Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2010 4:33:30 AM EDT
Cane seasone it here.

If I store gas for 6 months should I do any thing special?

Staibil? Seafoam? Run-what-u-brung and just let it sit?

I plan on filling up my cans this week and they storede till needed go till December, Which ever is first.

Link Posted: 6/29/2010 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Stabil should be fine.  I use it to treat my gas stash (50 galons) which I keep for a year before rotating out and never had any problems.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I use NATO cans and TRY to use it every six months. Six months is a minimum storage time. Some cans go a year+ before I put it in the car. I've never had a hint of a problem...

Just straight gas.
IE: no stabilizer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2010 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have used fuel as old as a year or more.

But I am a little worried about the E10% stuff stored in a HOT Florida Shed.
Link Posted: 7/1/2010 8:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Marine Sta-bil.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Marine stabil, its the blue stuff. most wal marts are now carrying it. I have been using it since it came out. 120 gal. of e-10 ran fine after sitting for well over 1 yr.

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
i've stored untreated 93 octane with ethanol in metal non-carb nozzled jerry cans for about a year and it runs fine in my tacoma, civic and lawn equipment.  i'd imagine 87 would store fine.

ETA store in a hot humid houston garage.  i don't have a shed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 5:21:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 12 5-gallon plastic cans I have been storing.  What I do is just use two a month and then refill.  That keeps me stocked with 60-gallons that is never over 6 months old.  If I haven't used my 10-gallons each month in the misc equipment, it goes in my truck.  I figure that way I am diluting the 6 month old gas that goes in my truck with at least 50% new gas.  The gas is stored outside in a wooden storage box I built that is in the shade.  The box gets wet when it rains and some of the rain can get onto the cans, but I have never had a problem.  I do filter the gas as it is poured from the can.  I do not use any additives or stabilizers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have 12 5-gallon plastic cans I have been storing.  What I do is just use two a month and then refill.  That keeps me stocked with 60-gallons that is never over 6 months old.  If I haven't used my 10-gallons each month in the misc equipment, it goes in my truck.  I figure that way I am diluting the 6 month old gas that goes in my truck with at least 50% new gas.  The gas is stored outside in a wooden storage box I built that is in the shade.  The box gets wet when it rains and some of the rain can get onto the cans, but I have never had a problem.  I do filter the gas as it is poured from the can.  I do not use any additives or stabilizers.

I like that method
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I ran some 87 octane that was over 1.5 years old just the other day in my 09 Dodge Ram Hemi. I had Sta-bil in it and it only filled half of my tank, but I didn't have any issues.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:22:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stabil should be fine.  I use it to treat my gas stash (50 galons) which I keep for a year before rotating out and never had any problems.

Same here.  Actually last time I went 2 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top