Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2018 9:35:48 AM EDT
Does anybody knows the origins of the mandra tan patern? I suppose it's a civilian patern not adopted by any military unit worldwide?
Seems pretty effective in desert/dry areas.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Most wont have any idea what your talking about. We call that pattern Kreptyk

HIstory ............

https://kryptek.com/kryptek-history/

For the visual types..................

Attachment Attached File

Slick camo, id say that would work in most areas other then artic white conditions.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok thank you. i saw it on several European outdoor sites under the mandra tan name but couldn't find no more info.
Much more info for Kryptek.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#3]
It did go through the trials for US.mil. I think it is an excellent pattern.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I like it. There is a couple companies doing 10/22 and RAR stocks in that pattern (hydro dip im sure). ALways liked it....
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Desert kryptec is awesome, so is desert A-TACS.

I have a standard kryptec hat.  My buddy who makes and sells gear said it was hot for a second in some of his customer demographics.

Here is my hat.

Link Posted: 3/16/2018 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont know the origins, But I have a few pieces of theirs and a few pieces of gear. Mostly Highlander and Inferno, I use it in Georgia to hunt. Its one of the best patterns I have found for my area. They seem to mostly use "shiny" fabrics, which I am not a fan of, but as long as you arent in direct sunlight its very effective.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 3:57:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Before they were in anything other than cabelas I contacted them asking where I could find some pieces to check out.  I was working a job in Fairbanks at the time.  They gave me CEO Butch Whitings cell # and he had me come out to his house to check some out...since it was going to be aftrer 5pm I had to be bringing beer.  Spent 3 hours talking to the man about how they came up with the pattern, his service, plans for the future and a lot about huinting etc.  Met his wife and one of his daughters.  Good people.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#8]
On a side note. Has anyone with NVG ever checked out that fabric / camo thru them at nite ?

I remember checking out some NON-USGI camo and everything light up on it like a christmas tree under NV. Even the boonie hats, the bands around there was glowing..lol...
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a side note. Has anyone with NVG ever checked out that fabric / camo thru them at nite ?

I remember checking out some NON-USGI camo and everything light up on it like a christmas tree under NV. Even the boonie hats, the bands around there was glowing..lol...
View Quote
Butch actually mentioned that the material is what shows up with NVG the stuff that you buy commercially can be expected to light up.  The material that is .mil won't.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Desert kryptec is awesome, so is desert A-TACS.
[/url]
View Quote
I disagree. In my experience, Kryptek tends to act like ATACS (which I think at least looks cool) and blend into one solid color at distance, reducing its effectiveness. Multicam original and Arid do a much better job of blending into the surroundings, at least for the arid and semi-arid areas of our state. For the lower, arid, areas here, Desert Flecktarn (Wüstetarn) works well, too.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a lot of Kryptek being discounted today on Camofire. (Saturday, 3/17)  I have no affiliation--just an occasional customer.

https://www.camofire.com/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top