Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2018 8:10:34 AM EDT
We live in the suburbs but have a green belt behind us. I have occasionally had copperheads in the back yard but I retired 3 yesterday and 5 total in the last 2 weeks. I think they might be living under my deck. I don’t think I am going to put any guineas in my back yard. Any other thoughts? I did try surfer years ago but I did not notice any improvement.
Long term I need to make sure they do not have a food source but I have been reluctant to try to poison rodents since I have dogs.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#1]
What round for copperhead?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The shovel or suppressed .22 subsonic since I am in the city but I would rather them invade someone else since I don't have the time for 24/7 overwatch on the backyard.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
There are some rodent poison set ups that are dog proof.

Here’s an example: https://www.amazon.com/Protecta-Sidekick-Stations-Separately-BELL-1035cs/dp/B005YJUYTY

My “green” leftist neighbors set up a bird feeder using my fence for support and the completely predictable rat colony moved in shortly thereafter. A combination of poison and peanut butter baited traps took care of it.

I have a dog and the poison wan’t a problem. He did manage to get snapped by a trap when he went for the bait. Heard the trap snap and then the howl. He left the traps alone after that.

JPK
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#4]
King snakes. They’ll take care of the copperheads in no time and the rodents after that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Pet Mongoose? Maybe a Badger?
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#6]
There are import restrictions on mongeeses.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#7]
My sister lives up near Mckinney and they have always had trouble with copperheads.

Their yard is largely wooded and they just have to be careful. Seems to be no getting rid of them.

They had a Jack Russell that was hell on them but he got bit something like 15 times +/- a few over his life time.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
predator snakes...blacks and kings... Not sure where you can buy them
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Bird netting stapled to the base of your deck will catch copperheads and all the other snakes in the area.
Nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 4:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
@JPK, thanks. Rat bait ordered.
@drobs   This kind of netting?
Amazon Product
  • Tough durable polypropylene bird protection; Protects crops; Prevents birds from roosting in unwanted areas
  • Mesh design protects fruits and vegetables from hungry birds
  • Solve your bird issues with BirdBlock mesh netting; Safe for birds

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 6:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
King snakes. They’ll take care of the copperheads in no time and the rodents after that.
View Quote
How do you convince them not to move away?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They’ll stay as long as there’s a good food source, the rodents will supply that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:39:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Cats or rats, take your pick.  And if it's rats, good luck with the snakes, since they're not far behind.

We didn't see a snake on the property in 2017 and 2018 (living area only, not out in the woods or while bushhogging).

If you have snakes, you have rats.  There's only one effective way to get rid of and repel rats.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@JPK, thanks. Rat bait ordered.
@drobs   This kind of netting?www.amazon.com/dp/B00004RA0Ohttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44438/netting-689453.JPG
View Quote
I meant to say deer netting but that the stuff should work.

I had deer netting around our raised bed gardens. Seemed to catch a snake once a month in - I had to cut them out of it. Cruel stuff. Recommend you burn the netting before letting it go to a landfill.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I know well that the things a problem for you in Tx.....but truly, hogs will clean out a snake infestation quickly.....I grew up in the Appalachians and a close family friends father was clearing a brushy and rocky knoll..............he had the copperhead issue and fenced about ten acres and stuck several poland/chinas in there..................not only did they deal with the snakes but really rooted up that thicket as well.

I know, where you are the solutions probably as bad as the problem...............you just might opt for some feline assistance........that worked for me with the rat and rat snake issues I had when I bought this old farm house  I have.   Only problem I have is that the friggin coyotes have cleand out my pussy population!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#16]
We are loaded with copperheads.
A few years ago, when we had a HUGE cicada hatch, the population exploded. (Baby copperheads really like cicadas)

Up until about the time it started cooling off, I was finding them every night on asphalt hunting for toads.

We are also loaded with chipmunks. We have a healthy supply of food for them.

Their diet is way more diverse than simply rats and mice.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Mothballs under the deck and around all points of entry.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I haven’t seen any since my epic battle with them two weeks ago. I hope they have moved on but I know they will be back.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: * * * There's only one effective way to get rid of and repel rats.
View Quote
What effective way is that?

I'm asking, because I killed two rats within about a week that I saw running in and out from under my deck in the backyard. So I have to assume there are more I'm not seeing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Look on FB for snake groups.  Some of them will come out and catch them for you!
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What effective way is that?

I'm asking, because I killed two rats within about a week that I saw running in and out from under my deck in the backyard. So I have to assume there are more I'm not seeing.
View Quote
Cats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top