Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2010 2:23:56 PM EDT
Do you use a stabilizer and if so, why?

I remember the guy who taught me at the pro shop saying he had no use for them. You think he'd want to sell me one but he doesn't have any in the shop that I've seen.

I'm always open to doing anything that will increase my accuracy, so tell me about them.

Do you have one? Why or why not? What do you feel it does for you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 3:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet I've got about a dozen stabilizers sitting around.  Each style has it's own purpose.  How effective they are is subjective to the shooter and there bow it's on.  You'll have one group of people say they are absolutely worthless, and another group that won't shoot without one.  You'd best be served by trying a couple out and seeing if you like them.

Some stabilizers work differently than others.  Some are designed to steady you out by putting the weight as far out there as possible, others are designed solely to help with shock from the bow.  There are even more that are a combination of the two.  If you look around online, you'll see that there are more styles available than we could list here.  And they all claim to be the best.  You just need to find what works for you.

I shoot a 36" stab for target, and usually a 12" stab for hunting.  Too much longer for hunting and it seems to be obtrusive, at least for me.

Seriously though, I've had guys tell me I was a sucker for shooting with one.  I guess their opinion would carry more weight if they had come close to outshooting me.  I like them, others don't.  It's whatever you prefer.

Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a 12" for hunting as well. I find anything much shorter may be OK for vibration but really doen't help with balance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I use X-coil.  I notice it absorbs a lot of vibration and makes the bow feel more "dead in hand" but doesn't really affect how well I shoot.  Like said, you really need to get into the 12" plus stabs before you start getting torque control and balance.

Honestly, I think adding a string stop is a bigger improvement.  Not only in sound/vibration reduction, but improved shooting.  (Notice more and more bows come with them from the factory these days.)  I use the Norway String Tamer.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a Fuse 6" stablizer 7oz. Any thoughts on them? I paid $70 out the door so it was a bit pricey.
Fuse Stablizers

ETA: It sits on a short bow, (Mathews DXT) 29.75 ATA. If that matters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top