Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2017 9:24:30 AM EDT
It finally rained last night and I was able to set up the tarp in the backyard for testing.

Here is a video of the general setup.  The setup last night left out the orange edge loops as I staked the shockcord directly.

This morning the tarp setup itself was fine and the entire inside surface had condensation and the grass was damp.  I've only once noticed condensation inside and that was the typical single layer  A-shaped tent one morning on a Cub Scout trip lol.

I have little experience tarp camping (this will be the beginning).  Am I looking at the 'perfect' conditions here for condensation in spite of the open ends?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]

linked it for you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  It showed in the Preview post but I suspected it wouldn't display in the completed post lol.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you get it up before any rain fell?
Is it real, lots of fakes out there? It it supposed to be waterproof, or it it marked DMR?

Suggestion, move your poles to one side, it will give you better ventilation underneath. Being in FL, raising it up a little will also help ventilation, there is a trade-off between air and drip lines.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, before it rained.  The grass was dry.

I'm confident it is legit. (new)

The setup in the video has all the edges elevated.  I'll try that again someday.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Condensation is normal.
Especially if it's humid like it is now.

Also. I set mine higher up. And I don't use a ridge line . I use the center edge tie outs run them to a tree or your trekking poles. So there is no snag in the middle.
Once set higher you can angle the sides out wider.
Allows more air flow.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#6]
As a sort of follow up, I bought a used ICS tent, pretty cool , and have had it set up the last two days/nights in the backyard.

And it's been raining

ICS tent in rain storm weather with inside view

I noticed this morning, after another rain, that despite having a groundsheet, despite it having been on the ground for the last two days, that there was heavy condensation under the rainfly.  No one had slept in the tent either.

I guess, no matter what, that 85-90% humidity will do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top