Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2007 10:05:39 PM EDT
Looking to set up an archery range in my backyard.  I am not a bad shot, but hey Murphy with get us every chance he can.

Anyone have a suggestion on a 6 ft by 6ft type of backstop material that will not allow the arrow to pass through?

I am planning on attatching it to my fence.  I dont plan on using it for every shot, just a backdrop that will not destroy my arrow.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
3D deer target

behind that  - hay bales, staggered two deep and as tall as necessary

behind that - plywood, so you don't kill your neighbor
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 2:30:51 AM EDT
[#2]
compressed layers of carpet
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 4:17:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I am planning on attatching it to my fence.  I dont plan on using it for every shot, just a backdrop that will not destroy my arrow.

This should be used as a safety barrier .. not your primary target

You can use a couple of layers of carpet cut to whatever size you like, the bigger the better, but here's the trick ... you will need to hang them "in front" of your fence atleast 12-16" and try to leave a space between carpet layers of 10-12".  You must leave a space between the carpet and the fence so that the carpet layers will absord the arrow impact and this will not allow the arrow to pass through.  The carpet must be allowed to move freely.  If you mount the carpet to a solid fencing surface, the arrrow will still most likely pass through and hit the fence or beyond.  The thicker the carpet the better.

Just think about if you were to hang a huge piece of carpet over a clothsline and beat it with a broom.  If you draped it over a solid fence and hit it with a broom, there would be no movement, its solid.  If you hung it over a clothsline and hit it with a broom, the carpet would absorb the impact and would flex.  This should stop an arrow.  The trick is not making the carpet "too solid".  This probably wont work for broadheads as they will most likely still pass through.

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Like it has been previously stated, carpet is the BEST thing for this and its usally easy to get ahold of remanates at stores pretty cheap!!  
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:35:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I just use a fullsize haybale.  Then again my main range is at my ranch so it is no big deal to replace an old haybale with a new one every season.  My range in town is only 20 yards so my backstop is a wooden fence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top