Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/2/2018 6:40:30 PM EDT
I am a leader in our new local Trail Life troop. We are wanting to purchase tents and outdoor cooking equipment for our troop.

We are needing tents that will allow us to backpack and be light enough for our youngest members to carry or be easier for our older troop members to help the younger.

We are wanting a mix of tents. Some modern and some of the old style military half tents or pup tents. I believe we are looking to purchase 4 at this time.

Our cooking gear is pretty squared away however, we are going to want to pick up some cast iron skillets and dutch ovens. We are looking at walmart for those for as far as I know, Cast Iron is Cast Iron.

My question:

To help us with saving money, who sells tents and equipment at amazing prices that would work for our budget we have for this? I will check back on this thread every no and then so if I don't respond, please do not think I am not watching it. I just may not be able to respond as much as I want. However, all advice is very appreciated!

I also don't know if there is anyone on here that runs an outdoor equipment store or not. If there is, who might that be as I wish to also support them if I can rather than just corporations.

We do have a meeting this week with the leaders and we will be assessing our present equipment and what we may also need so I will have a better direction of how much and of what to get then. Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Need a little more information.

How much is your budget for 4 tents? What capacity do the tents need to be? What time of year do you plan on using said tents and in what location(s) for weather purposes?

As I'm sure you're aware, lighter = mo money when it comes to camping stuff. Cast iron at Wal-Mart is gtg, but gets heavy quick. TI or AL is a better choice if walking in, albeit not as rugged as iron.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Budget, I am thinking 300 for tents and 200 for cooking.

However, I am able to shift some from the cooking to the tents.

I am thinking two to four man and as far as temps and weather, we have done some fall campouts and maybe early winter.

I am wanting to set up for real hard core camping (no real modern equipment), so while their may be other lightweight options, for this, cast Iron is going to last longer.

For our younger troop, we do have some lighter options but they are not ready yet for the heavier type camping (bunch of K5-1st grade ).
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I was warned a long time ago to not trust
what's in the cast iron from China. I only
buy Lodge new. I have bought a few vintage
Wagners.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wagners.
View Quote
Hmmm....I hadn't heard that. I have a few of the Ozark brand. Maybe I need to change?

I love cooking with mine at home. I make a mean deep dish Pizza!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Cast iron gear is not really compatible with backpacking.

Campmor is a pretty good discount place for youth groups.

Philmont Scout Ranch occasionally sells off excess gear.

Tooth of time traders is also a place for gear.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I may then need to plan for backpacking.

I may consider just a small grill grid and an open fire. But for regular camping, we could pull out the Cast Iron.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#7]
lodge cast iron.  Do Not buy chink crap
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I checked our cooking tools. Glad I poked. We have one Lodge Dutch oven.

Guess I am going to purchase new stuff. Since I have very little in that, I can start fresh.

So, where is a good place to get cast iron Lodge at good prices?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you. I will get on that tomorrow and look around!
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#10]
You really want some of them to hump  old school military shelter halves?
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You really want some of them to hump  old school military shelter halves?
View Quote
If possible.

We have some young campers but we have a couple older ones that may like it.

We are talking about getting just a couple and letting those boys that want to really try run with it.

I am hoping they really start to get our other kids fired up about it!

We are going to also try to get an open house to get other boys into the troop. Up till now, we have kept it closed until we could figure out what we are doing.

I think we are ready...think.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If possible.

We have some young campers but we have a couple older ones that may like it.

We are talking about getting just a couple and letting those boys that want to really try run with it.

I am hoping they really start to get our other kids fired up about it!

We are going to also try to get an open house to get other boys into the troop. Up till now, we have kept it closed until we could figure out what we are doing.

I think we are ready...think.
View Quote
I'll have to look through my old stuff, but I have at least one, maybe two, complete shelter half sets. I'll donate them to your cause if you cover shipping
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll have to look through my old stuff, but I have at least one, maybe two, complete shelter half sets. I'll donate them to your cause if you cover shipping
View Quote
PM sent
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, sleeping in military shelter halves is probably the best way to turn anyone off to camping. Each half weighs as much as a moderately-priced modern tent, when it rains the kids WILL get wet, and the first time someone kicks the poles at night and breaks it they’ll be dealing with a collapsed tent and figuring out how to support that end of the tent in the dark. Don’t do it! SteepandCheap.com has a lot of good backpacking tents, and check Sierra Trading Post, too. I’ve had a fair amount of experience with ALPS Mountaineering tents and find them to be very good quality at very reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve gotten half the boys in my sons BSA troop using hammocks.
Generally light and cheap.

About the only ones who don’t are those who don’t like sleeping on their back, already have some nice gear, or are too cheap to invest in there own gear and are getting by with what’s available.

When I was a leader, I got the troop to move away from buying gear to encouraging the boys to get their own.
Boys who have bought their own stuff take care of it. Troop gear gets abused. Even gear bought by mom and dad usually gets trashed.
I’ve seen kids get pretty creative with their gear and take a lot of personal pride in their setups.

Also, boys planning on sleeping in a bivy, hammock, or digging a snow cave tend not to appreciate humping in gear they have no intention of using.

My recommendation would be to get a nice kitchen box set up for truck camping and a few donated items for new kids to use/try before getting their own.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:41:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 1:25:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hmmm....I hadn't heard that. I have a few of the Ozark brand. Maybe I need to change?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wagners.

I don't own any vintage cast iron but do have a fair amount of Lodge. I would only buy Lodge if buying new. I won't touch the Chinese cast iron. Lodge isn't much more than the Chinese cast iron anyway.

I also take mine, grind the inside surface smooth, and then re-season.

I also wouldn't be backpacking with cast iron.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:46:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Forgive the interruption, CR, How do polish the surface?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not a problem. Actually you beat me to the question as that was going to be what I was going to ask.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you all for the help thus far!

I am humbled by the willingness to help us reach out to the boys. Here is what I am setting up now, in light of the information here.

Our Cast Iron is going to be for base camp. Not really hiking. I will figure something else out on that (Maybe teach how to cook on an open flame). I will still pick up cast iron from somewhere. I am familiar with Lodge but I will check the other names out. I mean no offense if I do not go with what may be suggested besides Lodge. I just need to go to the best price I can.

As far as the tents, I really appreciate the thoughts as well. I took this information and spoke with our equipment "manager" and he and I agreed that we will not FORCE any of the boys into those tents. However, we may still want them so if one of the boys WANTS to try them they are available. We will have backup tents available. I know the troop does have about three tents that are the troop's property but I love the idea for the boys to get their own.

One of the things we are going to be doing is fundraising. I figured we will tie a percentage down to how much the boys sell. If a Trailman sells $100, we give them $10 in equipment credit. Then that can be used to buy their own gear. So they are working for it as much as also helping the troop.

I really appreciate all of the advice. Thank you again so much and if there is anything else you all suggest, I am all ears!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:38:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not a problem. Actually you beat me to the question as that was going to be what I was going to ask.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are some videos on YouTube.

I use a flap disk on a grinder and a paint stripping disk. It makes a bit of a mess so do it outside.

Just use a course flap disk to knock off the majority of the roughness and then a finer disk to smooth out the surface. I use the paint stripper disk to smooth out the sides. I don't polish the outside since it's not needed.

I then clean really well and then wipe down with vegetable oil. Usually use canola oil. Then, turn upside down and place on my propane grill. Run the temp up to 500 and allow to cool. Once cool, recoat with oil and repeat. I re-season occasionally.

To clean, heat up water while also heating the pan. Then, when the pan is hot enough to sizzle water, pour hot water into the pan. It'll steam the food particles right off. Repeat if really dirty. Then, wipe down with oil and it's ready for the next use.

Wagner and Griswold are the old cast iron that is the standard to meet. However, they aren't made any more and are very expensive usually if the seller knows what he/she has. There is nothing wrong with Lodge aside from a bit of a rough surface texture (easily fixed). The Ozark Trail stuff is probably ok too but I just don't trust Chinese cast iron. Lodge is US made.

We have cast iron pans in the house and in our camper. Once you learn how to use cast iron, you'll use it for most cooking duties.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#22]
If they are to pack the tents -.
1- dont excede 6lbs fully packed. That 3 lbs per kid to split. Or 2 lbs if its a 3 man tent.
2- check out coleman exponet,slumber jack,kelty for entry level " good stuff".
Either way seam treat and spray before use.
3- sleep pads and good sleeping systems. Are key!
4- cook sets - go light ,especially if packing in.
Simple 8 inch grease pan from chinamart is under 10$ , stainless cups are cheap, and get each kid a good spork or old long handled spoon and dremel the fork end.

Screw shelter halfs.
Buy each kid a 50 ft length of rope/550 etc and a 10x12 poly tarp if they wish to be hardcore.
In fact...make it a challenge/game/contest.

Have them pick from this, its been around for ever..
Tarp set designs
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If they are to pack the tents -.
1- dont excede 6lbs fully packed. That 3 lbs per kid to split. Or 2 lbs if its a 3 man tent.
2- check out coleman exponet,slumber jack,kelty for entry level " good stuff".
Either way seam treat and spray before use.
3- sleep pads and good sleeping systems. Are key!
4- cook sets - go light ,especially if packing in.
Simple 8 inch grease pan from chinamart is under 10$ , stainless cups are cheap, and get each kid a good spork or old long handled spoon and dremel the fork end.

Screw shelter halfs.
Buy each kid a 50 ft length of rope/550 etc and a 10x12 poly tarp if they wish to be hardcore.
In fact...make it a challenge/game/contest.

Have them pick from this, its been around for ever..
Tarp set designs
View Quote
Thank you.

There is some good info here and I will also read through the designs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#24]
@Jarem08
I have a 2 man Eureka tent that has never been set up. Been stored in my closet since I got it. PM an address and I'll send it to you.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Cruise your local thrift shops. There are all kinds of cast iron pieces that people dump. Even if they are the ceramic coated ones, those would work fine.

You can also find a lot of suitable pots/pants which would be far lighter than actual cast iron.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
@Jarem08
I have a 2 man Eureka tent that has never been set up. Been stored in my closet since I got it. PM an address and I'll send it to you.
View Quote
Thank you so much!
PM on the way!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cruise your local thrift shops. There are all kinds of cast iron pieces that people dump. Even if they are the ceramic coated ones, those would work fine.

You can also find a lot of suitable pots/pants which would be far lighter than actual cast iron.
View Quote
This is a very great idea. I never did think of that.

I am going out today, I will swing by a few in my area to check out what they have.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I just wish to express my gratitude for everyone here that has helped.

This is absolutely amazing to see you all come together to help a group of boys that you all have never met.

This truly is a humbling event and I can not express how grateful and thankful I am for everyonses generosity with advice and donations.

THANK YOU!
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Eureka Camping Center

They have good deals on returns, repaired tents etc.  My troop used to go to an auction they held annually to stock up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#30]
You know there's a really great organization that provides and often requires outdoor training for its leaders... it's called the Boy Scouts of America.

All politics aside, I've found the Alps Mountaineering Taurus tents to be reliable for a low price. My troop used those a lot growing up. I'm a big fan of running many of my gear purchases by the reviews on Outdoor Gear Lab or Trailspace before I buy.

I would recommend purchasing a troop trailer if you can afford it/have a charter location to store it. You can run your car camping equipment (dutch ovens) and backpacking equipment (lightweight stoves) out of it at the same time and do both!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You know there's a really great organization that provides and often requires outdoor training for its leaders... it's called the deleted Scouts of America.

All politics aside, I've found the Alps Mountaineering Taurus tents to be reliable for a low price. My troop used those a lot growing up. I'm a big fan of running many of my gear purchases by the reviews on Outdoor Gear Lab or Trailspace before I buy.

I would recommend purchasing a troop trailer if you can afford it/have a charter location to store it. You can run your car camping equipment (dutch ovens) and backpacking equipment (lightweight stoves) out of it at the same time and do both!
View Quote
Fixed in red.

Trail Life was started as an alternative to the SJW stance that the Scouts endorsed. I doubt the OP is interested in the Scouts input.

I need to check to see if there is a Trail Life organization near me. I don't have kids that would be in it but I have a lot of training and experience that I could use to benefit a local group and I would probably enjoy helping. I need to look into that. It's so sad what the Boy Scouts has become.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You know there's a really great organization that provides and often requires outdoor training for its leaders... it's called the Boy Scouts of America.

View Quote
I know. Thanks.

I work with our Trail Life troop and love having it as just boys. It allows boys to have Godly, MALE role models.

In our troop, I am the only one with no outdoor program experience. The others have over 30 years of experience.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Fixed in red.

Trail Life was started as an alternative to the SJW stance that the Scouts endorsed. I doubt the OP is interested in the Scouts input.

I need to check to see if there is a Trail Life organization near me. I don't have kids that would be in it but I have a lot of training and experience that I could use to benefit a local group and I would probably enjoy helping. I need to look into that. It's so sad what the Boy Scouts has become.
View Quote
I appreciate what the BSA started as but they indeed have sunk and have turned many away. It is because of that, I helped start our troop. My son loves the Trail Life and being just around boys and also learning what true manhood looks like is awesome!

In the last three months, TLUSA has Seen  MAJOR increase in traffic to their site because of the GSA seeing the BSA. I know there are many troops that have less experience than we do and could be very happy to have your experience.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Eureka Camping Center

They have good deals on returns, repaired tents etc.  My troop used to go to an auction they held annually to stock up.
View Quote
@MPi-KMS-72

signed up and those are amazing deals! Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:45:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Almost every tent I've ever bought has been one of those Eurekas from the outlet.  A lot of them are just tents someone bought, used and then returned for some BS reason so they basically got a free tent for a weekend or trip.  At least that was what most used to be.   A couple years ago I bought my kids the $25 one person Solitaire model and I couldn't see any use or any reason why they'd be a factory second.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Almost every tent I've ever bought has been one of those Eurekas from the outlet.  A lot of them are just tents someone bought, used and then returned for some BS reason so they basically got a free tent for a weekend or trip.  At least that was what most used to be.   A couple years ago I bought my kids the $25 one person Solitaire model and I couldn't see any use or any reason why they'd be a factory second.
View Quote
That is good to know. There were a few on there I wouldn't mind trying. I personally use a Eureka and it works good. Going to try a different kind next trip out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Do you have a Cabellas near you?  They donated over $1000 worth of gear to our troop last year.  They have a program where you fill out a request and tell them why you want the gear and they will donate tents, bags, coolers,stoves etc.  One of our leaders found out about it and applied.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Do you have a Cabellas near you?  They donated over $1000 worth of gear to our troop last year.  They have a program where you fill out a request and tell them why you want the gear and they will donate tents, bags, coolers,stoves etc.  One of our leaders found out about it and applied.
View Quote
@KD5TXX

I don't think I do, but I am not sure. I will also reach out to them.

I know, with the generosity in this thread, we have, very quickly and most appreciably, have almost fully equipped up.

This really is a great community.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Few questions.

1. How many nights are you looking to hike for?

2. Are you looking to hike and sleep at a new spot each night or have one base camp that you sleep at every night?

If I'm doing any hiking no cast iron will be on me! If I'm looking for lightweight for sleeping I would just go with WP bivy sacks and let them sleep under the stars.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Few questions.

1. How many nights are you looking to hike for?

2. Are you looking to hike and sleep at a new spot each night or have one base camp that you sleep at every night?

If I'm doing any hiking no cast iron will be on me! If I'm looking for lightweight for sleeping I would just go with WP bivy sacks and let them sleep under the stars.
View Quote
We are looking at taking the older boys for a two day hike in, a four day there and a two day out...after we build up to it, of course .

Thanks. We have decided the heavy stuff is staying at home on this trip. However, for most of our camps, it is perfect for when we are out and have an easy base camp.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I left regular Boy Scouts for a military science Explorer Post chartered to a Special Forces battalion, we used ponchos instead of tents or shelter halves, they were lighter, multi-use, and allowed us to blend in better.  They did nothing for keeping bugs out.  Typically a poncho underneath and another one strung above us.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I'm retreading some things.

My son has been in two different BSA troops. The first one, the boys had to provide their own tents. In his current Troop, we spent a bunch of money on tents for the boys. Guess which ones are trashed after a few years? Poles get broken, parts left behind, not dried properly, torn, etc. I think we have 2 serviceable tents out of the 6 or 8 we purchased ~3 years ago. If you have a quartermaster/supply person that is on their game, you might be able to stay ahead of this one, but it will take significant effort to make sure the tents stay complete and serviceable.

I don't know about Trail Life, but in BSA, we have new rules that boys cannot tent together if they are more than two years apart in age unless they are related. Another reason not to buy Troop tents. Apparently youth on youth abuse is more prevalent than I thought. Stay vigilent.

I like the idea of hammocks if most of the places you camp support that. We do a lot of car camping in my kids' troops, so I usually bring a tent and a hammock. When we have a big crowd, it is sometimes difficult to find a good hammock spot, and not be mixed in with the kids. Also, poison ivy.

My daughter is in AHG, which is, or should be the sister org for Trail Life.

Good on you for stepping up and being there for the boys!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I left regular Boy Scouts for a military science Explorer Post chartered to a Special Forces battalion, we used ponchos instead of tents or shelter halves, they were lighter, multi-use, and allowed us to blend in better.  They did nothing for keeping bugs out.  Typically a poncho underneath and another one strung above us.
View Quote
I did look at some great tarp layouts from a poster above but this works as well. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I'm retreading some things.

My son has been in two different BSA troops. The first one, the boys had to provide their own tents. In his current Troop, we spent a bunch of money on tents for the boys. Guess which ones are trashed after a few years? Poles get broken, parts left behind, not dried properly, torn, etc. I think we have 2 serviceable tents out of the 6 or 8 we purchased ~3 years ago. If you have a quartermaster/supply person that is on their game, you might be able to stay ahead of this one, but it will take significant effort to make sure the tents stay complete and serviceable.

I don't know about Trail Life, but in BSA, we have new rules that boys cannot tent together if they are more than two years apart in age unless they are related. Another reason not to buy Troop tents. Apparently youth on youth abuse is more prevalent than I thought. Stay vigilent.

I like the idea of hammocks if most of the places you camp support that. We do a lot of car camping in my kids' troops, so I usually bring a tent and a hammock. When we have a big crowd, it is sometimes difficult to find a good hammock spot, and not be mixed in with the kids. Also, poison ivy.

My daughter is in AHG, which is, or should be the sister org for Trail Life.

Good on you for stepping up and being there for the boys!
View Quote
We do have both. If the boys want their own, we encourage them to get it. However we have some that are there for those who cant afford it. This has been a blessing to several families. However, your comments make me consider putting a usage clause such as "you break you buy". My run that by our CC and COR.

I am responsable for the gear (it is stored in my house) so I do keep track of this. But I am always working with the boys to make sure they know and follow good rules for the tents.

For TL they only allow three boys in the same unit. No adults unless related and prefer brothers so they are about the same in that regard. We have been blessed as most of the boys have either their father as a leader or are willing to come as well. This is awesome as it starts to build the father/son unit that is lacking.

Thankfully we have not had any poison ivy episodes.

However, we do have a wisdom for the wild moments. One of mine was, leaves of three does not make good toilet paper. It is a rash decision to ignore this!

We do have an AHG troop that meets in the same building, night, time. This allowed  us to reach out to parents and instead of them trying to balance two nights for two groups, it is far more conveinent. They are now formally brother sister organizations. We are very happy to have that other facet as tool for reaching out.

I also had an idea that if it picks up well, could go national. I will wait to see how our pilot program works.

I do love both troops. The trail life incorporates faith into our practice as we learn and grow. AHG then (at least our unit does) adds what we hear is the major complaint from GSA...not enough camping activities. Still adds faith and it allows boys and girls to be who they were created to be. Boys and girls.

Thanks. It does take a lot with meetings, activities, planning but i am very grateful that i have a very strong, talented and dedicated team that we work excellent as a unit. I couldn't do it without them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#45]
My scout troop use a combination of Coleman 2 and 3 man tents. Most of the older scout and leader use hammocks. As for backpacking we use Jetboils and the scouts carry their own mugs and bowls. If base camping, we have crew box with various cookware. Stick with "lodge" for cast iron and find what ever is cheapest for large pot and pans. Large pots are used for boiling water for cleanup, coffee, and cocoa. Also look into getting a propane stove or two. Cooking over fire is fine but when you need to do "Leave no trace" or fire bans, propane needed or easier.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My scout troop use a combination of Coleman 2 and 3 man tents. Most of the older scout and leader use hammocks. As for backpacking we use Jetboils and the scouts carry their own mugs and bowls. If base camping, we have crew box with various cookware. Stick with "lodge" for cast iron and find what ever is cheapest for large pot and pans. Large pots are used for boiling water for cleanup, coffee, and cocoa. Also look into getting a propane stove or two. Cooking over fire is fine but when you need to do "Leave no trace" or fire bans, propane needed or easier.
View Quote
I will have to see what we have as far as backpacks. As troop ewuipment we dont have anything. The boys will have to supply.

Your base camp is how we function. We did order a complete lodge setup so we are set there. Our committee chair is kind of the camp tec guru. He has brought so much stuff over from his old BSA troop. He bought it and when they disbanded since it was his he kept it. It is always fun digging in the back of his suv .
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Back in my younger days we camped with canvas Baker tents or built lean to's out of cedar trees.  Used to have a aluminum dutch oven I would carry back packing at Philmont.  Heat ratio is different than cast but lighter.  Don't remember the backpacking tent we used then or at the Boundry Water Canoe base.  Times change.  As a kid my backpack weighed 45 lbs at Philmont and I thought that was heavy till I became a pack mule for the Army, LOL.

Only suggestion I have is wantever you do get for the kids, have them learn proper maintenance to prolong the service of the equipment.  As stated sad state of affairs with the BSA.  Had long liftetime of good memories with them with several troops across numerous states and countries (Germany/Italy) as a scout and scoutmaster.

CD
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Back in my younger days we camped with canvas Baker tents or built lean to's out of cedar trees.  Used to have a aluminum dutch oven I would carry back packing at Philmont.  Heat ratio is different than cast but lighter.  Don't remember the backpacking tent we used then or at the Boundry Water Canoe base.  Times change.  As a kid my backpack weighed 45 lbs at Philmont and I thought that was heavy till I became a pack mule for the Army, LOL.

Only suggestion I have is wantever you do get for the kids, have them learn proper maintenance to prolong the service of the equipment.  As stated sad state of affairs with the BSA.  Had long liftetime of good memories with them with several troops across numerous states and countries (Germany/Italy) as a scout and scoutmaster.

CD
View Quote
Thank you. We are working on teaching each of these things with the equipment.

I do agree. I am broken because of the BSA direction. As much as I am in support of TL, I am saddened by the direction of the BSA.

It is just one more inclination of our decline.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:14:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Eureka factory outlet.

Backpacking tents
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I agree with some of the other posters: ALPS Mounaineering tents seem to be good and are affordable. I bought one for my son who is now a Mt Lion. So far so good.

Walk worthy!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top