Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2009 7:57:40 PM EDT
Me and my 16 y.o son went on a 3 day hike. We used it as a simulated 3 day bug out. We used our Alice packs instead of our lighter weight Keltys. I dont know why, those thing are uncomfortable, but my son wanted to go tacticool.
It was a fun trip with the exception of using hamocks at 10,000 feet. It was damn cold, down to 37 degrees at night.
We packed food for our trip and also took our fishing poles, the alpine lakes we hiked to are full of trout and Atlantic Greyling. It was nice to know we could of supplemented our food with wild trout if need be. We also could of killed a deer and a thousand ground squirrels if necessary. My son tried to snare 1 with 550 cord innards but was unsuccesful.
We started at 7,000' and hiked to 10,000' the hike in was around 7 miles. My knees did ok on the way in but coming down I was having trouble with my left knee. i might look into some trekking poles here soon. I improvised and cut a pine pole for a walking stick. It helped but I had sap all over my hands and there wasn't any hard wood at that elevation to use instead.
Here's the pics....
Here's my pack and 80% of the stuff I packed.

What my boy carried:

Most of my food. Not pictured is more M.H stuff.

Here's some of my son's food, not pictured is 5 more MRE's, Ramen and a bunch of pogey bait. Teenagers eat like crazy. he complained about being hungry the whole trip.....

here's what was on me, my EDC"

On my Son:

The hike in:

The camp site:

Here's the camp site from across the lake.

The view from my hammock:

Scenery:

Doing a little fishing:

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]
We only kept one fish since we hooked him in the gils and it would of died anyway.
Dinner pics:

Relaxing in the evening with a Fuente:

I tried to use the Survival fishing kit that was issued to me 20 years ago but most of the stuff in it was junk. I've been carrying it all this time and never bothered to test it. Most of it will be going in the trash and replaced with quality gear.

My son now hates all water filters, this was his daily chore.

The hike out:

On our second day I noticed something blue on the other side of the lake, it was a 20 y.o college girl backpacking by herself and fishing for her lunch. She was on summer break and backpacking by herself into remote alpine lakes. She said she has been doing it every summer with her Dad but he passed away last year so this summer she was going solo. I didn't want to freak her out by asking about it, but I noticed a snubby she was trying to conceal. Tight jeans and concealment dont go together.... She was a little cutie, If I was only younger.....
Hope you enjoyed the pics.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Soon my boys will be old enough for something like this.....  Right now the can't handle more than camping out of the back of the truck (which is also cool).

Great job!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice pics ... looks like you had a great time ... i'm jealous

i've been trying to get out a little more this summer, mostly for day hikes, but i'll take what i can get
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:37:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice pics looks like beautiful IDAHO
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#7]
what kind of knife is that in the first picture?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice...You created some great memories with your son.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what kind of knife is that in the first picture?

A Gerber BMF.

And before anyone raises the B.S flag, here's Amy, the girl we met...You can see her revolver barrel peaking out on her right hip.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm jealous.

+1 Great pics looks like a damn good time!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
So what were your pack weights?  I'm guessing maybe 35# ish?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Good guess Tx, mine weighed 32lbs, about 10 lbs more than i would like to carry this time of year, but it helps to get me ready for my back country Mule deer hunt coming up in a month.......
I didn't weigh the boy's pack, but it was around the same....
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Memories for a life time.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice work! Some beautiful country you have there. Nothing like it in MO that's for damn sure. I always say an outing like that sure trumps father/son bonding of watching a ball game.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:56:22 AM EDT
[#15]
You and your son, should've invited Amy to go with you yearly & make a new friend & maybe help her cope...  Seriously, nothing perverted, just people getting together & enjoying nature "together".  Give her that feeling of having her dad around again & let her know that people still care about each other.

Pathfinder
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Good for you and your son (and for Amy).

I am as jealous as the rest.

Spoon
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:08:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like a great time.. Too bad she just wanted a stubby.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:32:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Very cool! Glad to see your teenage son learning and doing something productive unlike many other teens out there! Great job teaching and thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You and your son, should've invited Amy to go with you yearly & make a new friend & maybe help her cope...  Seriously, nothing perverted, just people getting together & enjoying nature "together".  Give her that feeling of having her dad around again & let her know that people still care about each other.

Pathfinder

I thought about that too, but I kinda got the feeling she wanted to be alone. I think this trip was part of her healing process.
But her and my son exchanged email, so we will see.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Lungbuster what fishing rods are you packing there?  I've been looking for small break down rod to put in my pack.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow, looks like beautiful country.
I would definitely recommend trying out some trekking poles. I hike quite a bit, never thought much of trekking poles until I tried them. It's like having 4 wheel drive. Not only do they aid in climbing, but I find them most beneficial for descending grades, you can take so much recoil off your legs and knees. I actually had some old cross-country ski poles in the garage and simply cut the webbing off to try out the concept. I liked using them so much, I picked some up though they are a kind of expensive investment.

Thanks for sharing

Excuse me, I'm just going to go find Amy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks like fun.  I hate filtering water also.  Why can't I run into hotties like that in the back country?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:55:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks like a good trip, great scenery to boot. Any insect issues?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Beautiful pics Lungbuster. This 52 year old Florida boy would love to get out there and see that part of the country .
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:29:59 AM EDT
[#25]
That is fullll of win. You are a good DAD. Next time ditch the alice packs.
10,000 it toooo high. Cold. COld COld.

Next time go for a swim to prove your manliness!

My boy is six. I cant wait.

My Tactical Taylor 3 day is verry comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like a good time, and I would think that girls Amy wouldn't have any trouble finding a camping partner
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any insect issues?

Just a few gnats in the mornings, no mosquitos though.....

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#28]
It's nice to see a young women who is enjoying the outdoors instead of being afraid of it. Her dad taught her right. I'm sure also that she is well taught on how to use that snubby she's packing .
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#29]
This year I'm going to take my kid on his 1st non car camping sleep outside trip.  I'm looking forward to it!  I can't wait until he's old enough to walk a distance with me.

Great post and good training.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#30]
great trip

looks like its pretty common to open carry a pistol in ID

normally back east we carry a piece but in the pack, not as much in the open, i guess thats common practice out west

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Looks like you had a great time.  Wish I would have done something like that with my son while he was still here at home.  We did go camping as a family but I would have liked to have gone and hiked somewhere as you did.

Nice dinner pic you slipped in there too!

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:51:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Like your little rod.

Now you throw in a flask to go with that Stoogie, you'll fit in quite well with a bunch of the folks I know here on the forum.

... +1

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#34]

Now you throw in a flask to go with that Stoogie, you'll fit in quite well with a bunch of the folks I know here on the forum.

It wasn't in the pics, Crown Royal. It helps me sleep.

Hicap,
Most people have a handgun of some sort in the back-country here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you for the post and pics.  I really enjoyed it.  My two boys are very young and will have their first backyard campout this fall.
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looks like fun.  I hate filtering water also.  Why can't I run into hotties like that in the back country?

Yeah, that was my first thought when I read that part too. It's always been a dream of mine...
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 6:12:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I think its time for new fishing line!
Good pics.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#38]

I'm curious..... All I see in your pictures are the one water bottle your son is filling, and possibly some sort of canteen in amongest your gear. Was that all you were carrying for water storage / transport?

As for those USGI survival fishing kits –––– you have to be creative with those things. Hunger is a great motivator to force yourself in to experimenting with all the supplies contained within that kit. The fish certainly won't jump out at you once you peel the tape from around it!

Great pics –––– thanks for sharing them (and Amy) with us.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 2:18:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Awesome post. Love seeing the variety ofgear everyone uses. Looks like a cool place to go.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Great pic's, thanks...

I can't wait until my son comes home from the sand box so that we can continue our yearly camping trips....
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Great pics, thanks for sharing your trip with us.

10/10 on the dinner pics too!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Great pics and thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I thought you said she was a little cute...She looks smoking HOTT to me. the fishing pole and the sidearm just makes her hotter. Oh, great post by the way.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks like you both had a great time.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like a lot of fun!! Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 10:55:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Much win here.  

(accept for that glock)
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks awesome. Where at in ID?

I just moved here a few months back and just got back today from a foray in the Frank Church wilderness. Hit up the some of the soldier lakes and did some alpine swimming. That water is brisk but man loads of trout and pretty scenery.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
great trip

looks like its pretty common to open carry a pistol in ID

normally back east we carry a piece but in the pack, not as much in the open, i guess thats common practice out west

That is because here in GA it wasn't legal for the longest to carry in state parks. that has changed now I think but to carry in a state park it had to be unloaded.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Too cool. nice pics.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Chili mac with beef FUCK YES.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top