Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2018 12:36:49 AM EDT
Looking to pick up a jet boil.

Is the basic model gtg, or any of the upcharged options worth paying extra?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
had one for about 10? years or whenever they first came out, still going strong.

get it

ps a full size lighter fits in between the heat sink and lower cup, don't depend on the sparker
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive got the sumo. They're awesome, good advice about the lighter from the other poster.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:04:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the minimo. I also have a snow peak litemax stove w 700ml Ti pot, and the boil time on the minimo is probably twice as fast. Which means it's  super fuel efficient and great for longer  trips without resupply. Also great when I'm carry kitchen gear  for a large group. Downside is it weighs 3 times as much.

The minimo also has simmer control for when I want to cool rice or soup on the trail instead of just boiling water. That's what sets it apart from the base model.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends what you want to do with it. The little $5 foldable burners work well enough for casual use with the same fuel cans... Just depends what you want to accomplish.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 5:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out the MSR version. I think it’s a better kit and MSR is built like tanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:21:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah Minimo or MSR Windburner allow you to cook actual food instead of just boil water, I went with the MSR.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My old model Jetboil is still going strong; I've replaced the piezo ignitor once.  They are great for boiling water but they don't simmer well.  Mine lives in the back of my truck most of the time along with a spare fuel canister.  If I'm going truck camping I still carry my old Coleman though since it's so much easier to actually cook on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#8]
More than one person has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Jetboil and its like from other companies are great if boiling is what you are after. Certainly no reservations about them for that type of cooking or just heating of water. However, if you want more control or the ability to evenly heat larger meals then you want something with a burner that is more spread out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More than one person has hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Jetboil and its like from other companies are great if boiling is what you are after. Certainly no reservations about them for that type of cooking or just heating of water. However, if you want more control or the ability to evenly heat larger meals then you want something with a burner that is more spread out.
View Quote
I cook on a jet boil full meals and it works fine. Get the nicest model you might want,  it's a long term investment.  Mine is a decade old going strong. Lots of winter use.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My old model Jetboil is still going strong; I've replaced the piezo ignitor once.  They are great for boiling water but they don't simmer well.  Mine lives in the back of my truck most of the time along with a spare fuel canister.  If I'm going truck camping I still carry my old Coleman though since it's so much easier to actually cook on.
View Quote
If i was truck camping agreed. If i have to carry my stove on my back,  jetboil 100%. MSR makes good gear too but i have no experience with their stoves.

I much prefer the cup stove system. Way harder to spill on uneven outdoor surfaces and you need a cup anyway might as well be a grab one system
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
had one for about 10? years or whenever they first came out, still going strong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Same here. Mine has had a lot of hard use and everything still works as new.

ps a full size lighter fits in between the heat sink and lower cup, don't depend on the sparker
Another good tip; After your done with it, unscrew the fuel canister and put the plastic cap back on, then drop it into the cup with the cap down.  That will keep a rust ring from forming in the bottom of the cup.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 11:23:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah Minimo or MSR Windburner allow you to cook actual food instead of just boil water, I went with the MSR.
View Quote
Yup. All depends on what you plan to do. I went with the Jetboil Flash, just because 90% of the time, if i'm going backpacking in a group, we bring the boil in a bag meals. If i wanted to cook, i'd probably grab the minimo or the MSR. Could have gone with the MSR for that, but the Flash is an oz lighter and only cost me $25 after sales/gift cards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top