Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2014 9:09:21 AM EDT
Does anyone wear smartwool socks in the summer? I'm looking for some to hike in and wear around town.

I've been looking at the Mens PHD lightweight crew . Does anyone have these? Do they get to hot at all?
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about Smart Woll but I have been wearing Darn Tough Vermont wool socks for 3 years every day of the week year round. No heat issues whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I wear Smartwool year round.  Hiking (not Light Hikers) in spring thru fall, Trekkers in winter.  Coastal PacNW (mild) climate.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I wear the darn tough socks all year as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
REI seconds when they are on sale.
Even with sandals...
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 3:49:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I wear Darn Tough Hiker 1/4 sock Cushion for summer, SmartWool light hikers for the other 3 seasons.

Link Posted: 2/20/2014 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Year round for me too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Darn Tough for me too. No issues, happy feet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does anyone wear smartwool socks in the summer? I'm looking for some to hike in and wear around town.

I've been looking at the Mens PHD lightweight crew . Does anyone have these? Do they get to hot at all?
View Quote

I have several pair and my wife and I wear them year round and especially during the summer and backpacking.  The lighter socks don't heat up at all and they also don't retain odors as bad as synthetics. The lighter socks also dry quickly.  These are some of the best socks and I'm also looking for sales or deals...

I'm moving away from more cushioned socks. As I am trying to wear more minimalst shoes, I find the thicker socks counter productive for backbacking.  I typically pack two pair of light socks to rotate and I keep a slightly thicker pair as dedicated sleep socks or for emergencies.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear Injinji smart wool socks year round
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for Darn Tough wool socks.  Best thing that happened to my feet since modern sandals.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear them year round.  Haven't tried the Darn Tough socks yet.  New socks, one of life's simple pleasures.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I use the light hikers from time to time in the summer
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even with sandals...
View Quote

Bought 8 pair @ $6.37...free shipping
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I have alot of smart wool socks that i wear year round with boots but as of late have been trying out the omni wool socks from Samsclub and they have been holding up very well and for 15.00 bucks for three pair are much more afordable.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I were the low top version of that sock year round.  They are very comfortable and durable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear wool socks year-round, with dress shoes or hikers or work boots, with shorts, to the gym...

Come on over to the dark side, it's warm here.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#17]
The army taught me to wear wool socks in the summer, after getting out I learned that with Wigwam, SmartWool, and Darn Tough you could do it in comfort. I wear them in my steel toes at work every day, and with the boots I wear 95% of the time outside of work. I do wear athletic socks with sneakers, though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm lucky enough to live in LL Bean country where there are TONS of "irregular" Smart Wools to go around.  During Spring, Fall and Winter I wear all of the hiking/hunting/casual (with dress shoes) and during the summer (when I'm wearing sneakers/hiking boots) I wear these:  http://www.smartwool.com/socks/mens-phd-run-light-micro-sock.html

We recently moved and my wife and I each filled a "large" UHaul box of Smart Wools.  Worth the money, especially if you have an outlet type store nearby selling irregulars.  I'm yet to notice anything wrong with them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:51:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wear these year round at work.  I work inside and am on my feet 5-6 hours a day.  I am old, have diabetes
and before I wore these socks I had a lot of issues with pain and discomfort in my feet, and now I have none!
I attribute this to cushion effect of the socks.
If you are talking about light hiking these should work great!
Shop around you can usually find these at a pretty good discount...  
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I like smartwool..they just wear out fast.....Darn tough(life time warranty) and made in the USA hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#21]
How many pairs of socks do you get for $21.00 + shipping?
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 8:49:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

Even with sandals...

Not this

ETA I also pickup the Kirkland wool socks at Costco, but they are already out-of-season in my area.  I seldom wear cotton socks anymore, they just make my feet feel wet & cold.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm wearing the socks linked below right now.  I have no idea why they're seconds.  You can find coupons for that place easily.  Great socks so far.  I do have some Darn Toughs on the way to see if they hold up better.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/smartwool-phd-outdoor-light-socks-merino-wool-lightweight-crew-for-men-and-women~p~6032j/?filterString=mens-socks~d~151%2F&colorFamily=05
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.

Not this

ETA I also pickup the Kirkland wool socks at Costco, but they are already out-of-season in my area.  I seldom wear cotton socks anymore, they just make my feet feel wet & cold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Even with sandals...

Not this

I picked up the kirkland socks as well but after a winter of wearing them daily they have not held up well.  All balled up and getting thin in spots.  Where my smartwools have lasted 5years or more.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I picked up the kirkland socks as well but after a winter of wearing them daily they have not held up well.  All balled up and getting thin in spots.  Where my smartwools have lasted 5years or more.
View Quote

My Kirklands may be wearing quicker than my other wool socks, but I also paid less for a three pack of Kirklands than what I was paying for a pair of socks at REI.  "Quantity is a quality all its own" and all that ;-)
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I am heading to the outlet mall tomorrow after the range I own 0 pairs of wool socks, I didnt know they could be work in summer, do any of these stores carry them do you think? I dont like crowds so I will go in get what I need and get out. I am going to the merrell store though.

List of stores

thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I am heading to the outlet mall tomorrow after the range I own 0 pairs of wool socks, I didnt know they could be work in summer, do any of these stores carry them do you think? I dont like crowds so I will go in get what I need and get out. I am going to the merrell store though.

List of stores

thanks
View Quote

Be careful, you need lightweight wool socks for summer.  The thick Sams Club and Kirkland that are being talked about are too heavy in summer.  They will work great in the winter, although I usually prefer a thinner sock, even in the coldest parts of winter.  For summer you need thinner socks.  I wear these in the warmest parts of summer:

And these in the other seasons, including all day indoors at work in the winter, and around town:

They also can work well in the summer, they don't get too hot, but for 80 degrees and up I like the Darn Tough above.

If I'm outside all day in the winter, at temps below freezing, I will go these, which are still probably just a shade lighter than the Sams Club socks.  The Sams club socks are just a little bit thicker than the Smartwool Mediums.

I don't know how to relay their weights and what the temp differences are, so I know it's not much help, but for summer use you will want thinner socks, as in thinner than most cotton athletic socks.  The Smartwool Light Hikers above are probably just a tad thicker than normal cotton athletic socks, while the DarnTough are probably a little thinner.

Hope that helps.  I always wait to find the socks on sale, then stack them deep.  With 7-8 pairs of the smartwool light hikers I can usually get 2 years out of them, MAYBE 3, wearing them every day for 3 seasons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top