Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 7:02:13 AM EDT
Can anyone point me to a good site for educating myself about hunting crossbows?
They've liberalized their use for deer here in Virginia.
Normally I'm a compound shooter,but for the last few deer seasons I've had almost no daylight time to practice prior to the season,so I'm thinking that I might need to get something with a shorter practice curve.
Rather than go to my stand with no practice,and risk botching a shot,I'm thinking that a crossbow might be the way to go,provided that they're faster to set up,easier to maintain proficiency with and less likely to go out of tune than my dual cam compound.
What say ye,arfcom?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
try

www.huntingnet.com
www.archerytalk.com
www.excaliburcrossbow.com

look for crossbow forums on the sites. Ten Point crossbows also has a forum. The Excalibur board will have mostly info on Excalibur crossbows, wich are the ones I own.

good luck.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks PAPPYO

Can anyone comment on the general finickiness of crossbows?

Would I be fussing with a crossbow constantly,or is it closer to a stick bow in terms of reliability and tuning requirements?

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Pappyo listed some good links to research.

Not much you need to do to them to keep them tuned once you get it sighted in. Keep the string waxed after a few shots and also lube the rail that the bolts slide down every few shots. This protects the string from wearing so fast and depending on how much you shoot you may go a few years before needing to change the string. I just ordered a crankaroo for my Excalibur as I hurt my shoulder again the other day cocking it by hand. After the season is over you should remove the string so the bow limbs relaxes but some folks never do that ( I do & its no big deal) but you don't have to but I feel like it will make it last longer and have more strength. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't fool your self that a cross bow does not need practice they need just as much as a compound does!  And 10 good shots with a compound every night are worth 200 arrows flung at a target!  

Ten Points are over priced but shoot very well and are well made.  Hortons are resonable priced and very accurate!  The new ones from Bowtech are cheaply made and WAY OVER PRICED!

Thats about all I know about them! But we sure do sell a butt load of them !
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Don't fool your self that a cross bow does not need practice they need just as much as a compound does!  And 10 good shots with a compound every night are worth 200 arrows flung at a target!  

Ten Points are over priced but shoot very well and are well made.  Hortons are resonable priced and very accurate!  The new ones from Bowtech are cheaply made and WAY OVER PRICED!

Thats about all I know about them! But we sure do sell a butt load of them !

Not saying that you won't tneed to practice but once you have them tuned to the bolt & broadhead you hunt with it should hold its zero as long as everything stays tight. If I miss its because I misjudged the range or just plain messed up. Get all the practice you can without  getting worn out because thats what develops bad habits.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top