Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2015 12:19:15 PM EDT
My normal daily routine requires a 30 minute drive, roughly 20 miles to work then a return trip home. It's a well populated area and I can be rural areas fairly quick. So I don't NEED much in my bag, but other trips are 300-400 miles away and usually very very rural. In those instances I would grab a bigger bag with more supplies.
Does anyone else do the same? Seems like a better idea then switching out gear every few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have different "modules" or pouches for different uses I can just put in and out. If it's longer I have a "utility" kit I can add.

I have the minimum, for EDK, then I can add the others as needed. What I have been actually doing lately, is having one of my medium sized bags for out of town trips with non-edk stuff in , then I just add the edk stuff.

I have ready to go, my first aid and meds module, spare batteries, gps, utility module that has stuff like vice grips, foil, safety pins, and other odds and ends that are useful. Wipes, bandana, hygiene module, multitool.

And other stuff. Basically everything I need to be comfortable if I decide or need to spend the night.

If you organize your stuff into short term and long term modules, you can swap them in and out as needed.

It also depends on what you are planning for. Some folks carry a bunch of crap they will probably never use, like fishing supplies and what not, and overlook everyday stuff like a bandana or wipes. If you aren't going into your bob very often, you probably don't have the right kind of stuff in it. Of course it's important to put back in the stuff you use. If you need some ibuprophen, then it should be in your bob, but you need to top it off every now and then.

If you find yourself needing things or wanting something you don't have, a pen, a rubberband, a bungie cord, then you don't have the right stuff.

I tried to think of multi use things. Dental floss can be used for a variety of things. Rubber bands and small bungies are very useful too. Saftey pins, knife or multitool, small vice grips, lighter, a couple esbit tabs, those are all things I've had that came in handy at one time or another.

Your needs may vary from my needs. You might need a space blanket where I may not. I seriously doubt anyone needs fishing supplies but they take up little space, and the line and hooks may be used to fish some keys dropped behind a car seat or something.

Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking at your post again, I would definitely include a headlamp, gps, and spare batteries in your long term bag. If you are always driving the same vehicle you can just have some kind of duffle to throw in on those trips.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 bags of different sizes and for different jobs. I start with my murse or messenger bag that holds my pistol and a basic compliment of gear; lighters, flashlight poncho etc. my small backpack builds on that and it lives in my trunk. You could consider this a 24 hour bag and it holds my shelter, large knife, machete and some more smaller gear that we carry plus 2 mre's. My largest bag is my 96 hour bag that has my stuff we need for longer term survival. The real key is how all my bags work together and compliment each other. By themselves we could get by, but all together and we have some nice stuff that will make bush life pretty comfortable, plus they all integrate into each other. That way we don't look like a couple tourists on vacation toting 10 bags
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top