Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2014 2:16:36 PM EDT
All,

I have had a continuing problem with batteries in my outdoor activities and would like guidance and recommendations on what I should change and how.

I notice that between 10 and 20% of my batteries will corrode during summer outings (Houston is home but I also had failures in southern Utah) whether it be inside the equipment or stored in a ziploc bag.  I admit to using cheap alkaline batteries and do not know whether this is part of the problem or how much of it.

Should I be using a different type of battery?  Storing them differently?  Of these or other proper planning, what have you found matters most?

Thanks for your time and help.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't buy cheap alkalines, they leak.  If the device isn't being used on a regular basis then remove the batteries after using it and don't store them in the device.  Buy some good rechareable NiMh batteries like Eneloops, they keep a 75-80% for a year if they sit unused, and get a good smart charger.  The up front cost of buying rechareables and a charger will save you money in the long run compared to buy cheap and shitty alkalines
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you using Ray-o-vac?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you using Ray-o-vac?
View Quote

Cheaper - Fry's generic house batteries.

Thanks for all the input so far guys.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you using Ray-o-vac?
View Quote

Are rayovacs known to leak more than others? I have a couple packs of them
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Duracell has the best rep for not leaking , I have read this in several threads multiple forums . That said I use Energizers myself and have never had one leak (yet) . You don't save any money with the cheap batteries as the name brands last so much longer. Buy quality.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy Eneloops, a charger and a plastic battery case.

Not only have I not had any leaks, I don't find myself buying batteries very often anymore.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
ive had bad luck with duracells leaking lately. they haved ruined a couple devices in the past year. the latest being a $70 4sevens flash light. not happy. i havent had any bad luck with energizers so im weening out the duracells in everything around the house.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Duracell has the best rep for not leaking , I have read this in several threads multiple forums . That said I use Energizers myself and have never had one leak (yet) . You don't save any money with the cheap batteries as the name brands last so much longer. Buy quality.
View Quote

Duracells have leaked and ruined a headset and a handheld GPS of mine in the past few months.  They are horrible.  I have switched to Eneloops.  I hope they don't leak when they get discharged.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
energizer has a device replacement guarantee if they leak...
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:50:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks very much for everyone's help and the variety of options.

We only have to power 2 headlamps and a GPS so I think we will give the eneloops a try as it won't be very expensive to update.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top