Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2018 3:54:06 PM EDT
So walking thru the grocery store yesterday, saw a 3 oz package of beef jerky for $9.
That's $48 per pound in case you were wondering.

I can eat a massive steak with 2 rounds of alcohol, potato, full salad bar at a very nice steakhouse and get a 22-24 oz porthouse for that kind of money.

So it is as simple as buying flank steak at the store/butcher shop, cutting into strips, marinating it overnight in the frige, and then putting it in the oven at 150-200 degress for a few hours?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
thats dehydrated beef

you need to smoke jerky

it takes time

and it is much less weight per volume
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes

I use a dehydrator though and venison from a deer for free
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It's simple

ETA: get a simple dehydrator
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thats dehydrated beef

you need to smoke jerky

it takes time

View Quote
Can you provide some tips other than the above? Looking to learn.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Made some in oven last night....cheaper and tasty.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thats dehydrated beef

you need to smoke jerky

it takes time

mix up the flavors you want, Worchester sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, hot flakes, soy, liquid smoke, etc etc etc

soak overnight

dehydrate

I'll post my recipe when I get a chance , the fun was getting test runs
however, there are plenty of recipes floating around,  you need to develop to suit you.

and don't go shooting all the deer
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you use ground deer for it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can you use ground deer for it?
View Quote
Yup

Amazon Product
  • Makes flat strips of jerky as well as round snack sticks
  • Heavy duty drive system; Designed to provide years of lasting performance
  • Holds 3/4 pounds of meat

Link Posted: 10/29/2018 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#9]
It is very simple. Just buy a dehydrator and some seasoning packets ftom Wal-Mart, Krogers, Cabelas or wherever else they sell them. You can also make your own, but I've found it's easier to just buy the packets and spice them up if you want something different. You can also add liquid smoke if you want that Smokey flavor. I have a meat slicer, so I prefer to slice the meat really thin instead of grinding it and using the jerky gun. If you want to use the gun you can cut the meat into small chunks, partially freeze it and throw it in a food processor if you don't have a grinder. The leaner the meat the better, so make sure you cut off as much fat as you can.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 8:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
@Falfrenzy

for 3-4# thin sliced lean meat jerky (cut WITH grain)

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (lea & Perrins)
1/4 Soy Sauce (Kikkoman)
3 TBSP Tender quick
3 TBSP accent
2 TBSP ground black pepper (McCormick)
2 TBSP Garlic powder
1 TBSP Marjarom
1 TSP Cayenne powder
1.5 TBSP liquid smoke (Wrights)
2 TSP onion powder

marinate 8 to 48 hours

Dehydrate (not too far)

Great for Deer or Elk, very lean beef only
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@Falfrenzy

for 3-4# thin sliced lean meat jerky (cut WITH grain)

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce (lea & Perrins)
1/4 Soy Sauce (Kikkoman)
3 TBSP Tender quick
3 TBSP accent
2 TBSP ground black pepper (McCormick)
2 TBSP Garlic powder
1 TBSP Marjarom
1 TSP Cayenne powder
1.5 TBSP liquid smoke (Wrights)
2 TSP onion powder

marinate 8 to 48 hours

Dehydrate (not too far)

Great for Deer or Elk, very lean beef only
View Quote
Thank you for both your responses!
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife makes jerky the old way.

Does marinate them a little bit before hanging them on the side of the house for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes

I use a dehydrator though and venison from a deer for free
View Quote
LOL, might want to add up what it really cost you per deer.  Gun(s), accoutrements, ammo, license (and tags if required), clothing, fuel (typically more than running to the grocery), etc.  TANSTAAFL

I can't complain though, I dried a couple of pounds of teriyaki venison on Monday evening.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 9:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Cut meat thin add seasoning marinade in liquid smoke put on food deyadrator. Done. Hi mountain marinades are good. If you have smoker use that instead of liquid smoke. I thought that was obvious.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

LOL, might want to add up what it really cost you per deer.  Gun(s), accoutrements, ammo, license (and tags if required), clothing, fuel (typically more than running to the grocery), etc.  TANSTAAFL

I can't complain though, I dried a couple of pounds of teriyaki venison on Monday evening.  
View Quote
Well.. there is nothing on your list most here wouldn't own anyways.. and in our case, we hunt our own property so.. no license, tags, or gas.. LOL

For a recipe, I have found 1/4 cup of "Dale's" and a couple teaspoons of freshly cracked/ground (course) black pepper, per pound of sliced venison, marinate over night. I then smoke at 150F for an hour, then to the dehydrator for a few hours until it's at the chewy/brittle point we like..

Also, don't forget "snack sticks" are easy too.. :)
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes it’s that easy. If you get a dehydrator, it’s just simply seasoning to your taste and drying too your liking. My wife likes salt, pepper and that’s it. It really is easy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#17]
What temperature and for how long in the dehydrator do you guys recommend for jerky?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#18]
In my Nesco dehydrator, they recommend 160 - 170 degrees for 10 hours or so.

Made a batch ~2 weeks ago, came out great. I have this one:

https://amazon.com/Nesco-FD-75A-Snackmaster-Dehydrator-White/dp/B0090WOCN0/

I used Nesco's seasoning and cure.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I was making my own for a while.

Id buy cheap beef from the store, you want to put it in the freezer a few hours before you cut it. This will get it solid, but not frozen, and make it easier to cut thin.

Slice thin pieces your desired length and thickness.

Marinate in whatever, can't go wrong with sweet baby Ray's!

Line the bottom of your oven with foil for the mess, and move your rack to the top spot. Take wooden skewers and skewer your marinated meat, put it on the top of your top rack so it dangles.

Turn on your over. Around 250 and crack the door. I use the convection oven setting on mine.

4-5 hours and enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 10:50:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Meat needs to bee in the freezer for a month. Close to 0F. Make sure everything is clean. It's not hard to make. Last I made I just soaked in Dr. Pepper and Wild Turkey. I am beginning to like the ground out of a jerky shooter better. But there is more clean up with that but less prep. A batch doesn't last long around here.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok first don't go for the ground beef jerky! Unless you like greasy meat when I say greasy I'm talking about using woman's that time of the month pads to soak it up!

Then you have the grease that's in the meat!!!! I like real jerky. If you're looking to make jerky you need to figure this 3 pounds of raw beef will make 1 pound of jerky!

Depends on where you live as were I'm at now they cut it very very thin almost like what you would get on beef sandwiches and use that to make jerky!

I'm not from Southwest Texas I feel jerky should be 1/4 thick! But people in my area feel that's is a steak! To thick to be jerky. Yet they eat the packaged stuff all the time.

So anyway make jerky like you would a good steak! What you like on your steak add to your jerky! Don't buy a mix unless you have money to burn! If so donate it to me or $hit ill earn it and make your jerky!

Jerky is easy to make be it smoker or your home dehydrator fun off it is making you're jerky taste good to you!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Also remember that like everything else in life jerky will go bad if not eaten in a certain time frame. There's plenty of information on it online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top