Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2018 8:13:26 PM EDT
I happen to have access to some makeshift stuff that passes for decent flamethrower, not the nerfed crap that iodiot Musk sells.  Since ALL land animals have an instinctive fear of fire, I'm curious if a small and handy flamethrower would be a better bet than a 12 gauge for bear encounters?  What do you more experienced outdoorsmen think?
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:17:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It would certainly get this bears attention!
Attachment Attached File

Seriously. I can't see any animal continue to charge when a burst of fire is placed in front of them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Flame throwers typically kill by carbon monoxide poisoning.  They were usually used against bunkers and pill box type fortifications.

Bears usually attack in the open.

I am going to go with the 12 gauge this time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the effective range of your flame thrower? You see if you hit it at say 15 feet and it's boring down on you at say 35 MPH, the flaming ball of pissed off bear just might catch you on fire as it bowls you over.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
FT...
Too slow to get into action.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]
We always used 12 ga shell crackers, animals are just as scared of loud sudden noises as they are of pyrotechnics and you don't run the risk of lighting the ground on fire.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
haha, it only has a range of about 10ft, but the breadth and volume of it is rather impressive.  I think I'll stay with the 12.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
You're in California. They'd probably lock you up for even saying "flamethrower".
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Unlike firearms, a flamethrower actually does have stopping power. Not sure I'd like the limited range against a bear tho.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Unlike firearms, a flamethrower actually does have stopping power. Not sure I'd like the limited range against a bear tho.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Pretty sure a flaming bear would still come at you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:42:29 AM EDT
[#11]
If you light a bear on fire, does it shit in the woods?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:44:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Getting mauled by an on-fire bear sounds awful.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:51:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Survive a mauling, get charged w/ starting a forest fire and illegally cooking a bear.

It would be awesome bear medicine, though.  Might not work well w/ rhinos.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I suppose you could flamethrower your hiking partner(s), drop your gear, and run like mad.  Bears find chaos very distracting, flaming chaos more so.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I suppose you could flamethrower your hiking partner(s), drop your gear, and run like mad.  Bears find chaos very distracting, flaming chaos more so.
View Quote
But if bears don't like fire, and you're the food that's not on fire, won't that make it more likely you'll get eaten?
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But if bears don't like fire, and you're the food that's not on fire, won't that make it more likely you'll get eaten?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, not at all.  No bear is going to run away from that snappy bacon aroma to come after something raw and unappealing.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:08:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pretty sure a flaming bear would still come at you.
View Quote
If it was a matter of will they might. Eye witness accounts of flame throwers being used on suicidal "bonzai charge" attackers suggest that force of will isn't relevant. No screaming, no dragging themselves forward to their last breath...DRT. in interviews with Woody (marine grunt that got a MoH on Iwo) he said they didn't even make a sound...just dropped. He'd prolly know. Not sure if the natural response to being set on fire is to suck in air (filled with burning fuel) or what, but I'm guessing that if a bear was rushing you and you blasted him in the face with a flamethrower he'd probably respond similarly. Mammals don't respond well to lungs filled with fire I guess. A bear would have more forward momentum I suppose, but that's not really an attack anymore, more like "dying in your general direction".
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:18:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree, ... which is why I wouldn't waste time trying to light one up.

Dude, unless you're John Wick, forget the 12ga ...

For serious 'bear defense' in the La-La Land of CA,  I'd use my M1 Garand, loaded and zero-ed @ 100-yds with 220gn 30-06 Speer Hot-Cores at 2450fps. (Yeah, it runs a Schuster adj. M1 gas plug specifically tuned to that load).

The M1 Garand is still CA-legal, ... and if a clip of 8x 220gn '06 rounds can put down a big Alaska bruin, they'll surely put down any of the retired 'Show Bears' that might escape the L.A. Zoo.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#19]
If You decide to go with the flamethrower, PLEASE remember to put it on youtube. I could use a really good laugh.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I set my field on fire with one a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, like being chased by a bear engulfed in fire is better than just being chased by a bear.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#23]
12 ga. is what you need.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Get both.  
Dragons breath FTW
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree. That would hurt very much.

And being in California, the OP would still go to jail even if he survived the attack.

Probably a semi-life term of incarceration up in that San Luis Obispo place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top