Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2018 11:04:37 AM EDT
First up, headlamp:

Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II

I chose the Aviation model (green LED instead of red)

Spec Sheet (shows runtimes):  https://www.streamlight.com/docs/default-source/fact-sheet/239.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Notable battery feature: With a spring-loaded battery compartment the unit can accept a single CR123 or single AA (lithium or alkaline).  Run time between the two lithiums is spec'd identical but with (slightly) higher lumen output for the CR123

============================

Handheld

Streamlight Sidewinder Personal Distress Marker

I chose the Aviation model (green LED instead of red)

Spec Sheet (shows runtimes): https://www.streamlight.com/docs/default-source/info-sheet-with-part-numbers/sidewinder-rescue_sup.pdf

There are two flashing functions: a double tap (any color setting) will set a quick-flash.  If you follow that double-tap with a 1-second hold on the power button the full-power strobe function will activate.  The flashes slow to one per second but are brighter, just like your usual strobe.

Instead of merely sliding across the lens the strobe reflector can lock into any of three positions:

Over the main white light

Over the 3 other LEDs

Off (so to speak)

I bought two each off eBay (all new
)
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks huge for a headlight, unless maybe you have a fivehead.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sidewinders are awesome, but I like the red light version.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sidewinders are awesome, but I like the red light version.
View Quote
I have two of those as well (handheld, non-rescue)
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
That Sidewinder Compact will also take a AAA battery.  I have one with me here in Afghanistan and it's a versatile headlamp.  Both are a little bulky, but well built with great features; they aren't your typical high-beam torches, but they are very practical for 99% of you lighting needs.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That Sidewinder Compact will also take a AAA battery.  I have one with me here in Afghanistan and it's a versatile headlamp.  Both are a little bulky, but well built with great features; they aren't your typical high-beam torches, but they are very practical for 99% of you lighting needs.

ROCK6
View Quote
I'm guessing OK for helmet mount, but bulky if you're going to use it with the strap for normal night hiking back here in the States?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm guessing OK for helmet mount, but bulky if you're going to use it with the strap for normal night hiking back here in the States?
View Quote
Yeah, it's a little bulkier for similar sized (single cell) headlamps, but it's not that heavy which is a plus.  I think of it as more of a "tactical" headlamp where you don't need a ton of output and the red, green/blue, or IR LEDs offer versatility that others don't.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#7]
It definitely sticks out further than my Fenix HL23 headlamp yet the balance still works out ok.  Even with the headband barely tight it doesn't bounce much on the forehead.  (that may change as the headband material flexes more)

The green and flash versatility certainly make up for it.

The blue and the IR functions are bonuses
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Agree, I have the red one instead of the green.
Very versatile and meets more than 99% of my needs.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh... I prefer my 300 lumen Petzl USB rechargeable headlamp for night hiking and climbing, and my pair of USB rechareable Bontrager Ion 700 and 800 handhelds for mountain biking and even tactical home use. Screw batteries (especially CR123s). My Surefire, Sreamlight and Fenix flashlights haven't been turned on in two years. Got one Executive Elite still in the packaging.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top