Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2009 6:23:31 AM EDT
I am headed to the panhandle to do some pheasant hunting before Christmas.  I am no stranger to the cold, having spent 3 weeks every January in our remote mining claim cabin in the Rocky Mountain wilderness of CO for the last 13 years at 30 below daily.  However, I have expensive technical clothing for that and am in need of a cold weather/water proof/wind proof bib or suite for upland bird hunting.  I don't want anything orange as I will wear an orange vest and hat and want camo so I can wear it during deer season in TX when it rarely gets cold enough to do so.  Any suggestions, <$200?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/9/2009 8:19:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a couple pairs of Woolrich wool bibs that I like a lot for hunting since they're quiet in brush. One pair is camo and the other is dark green and black checked.  Carhart makes their insulated bibs in dark green also if Irrc.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Walls has some hunting products.  Check them outWalls Outdoors
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem I have with bibs, and overalls is it is hard to move around in. About 5-6 years ago I fell twice in the same winter, once down a 10 foot or so bluff on the river bank. I broke some ribs on that one, and was misrable for a month or more. Now I'm not a clutz or anything, just wearing bibs restricts my movment.
I ended up getting better base layers, and some US military fleece bibs. They arnt like insulated bibs, they fit loose and are light, easy to move in. I wear military goretex pants and parka over that. I can keep as warm as wearing bibs, but can move around easy, not all stiff like.
I got a base layer 4-way stretch fleece union suit, that really cuts down on the need for heavy outer layers.

I still use bibs for dirty work though.
Walls brand are good for the money.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Filson makes oilskin bibs for about $200.  If you have some wool pants and long johns you would be able to layer for about any conditions you'll see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top