Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2018 4:39:10 PM EDT
It was called "Wind River".  The opening scene is someone (makes it look like the main character, played by Jeremy Renner) shooting a coyote.  And I'm pretty sure it's actually real.  And actually, I'm not 100% sure they're just coyotes.  But I don't think they were wolves.  He was protecting some sheep.  But it surprised me that they would actually show a real kill in a movie.  I'm pretty darned sure it was real. Either that or CGI is getting waaaaaaay better.

You guys can be the judge.

His main hunting rifle looks like a Marlin big bore lever.  I'm not sure what caliber but later in the movie they show him reloading for it.  Either .45-70 or .444 Marlin...  Is that even a round any longer?  It was scoped with a scout scope.

Later on he uses it against some bad guys, and although the scenes are graphic and intense, you may get a chuckle out of the way someone getting shot is portrayed.  A few times.....

Anyways....  It's not a movie for the kids.  It's not just about hunting.  It's a murder / crime drama.  But it was a good movie.  Well done I thought.  And has some deeper issues going on that may or may not be welcomed.  About grief and loss.

He also carried a Ruger Blackhawk.   No idea what caliber.

The whole movie reminded me of 2 things.  #1, how much I miss hunting. Which happens to me ever deer season.  I havenn't hunted in over 10 years since getting lyme disease and it kicking my butt hard.   Maybe some day I'll be able to do it again.  That's up to God.

And #2, I've hunted with Lever guns (also with a bolt gun and even an AR once.  Oh, Garand once too).  Older Marlins.  And after thinking about how you manipulate them, the older ones, I don't think it is the safest design.  The movie kind of brought back this thought.  One time He thumbed back the hammer on his Ruger because he thought there was possibly something to shoot.  And I know you can put your hand in there to let down the hammer if you don't need to shoot.  I've done it many times myself on my Marlins.  But it just does not seem ideal in comparison to a bolt gun.   Where you can flip the safety on and off without having to use the trigger.

After thinking about it, I kind of like how this newer 94 I have has the safety.  I guess you could actually thumb the hammer back, engage the safety and just leave it that way until you're are ready to shoot.  Then just disengage the safety.  Or would that be asking for trouble?

If any of you watch the movie, let me know how you like it.

Also, open to hearing your thoughts on the safety issue of different types of guns for hunting.  I'm not sure I'd like to hand a younger person an older lever gun.  Yet a lot of us probably used them when we were younger.  My first hunting gun was a bolt action though.

The same goes for handguns.  I think almost thing a DA/SA pistol with a decocker is the way to go......  
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#1]
one of ARFCOM's favorite movies, even though the knockdown of shooting victims is typical Hollywood. Numerous threads should be found in Archives.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
That movie was way better than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
one of ARFCOM's favorite movies, even though the knockdown of shooting victims is typical Hollywood. Numerous threads should be found in Archives.
View Quote
geeez.  I thought it just came out....
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
came out last year. my favorite scene is his reloading scene........
Link Posted: 4/3/2018 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
From the terminal performance it seemed like that guide gun was chambered in .50 BMG.

Good movie.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From the terminal performance it seemed like that guide gun was chambered in .50 BMG.

Good movie.
View Quote
More like a 20mm Bradley canon.  LOL.

I should've snapped a few pics but strange how God works.  After posting this, last night during a Bible study I was holding at my house, across the street in the view of our living picture window there were 2 deer walking.  Every once in a while I see some.  But it was kind of neat for all of us to see them like that and while my mind has been turned to hunting......  Nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top