Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2018 12:34:55 PM EDT
Anyone have thoughts?

I want to hang his and her bags side by side.

I have seen the images online, I am just wondering whether or not anyone had experience.

I am thinking a spreader bar between the two lines going to the anchor points to hold the hammocks apart.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
That would work assuming you both weigh the exact same. Otherwise the heavier of you is going to be the bottom bunk. And there will be no getting up in the middle of the night.

What might work is a sturdy cross member with attachment points attached to a tree with ratchet straps kind of like the T post on a clothes line.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would work assuming you both weigh the exact same. Otherwise the heavier of you is going to be the bottom bunk. And there will be no getting up in the middle of the night.

What might work is a sturdy cross member with attachment points attached to a tree with ratchet straps kind of like the T post on a clothes line.
View Quote
Good point and that was exactly the kind of information I was thinking of.

What about guy lines running from both ends of the spreader bar.

By the way, not a good idea to google spreader bar at work.  Just saying.  Especially images...
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean like this? Google Dutchwaregear.com It's a double chameleon. You only need a spreader bar on the head end. The bug net that zips the two together is optional.

Essentially you buy two Chameleon hammocks and just buy the optional spreader bar. You can lay either head left or right but one drawback with this set-up is both people have to lay the same way.

Link Posted: 4/30/2018 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Wouldn't it be better to get a double bridge hammock at this point rather than staying with 2 gathered end hammocks?
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 7:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You mean like this? Google Dutchwaregear.com It's a double chameleon. You only need a spreader bar on the head end. The bug net that zips the two together is optional.

Essentially you buy two Chameleon hammocks and just buy the optional spreader bar. You can lay either head left or right but one drawback with this set-up is both people have to lay the same way.

https://dutchwaregear.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/20170718_135327_resized.jpg
View Quote
That double chameleon setup is really neat, but my wife weighs less than half what I do.  I'm imagining her going 6ft in the air as I get in - or into the ground as I get out, lol.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:35:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That double chameleon setup is really neat, but my wife weighs less than half what I do.  I'm imagining her going 6ft in the air as I get in - or into the ground as I get out, lol.
View Quote
@SWODaddy

The two hammocks hang individually on their own suspension. You adjust each one to be the same height. The spreader bar just keeps them apart so your not touching each other.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]
For the record, I don’t use hammocks so this may be a terrible idea.

Could you get away with anchoring each hammock to the opposite side of a large diameter tree?    Looking at the spreader bars it looks like they are trying to seperate the anchor points by 18-24” inches.   A lot of trees in my AO are that size of larger.   I am thinking that you could tie a couple of loops in a strap, tie them twenty inches apart and the tighten the strap around the tree so that it is tight.    Then hand your hammocks form the loops on the strap.   Using a loop in the strap ensures that your anchor point doesn’t slide along the strap.

Same idea could be applied to two trees that are close together.    Might want to loop each tree in the strap to ensure that you can keep the strap snug if the tree sways at all in the wind.

Again, this may be a terrible idea.

2Hut8
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I’m here!

Just did a 5 night hang, non tandem.

Like all good hammockers I think there will be lots of practice and trial and error to come up with a fix.

I like the large tree idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top