Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2018 9:13:12 PM EDT
Anyone done this?

Curious about the pro/cons.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have land in our living trust.  Simple process.  I had our attorney handle the title transfer when I set up the trust.  Do you have a specific question?

ETA:  No cons that I am aware of.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have land in our living trust.  Simple process.  I had our attorney handle the title transfer when I set up the trust.  Do you have a specific question?

ETA:  No cons that I am aware of.
View Quote
+1 same - best way to protect assets
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My estate planning attorney did it. They didn't mention any cons. There's probably a little more paperwork if you
sell it, but I can't imagine it's more than producing the trust document and saying yep it's mine.

Pros are transfer upon death or disability is super smooth. My parents had done a decent job planning
and we never touched the court or probate. They save the rest of the family a lot of grief and hassle
setting things up the way they did.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I know this will vary, but what was the cost of setting it up through an attorney?
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know this will vary, but what was the cost of setting it up through an attorney?
View Quote
Setting up the trust or transferring property?  My trust was established along with my estate planning. If you are just doing a trust it could be as simple as a few hundred dollars.

Changing the title is probably 1-2 hundred in various fees.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Setting up the trust or transferring property?  My trust was established along with my estate planning. If you are just doing a trust it could be as simple as a few hundred dollars.

Changing the title is probably 1-2 hundred in various fees.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Transferring the land into the Trust is very simple.

1) set up trust
2) file a Quit Claim or Grant Deed (most used) - here in NV this can be as low as $15 to more likely $50 depending on county.

I did my own / no need for a lawyer if you feel confident about copying a few examples

Here is a sample of the actual text. Not mine - just a recent public record as a Sample
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top