Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2018 9:21:02 AM EDT
Kicking around the idea of doing a late fall thru hike. Nov/December. North to south. Anyone done it or most of it? Thoughts, experiences?

I’ve done some hiking from the Kaibab to Phoenix so I’m familiar with what to expect.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Kicking around the idea of doing a late fall thru hike. Nov/December. North to south. Anyone done it or most of it? Thoughts, experiences?

I’ve done some hiking from the Kaibab to Phoenix so I’m familiar with what to expect.
View Quote
Idiot deer hunters are a possibility but sounds fun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
DO IT!!!

My only issues in that time frame would be cold.. especially from UT to the mogollon rim.  Negative night temps in winter on the Colorado plateau are common.. if you can get through that part before December you might be ok.  Usually not much snow to worry about yet though... But really could be a non issue with the right gear!

I have not done much of it, just few miles here and there.. but I did build some of the AZ Trail in the Pine, AZ area!

If you need support or food dropped, let me know!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
AZT is on my list, I plan on starting PCT in march
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
If you could bump it up a month and go Oct-Nov you would be better off. Too cold on the CO plateau in Nov with a good chance of snow.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you could bump it up a month and go Oct-Nov you would be better off. Too cold on the CO plateau in Nov with a good chance of snow.
View Quote
I think as long as he is off the plateau before December he wont have to bring extra gear... but you were right!  Nov would be a bit nipply up there and still require extra gear.  Did a little research, I figured it would be colder up north than closer to the rim but I was wrong!

here is the Tusayan(north Colorado plateau) historic weather
Attachment Attached File

Flagstaff (middle-ish)
Attachment Attached File

Happy Jack (Southrn part of the Mogollon Rim on AZ Trail and closer to the rim before you start dropping in altitude)
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Wife and I are still trying to work it out. She may just follow along in the Jeep and support my thru hike. I’m not too worried about cold nights in the high country. Have the gear for it and should have made decent progress south by December. Can’t move my timeline due to work.

We’ve been able to do some good 30 mile weekend trips this summer. It’s nice, but nothing beats a long trail.

Have you guys gotten any rain yet around Flagstaff? We just started getting rains about a week ago in SW UT. Came down a several weeks ago to hike Humphreys again but the San Fran peaks were closed due to fire danger.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AZT is on my list, I plan on starting PCT in march
View Quote
Hope you have a blast. PCT is on my list, but it’s going to be a while.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, been raining pretty good all over since last weekend including flagstaff. all the fire restrictions are being lifted or have been lifted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top