Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 3:43:01 PM EDT
I got the opportunity to do an overnighter on the Tuxachanie Trail in the Desoto National Forest.  Could not have asked for better weather.  The hike was 5.5 miles in and 5.5 miles out.  There are new mile markers on the trail, which is nice since the old ones were no longer accurate due to a couple re-route since Katrina.  The trail was in good shape.  There were several people out and about day hiking and two Boy Scout troops from Lousiana enjoying the trail as well.  One troop was camping at Airey Lake and the other at the POW Camp.  Sunday night was an exceptionally clear night for star gazing.  i also got to use my new 60csx on this trip, which allowed me to get more familiar with it.   I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

SMSP
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. The weather was super, especially Saturday morning. I got a chance to get out and do about a 6 mile paddle out front, but would have rather camped out. Glad they finally remarked the trail. I never could get the old mile markers to reconcile with the trip odometer on my GPS. We'll have to have a camp out sometime this fall. I am actually thinking about driving up and doing some car camping at the Lake because I am interested in camping out with some steaks, my mini grill and a cooler of beer at this point.

On the lookout for some pics of the campout this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w4/shankle_photos/2010%20Labor%20Day%20Tuxachanie%20Overnight/

SMSP
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good. I haven't been on the Tux at all this year. I think last year day before deer season started was my last time, because I ran into everyone out scouting their spots for the next day.

Then they had that accidental shooting later in the year on the livestock trail IIRC.

I do believe its no law that you have to wear an orange vest while on the trail during deer season as a result so be aware (even tho it was always a good idea I  don't think it was law before)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I attached an orange vest on my pack last Fall.  I saw a couple of hunters in thier truck when the trail got close to the forestry road by the picnic table, which use to be mile marker 9.  I think they were running dogs.  I guess that hunter last year must have thought that horse was the biggest deer he had ever seen or something.

SMSP
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, friggin shame a 10 year old girl and her mom were on top of the horse when he decided to open up with his shotgun. Miracle they weren't killed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder what ever happened to the hunter?  Was he fined?  Banned from hunting?  Something?

That hunter is lucky the rider on the horse was not a regular participant in our matches at CRPC!

SMSP
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think he was ever charged with anything formal. I do think he was cited and fined for hunting too close to a public road

As a result, I believe they have established some kind of "no hunting" buffer zone around all the trials, and everyone using the trails during deer season are required to wear orange. Not sure of the particulars, since it covers about 3 or 4 juristictions between MDWF, county, state, and National Forest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top