Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2018 5:54:03 PM EDT
I picked up a Trangia 27-1 HA alcohol stove a month or so and can't quit messing with it. I've taken it backpacking and cooked at least two meals at home with it as well.

It's my first time using an alcohol stove, and I like it a lot better than my canister stoves. So much quieter (no jet engine roar) and the whole assembly is so much more stable than balancing a pot on top of a pocket rocket/fuel canister.

Last night I sauteed some onions in butter, then threw some diced ham in with it in the frying pan. Put that to the side, then made ramen noodles in the pot and added the ham and onions back in.

I am loving this thing so much I'm hoping to get a Trangia 25 series as well for Christmas for better meals when car camping with the scouts.

Any other Trangia fans in here?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been using the same little Svea stove since the 70s. Yes it is a lttle loud, but it doesn't bother me at all. Guess I'm used to it. I also have a couple of Coleman stoves for fixed/car camping, and they are both set up to be able to use liquid or propane fuels. And a couple of the little pocket rocket stoves as well. Used alcohol stoves on sailboats a lot in the 70s-80s. Was always concerned about it sometimes being difficult to see if it was lit or not.

Not familiar with the Trangia products. But here is the crux of the matter. If you like the stove, and they work for you, then rock on with them. What do the online reviews say about them? All that really matters is whether or not it serves your need and uses.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve used mine a bunch of times.  My only complaint is that I can sure burn a shitload of fuel. Also, shielding the wind is bigger with alcohol stoves. Most of the time they work fine. Nothing beats a real wood fire, though, but “burn free” zones... sigh.

Like my gas stove (MSR), hate jetboil system (fast, but too specialized, tall, and tippy).
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I will cook hobos or something in a Dutch oven over a campfire, but aside from that I hate sooting up my camping cookware. So it's either propane stoves (when car camping) or pocketrocket type stoves (when going light).

This Trangia has the potential to replace both of those. Doesn't need 1lb or 20 lb propane canisters to lug around and deal with. And way more stable of a cooking platform than pocket rockets, etc. Don't have to worry about packing out empty fuel canisters, or wondering how much fuels left in partially-used canisters.

Some good photos of the Trangia stove systems here: https://somecampingstoves.wordpress.com/2014/12/07/trangia-27-2-ul-stove-kit/
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup. The Trangia is a lot heavier than my other alcohol stoves but it's bulletproof.

Lately, though, I'm group cooking in the backcountry so my Dragonfly is getting more use. Solo hiking it's alcohol all the way.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought one of the new Duossal 2.0 sets to compliment my old HA UL set. They're some of my favorite camping stove sets, and given the number I own, that's a rather impressive statement.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Love my trangia.

My favorite kit is trangia. Small pot stand, Mors pot & windscreen.

My other 2 favorites

Esbit folding tablet stove
Svea 123
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I like alcohol stoves but they're iffy when it gets much below freezing.  There is a pre-heater for the trangia which I'm led to believe is pretty rare...basically a pan which fits under the stove which you ignite to pre-heat the fuel.  Once things get that complicated, I'd rather just use something else.

The trangia itself is pretty bulletproof, but it uses a lot of fuel (and there are lighter options).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top