Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 5:29:20 AM EDT
Anniversary hike ends in tragedy near scenic spot
SALT LAKE CITY --  They left their two young children with relatives and set off to celebrate their fifth wedding anniversary at one of the most beautiful hiking destinations in the Southwest.

Months earlier, the luck of a draw had brought Anthony and Elisabeth Ann Bervel coveted hiking permits for The Wave, a region of richly colored sandstone patterns near the Utah-Arizona border.

But just hours into Monday's trek, 27-year-old Elisabeth Bervel died of cardiac arrest, becoming the third hiker in a month to succumb to the brutal summer heat and disorienting open country where no marked trail shows the way.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:41:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Exercise kills!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Failure to plan is totally preventable. It amazes me how many people go places without a compass.

But I have to wonder what kind of health she was in. She must not have been terribly fit to go down that fast.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It's hot.  Stay hydrated.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Failure to plan is totally preventable. It amazes me how many people go places without a compass.

But I have to wonder what kind of health she was in. She must not have been terribly fit to go down that fast.
View Quote

who knows? a lot of people have fairly serious health problems but have no symptoms.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#5]
This is really sad, they leave behind 2 kids without parents.

I think they way underestimated their abilities. They had 8 guides that were available.

Many people are under the false assumption that the national parks are like a "walk in the park," with no associated dangers. kind of like a walk in Disneyland.

Mistakes in nature are very unforgiving.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is really sad, they leave behind 2 kids without parents.
View Quote

rif.

ar-jedi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top