Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 5:38:23 AM EDT
Between 1:30a and 3:00a I was woken to several different owls. The call was the "who cooks for you" Barred owl. I couldn't sleep through the racket and finally got up and paid attention. I identified 7 different birds. Is this normal for them to congregate? Also walking dogs just before sunrise I encountered an injured adult raccoon hiding in a culvert. So my question is do Barred owls predate on larger mammals such as an adult raccoon? If so do they work cooperatively in such predation?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
some of the ones in my back woods are fucking HUGE. I mean dog size.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
some of the ones in my back woods are fucking HUGE. I mean dog size.

I had one fly by my face while sitting in a tree stand deer huning once. I bet this thing had a wing span of about 4 feet and and was pretty hefty. Scared the shit out of me as it was at dawn and was juuuuussssstttt light enough to see that I almost got fucked up. It was literally about 5 feet from my face.

Had another one in a tree about 20 feet away one time just sit and stare at me for about 2 hours!! I think it was trying to take my soul, LOL

They are pretty cool though.

J-

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting story TJ. Been living here for nearly 13 years and while seeing owls frequently I have always considered them to be solitary hunters. Granted I live way out in the sticks and expect to see things like this. We also see Great Grays on a migratory basis but that is pretty short term and never more than one at a time. Last night was a new experience. I'm pretty sure there were 7 different birds. The generic web info I can Google does indicate they are territorial so the Owl wars were definitely on but I never would have guessed they'd take on an adult 'coon Around here the problem with vanishing small woodland game is more than likely feral cats and I would welcome the owls decimating those little b*st*rds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top