Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2018 6:57:21 PM EDT
So looking for non GTX boots that are good in rocky area and give more protection from the rocks jabbing at your feet then my desert military boots.

Have a few things that are a must size has to be 9.5 wide like them to be 6 inches of higher no Gor-tex I'm in the desert. Thinks I'd like if they are brown leather that looks like they could be polishable that way I can wear them every day.

Two I have been looking at are Lowa Trekking boots and  
Renegade LL mostly because I heard they make great boots and they offer an awesome pro discount but I'm willing to hear other suggestions!

I have been doing 25+ miles a week hiking for my job and like today went 11 miles went up 2,500 feet in elevation and my feet are killing me from the rocks. So looking for something better I'm looking at the ones from Merrill MOBV just to have another boot to swap out with and I do like the Merrill but with my feet the more I'm spending on items the better they feel.

I did find an awesome inserts for anyone who has PF or arch problems and need support they are $75 a pair but I can walk. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Oboz Bridger Mid Bdry.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid

Very comfortable boots, regular width in my normal size fits my wide feet well. I had the GTX version, these are non-GTX like you want but they do have leather linings. They’ll be warmer, but there’s nothing quite like the feel of a soft leather lining. The Vibram soles really grip well, as you’d expect. Absolutely ditch the stock insoles, of course; I went with SuperFeet Carbons for how thin they were at the heel. They didn’t lift my heel out of the pocket like thicker ones can. I’m seriously considering another pair because my Fugitives’ soles are worn too badly for serious hiking and my taller Lowas really bother my inflamed Achilles‘ tendon right now. I do have a pair of non-GTX low Mountain Trainers and I’ve worn them on some pretty brutal climbs, but I just like boots better despite lightweight hiking shoes and trail runners being what’s trendy among thru-hikers and the Backpacker gang now.

ETA join ActiveJunky and get cash back on purchases. Cash back is paid quarterly, Wilderness Exchange in the above link is currently 5% cash back. I think pretty much all outdoors gear stores except REI & CampSaver are partnered with ActiveJunky.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll probably find a style/features to your liking at RussellMoccassin.com, to be custom-made for precise fit --- expensive, but a worthwhile investment in  essential equipment.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Sierra Trading Post usually has a model or two of Asolo boots in non-gore-tex. I have a pair I bought last year I've been really happy with, they certainly run cooler than my Asolos with gore tex.

Looks like their all leather polish-able ones are gore tex though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a pair of Keen's I really like.  Actually made in the US.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have several pairs of Russell Moccasin boots and they are more comfortable than tennis shoes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got a pair of Keen's I really like.  Actually made in the US.
View Quote
I’ve liked the few pairs of Keens I’ve had, but the midsoles tend to be softer and more flexible than Asolo, Vasque, Lowa, etc. You feel every rock after a while. They’re pretty sticky for usually not having Vibram soles, too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Merrill Chameleon shoes are my go to. Yes you feel rocks...if you are moving through the desert correctly it’s a non issue. Gets me places like this no problem.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:35:34 PM EDT
[#9]
High tops Merrel MQM Flex
Low tops Salomon Eskape
Combat Garmont T8 Bifida

Attachment Attached File

Edit
MQM come in non gortex in the low top model
Eskape “Aero” are the non cortex model
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check out the Oboz Bridger Mid Bdry.
View Quote
That was my recommendation as well. Mine have held up great and won’t break the bank. Head and shoulders above most others in the price range.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
High tops Merrel MQM Flex
Low tops Salomon Eskape
Combat Garmont T8 Bifida

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/3ABB1BA4-F91C-4BA5-8905-CA0037466677-521108.JPG

Edit
MQM come in non gortex in the low top model
Eskape “Aero” are the non cortex model
View Quote
Using the Garmont T8 Bifida and these rocks are tearing them up and you can feel every rock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top