with some outboards if not run with it.  I have not ran it in my three yet, just curious.
BTW Thanks again for putting this up, you have saved me a shit load of money in the past

Not to hijack the thread OP. Marine engines made since 1998? or so can handle 10% ethanol fine. Older outboards and boat fuel systems won't tolerate alcohol for long. The hoses will dry out and become brittle. I haven't done any research on this alcohol additive, but I can. PM me if you want me to look into it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top