Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2018 8:45:02 PM EDT
Anyone ever hiked here on the seneca creek trail?  Im going there April 27th to 30th.

If anyone has any knowledge please share.  Im camping at the Spruce Knob Campground friday night, and heading down the Seneca CreekTrail Saturday, hiking to the waterfall and camping there overnight then on Sunday hiking back to campground to drink beer and eat steaks.

If anyone has ever gone and knows of a better trail or anything let me know.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also went to Seneca Rocks

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure I've seen pics here from @Waldo
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, thanks Waldo.  That looks really amazing.  I'll take pics and post them.  Hopefully the trees are budding there by then.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I've hiked there from the Spruce Knob parking lot as Waldo described.

The only thing I would add is that trail junctions can be confusing at times.  I had a paper map and GPS and was glad I had both.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#5]
On friday morning me and my buddy left PA and headed southwest to West Virginia.  The drive was fantastic.  Roads in West Virginia are like heaven compared to PA's shithole roads.  We arrived at Spruce Knob Lake Campground at 3 PM, set up a big 10 man tent and gathered firewood from the surrounding woods.  Once we got a fire going we cooked burgers, listened to tunes and drank beer.  The campground manager was a no show, so no buying firewood from the campground.  Friday we just relaxed, played washers and chilled.

Saturday we made our way to the Spruce Knob summit, where we took in some stunning vistas and explored the area a bit.  I climbed those huge boulders on the summit and enjoyed some fig newtons.  Our original plan was to hike the huckleberry trail down to the Seneca falls, where we would camp for the night, but with the temps dropping into the teens and the winds pushing 30 mph, we decided to drive down to Seneca Creek Trail and simply hike the trail as far as we could instead.  We made it around 5 miles before turning around.  The trail runs along side the creek and there are lots of fascinating dams, campsites and small waterfalls dotted along the way.  The creek grows steadily deeper and wider as you go.

Saturday night it began to rain around 6 and then sleet.  The wind picked up as well, so around 9 we called it a day and went to sleep.  The night was long, with the temps steadily dropping and the wind steadily increasing.  Sunday morning couldnt come soon enough and with relentless wind making fire starting impossible, we packed up and headed  for home.

On the way home we decided to stop at Seneca Rocks and hike the trail to the summit.  Once there we took in the views and then found a spot shaded from the wind and made a freeze dried spagetti   dinner.  Mountain House Spagetti is actually quite delicious and filling.  With appetites quenched we hiked down and continued the drive home.

Our original plan was to stay at Spruce Knob till Monday but the cold nights and the lack of purchasable firewood stole our energy from us.  It was still a great adventure and I'd recommend it to anyone.   Just take a saw because if the campground manager doesnt bother to show up, you'll be spending a lot of time scouring the woods and even more time breaking sticks over your knee.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top