Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2017 11:58:27 PM EDT
Is there any place to go coyote hunting in the El Paso area?

I don't know anything about hunting and figured I'd just "go out there" and try. I got a rabbit call, took one of my AR15 and headed out.

I went out in a isolated desert location one three separate occasions at 0500 1800 and 2400 hours.

Absolutely nothing. My rabbit call did manage to make almost every dog in ear shot start barking.

I have no idea what I'm doing, figured I just read a bit about varmint hunting and give it a whirl. So far, nothing.

Any advice? Also, I didn't know 99% of Texas land was private....kinda puts a damper in hunting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a lot of info you can find for locating coyotes on youtube. You'll also have more luck here in the Small game and trapping sub forum. 
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Look into new mexico, I'm in the west tx area, not as far west as you are. Something like 60% of the state is public land. It's where I do most of my predator hunting. 74 bucks a year, coyotes only. They have seasons for Fox and cat.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Texas, but am 8 miles from the NM State line.   Much of NM is BLM land, so all you need is a basic...$65.00 (non-resident) hunting license.   They are everywhere, you have to be patient, and change location every 15 minutes or so.  Use an electronic call if you do not know how to call.  Don't get a really cheap call, they sound like a broken kazoo...lol.   Most coyotes I've shot have been well within 100 yards.....fall is the best time, they are getting their winter coat, right now they are raising their young.

Practice using the calls now....you'll pick the right one for fall.

Happy Trails.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]
As a somewhat new hunter I've struggled with this too. Obviously learning to call is important, but more so is understand how the coyote thinks. You need to keep the wind in your face so they cannot smell you, they can be apprehensive so movement will scare them off, and they will try to stay in cover as long as they can. Good luck it can be tough, and I second the electronic call. I still haven't called one in with my normal call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top