Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2018 9:00:11 PM EDT
How do you store a water filter in your pack while hiking / camping so that the contaminated water does not drip into your pack?

Or is this even an issue?
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean like an MSR?

Just shake it off, roll up the hose and stash it in it's bag.

I keep it in a side pocket, but it's barely damp. Never even thought about it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Ziplock bag
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  Like an MSR filter.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine stays in the mesh pocket on the outside of my pack.

"Contaminated" is a bit of a misnomer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I put the hose that goes into the water in a ziplock still connected, the the whole thing goes into an old water proof stuff sack.  I use a pur hiker pro.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have drank the water directly from ice cold mountain streams without filtering and without issue. That said, I usually filter the water I drink with a MSR Sweetwater filter. I just shake the water out and let it air dry for a few mins. Then put it back in the pack and store it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
After I pull the pick up out of the water I just pump it a few times and shove it back in the bag. The clean water side tubing gets a separate ziploc baggy.
Katadyn hiker pro
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a Sawyer Squeeze.  I roll the bag up and attach it to the filter with a rubber band and carry it in the mesh pocket on the side of my bag.  I don't worry about the unfiltered water getting on anything in that pocket.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After I pull the pick up out of the water I just pump it a few times and shove it back in the bag. The clean water side tubing gets a separate ziploc baggy.
Katadyn hiker pro
View Quote
This and same device.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Not MSR, but I mostly use the Sawyer Mini.  I use a small mesh bag, hung vertically on my pack and stored in the outside side-pocket, and store the filter clean-tube up.  I have a small titanium (300ml) cup and some mini bottles with the Aqua Mira purification solutions along with a Squeeze pouch.  Never had an issue.

I do agree, if you have intake and output hoses that separating them just makes it easier to not get them mixed up.  My water filter is one of the "outside" pack items that I want immediately accessible.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Katadyn hiker pro
View Quote
This..with the hiker,mini,pocket,micro etc.
Pump dry. Toss in zip lock
Take apart..air dry,lube at home.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Sawyer squeeze, inside of a scrunched up 12oz plastic water bottle. (that is wrapped with a Sawyer bag for dirty water) Rubber band holds all that compact/together. That tucks in a little mesh cinch sack. That sack  goes in a side pocket of the pack.

Also carry 2 or 3 flattened Saltwater bottles to keep filtered water in. I don't hike in temps below freezing anymore, but if I did, the Sawyer would sleep under my layers at night like my pump did. Filled clean bottles would be cached in a deep stump hole and covered with duff. I have done that.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Sawyer squeeze inline with bladder
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Katadyn hiker pro
Ditto.  I usually sling the water out of the tubes as best I can then leave the Ziploc partially open or stuff it in the mesh pocket if I have it attached to my pack.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 2:22:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Sawyer..st night inside your sleeping bag, if it freezes its ruined.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#18]
I usually use whatever mesh carry bag comes with said filter.  I don't get all worried about separating components or worry about a tube touching another tube like its toxic waste.  During the winter I usually carry a small filter like the sawyer mini, so it can be carried in a shirt chest pocket, and spend the night in my sleeping bag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top