Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 9:30:18 AM EDT
So I have looked at a lot of chest holsters for my Ruger Redhawk I'm 45 LC. I'm looking to use this around my land doing chores also as a pack weapon during hiking.

So I have looked at several different rigs one thing I can say is that I don't want leather one it costs to much two I worry about the heat and moisture. I'd like to find one I could have a speed loader or moon clip holder.

So tell me what you thing! No sights or flashlights on it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#1]
gunfighters inc makes a good one. I wore one of their for years.
I started out with the Diamond D out of Wasilla leather chest holster, those are really nice as well.

I just gave it all up and went back to the waist when hunting because of my bino harness.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered an Alien Gear Chest holster for my Beretta M9.  The reason I went with it is because you interchange the kydex shell, so you can use the harness for different handguns by buying a different shell.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Kydex Gunfighterinc

Leather Diamond D Leather
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The one I’ve seen recommended the most on this site.

https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I still use an old M3 Tanker during inclement weather when I want to be able to wear a rain coat over my gun (I usually carry a Model 19 when hunting).  El Paso Saddlery makes a nice one but they're leather.  You can get the military surplus ones inexpensive.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just ordered an Alien Gear Chest holster for my Beretta M9.  The reason I went with it is because you interchange the kydex shell, so you can use the harness for different handguns by buying a different shell.
View Quote

+1 for Alien Gear - I have one and can switch out the kydex shell and carry different pistols using the same harness...
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Thank you. Been looking for something like this, and this is the first one that trips my trigger
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank you. Been looking for something like this, and this is the first one that trips my trigger
View Quote

I don’t own this holster in particular but I own their holster drop attachment and I can attest their quality and craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:06:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1 for Alien Gear - I have one and can switch out the kydex shell and carry different pistols using the same harness...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would go for them but they don't seem to make any holsters for weapons that I own. Ruger Redhawk 45 Lc or even P320 full size 45 acp. They do make some cool looking gear just wish they come out with more models.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I like it just how well is that leather going to stand up to the abuse of hot dry weather and going through mesquite brush all day?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Proteq Custom Gear makes VERY good quality gear. "The Alaskan" is a newer offering of theirs so I don't think there are many reports on it but if their other holsters are an indication they're really good or they wouldn't be for sale.

And lifetime warranty, no questions asked, just like Dillon. They say they had a customer send one back that had been chewed up by the dog and they replaced it.

Doh' forgot the link
https://proteqcustomgear.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-alaskan-chest-rig-open-carry

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have one of these for my GP100, love it. But they are pricey. Worth it though.

Recently found a similar one in nylon, same name, not sure if they are owned by the same company or not. Haven’t tried one yet though.

https://diamonddoutdoors.com/
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I like it just how well is that leather going to stand up to the abuse of hot dry weather and going through mesquite brush all day?
View Quote

Having spent plenty of time horseback in mesquite country, in Texas heat, I can honestly say I wouldn't want anything BUT quality leather. It's hot and needs care, but properly maintained it's something you can will to your kids. Just keep it oiled and it will last for years. That's a good looking chest rig.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Having spent plenty of time horseback in mesquite country, in Texas heat, I can honestly say I wouldn't want anything BUT quality leather. It's hot and needs care, but properly maintained it's something you can will to your kids. Just keep it oiled and it will last for years. That's a good looking chest rig.
View Quote

What oil do you recommend ?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never oil leather that you don't want to become loose and floppy.

Saddle soap is what most use on leather holsters.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obenauf's LP.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:19:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Simply Rugged Chesty Puller. I carry a Smith model 25 .45 Colt in mine and it's extremely comfortable, I use their Sourdough holsters for the model 25 and a model 66. You can swap holsters in the CP rig and carry different guns.

Simply Rugged Chesty Puller

Sourdough pancake
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Gunfighter Kenai. I've had a couple different ones and it has been the best so far. Cold and dry are brutal on leather and requires constant maintenance. The Kenai stays put and works great with a pack and under or over layers
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

this.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Very rarely wear a chest rig.  They just aren't comfortable.  When I do I usually use a Chesty Puller rig from Simply rugged.  The only other one I have is a rig for a very old Bianchi UM84 for 1911's.

Since the UM84 goes back to 1984 I wonder if it's even still made.  And I suppose it's been long replaced by the military.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Kenai and love it. Easy to carry with a backpack.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I wish someone made a holster that clipped on behind my bino harness.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:06:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Another one to check out

7x Leather
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:35:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I spend a lot of time on and off trail with a pack on my back at work and for fun. I can highly recommend the gunfighter's inc. kenai as well as Hill People Gear's snubby kit bag in ripstop material. Both of these options maximize breathability so that I don't end up with an uncomfortable sweaty chaffing spot on my chest. I have a lot of time and miles with a full size gun in the Kenai. I've only had the HPG kit bag a couple months but I'm already more likely to take it with my sig 365 as long as I don't need the full size gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:03:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very rarely wear a chest rig.  They just aren't comfortable.  When I do I usually use a Chesty Puller rig from Simply rugged.  The only other one I have is a rig for a very old Bianchi UM84 for 1911's.

Since the UM84 goes back to 1984 I wonder if it's even still made.  And I suppose it's been long replaced by the military.
View Quote

As much as a Marine loves Chesty Puller!! How much did he have to work?

I'm talking manual labor! My guess is none! Not saying that this set up is not right! Yet how much manual labor did he do with this?

We know the answer that's none!!!! Love the idea but don't love that it's not grunt approved!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

As much as a Marine loves Chesty Puller!! How much did he have to work?

I'm talking manual labor! My guess is none! Not saying that this set up is not right! Yet how much manual labor did he do with this?

We know the answer that's none!!!! Love the idea but don't love that it's not grunt approved!
View Quote

Well that's clear as mud, What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#28]
[missed quote originally]
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:07:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wish someone made a holster that clipped on behind my bino harness.  
View Quote

https://eberlestock.com/products/nosegunner
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#30]
The rig has nothing to do with the individual knows as Chesty Puller.  It is a set of straps that allow you to use several different holsters on one rig.  The name is likely just an advertising gimmick.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#31]
GFI

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The rig has nothing to do with the individual knows as Chesty Puller.  It is a set of straps that allow you to use several different holsters on one rig.  The name is likely just an advertising gimmick.
https://i.imgur.com/BkAUzE4.jpg
View Quote

Good gawd, that looks uncomfortable as well as heavy. You'd need a buddy to help you get in and outta dat thing!
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#33]

Much nicer! That looks light-weight and comfortable for all-day wear in the boonies.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#34]
HPG kit bag.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 12:12:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't have one but, if I did it would be this one.

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I never miss an opportunity  to shill for Hill People Gear. The nylon is much more tolerant to  getting wet than leather (necessary, I sweat like a pig when my chest is covered), dries quickly, holds pretty much any gun plus some other cargo. The strap system is great. It doesn't show off the gun to every passerby.

The cost is that you have to pull the thing open to access the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top