Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2009 5:14:31 AM EDT
If so how do you like it?

I just did 3 days on the AT with my son and 6 others.  I haven't backpacked in a long time, but I'm really getting back into it now.  But at 45 the ground just doesn't feel as comfortable as it used to.

Instead of an ultralight tent I was thinking of getting a camping hammock.

http://hennessyhammock.com/
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a hennessey, but I do use a hammock for camping as I too have become tired of sleeping on the hard ground.

If you didn't do a Search the topic, do as there have been numerous threads regarding hammock camping.

Also, you mimght try googling the hammock forum...

Spoon
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 5:55:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any problems with my Hennessy Explorer Ultralight. I ditched the stock tarp and use a MacCat Deluxe instead, though. I get a good night's sleep. One thing I've done is switched to a ring buckle system instead of the HH method of using tree straps with their time-consuming and difficult-to-adjust knot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't have a hennessey, but I do use a hammock for camping as I too have become tired of sleeping on the hard ground.

If you didn't do a Search the topic, do as there have been numerous threads regarding hammock camping.

Also, you mimght try googling the hammock forum...

Spoon

Nothing came up on a search for Hennessy,  of course if I became a team member I could search the archives better.

I'll try googling the hammock forum.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#5]
My Hennessy is more comfortable than my bed, a truly innovative design with regard to the bottom entry.  I don't like the asymmetric tarp, buy a regular lightweight 8x8 tarp instead.  Mine is about six years old now and has been used hard, no problems.  Instead of using guy ropes to spread the tarp I cut a stick and use it as a spreader, works much better.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Speer hammock too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I saw the Speer's they seemed quite a bit more expensive.

However I did notice the "Kit" option.  I have a little sister (well at 44 it's tough calling her little anymore) that is a magician with a sewing machine.  It would probably take her 15 minutes to sew it.

Have you used a Speer?
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't have any problems with my Hennessy Explorer Ultralight. I ditched the stock tarp and use a MacCat Deluxe instead, though. I get a good night's sleep. One thing I've done is switched to a ring buckle system instead of the HH method of using tree straps with their time-consuming and difficult-to-adjust knot.

Do you have any pics of that setup?
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If so how do you like it?

I just did 3 days on the AT with my son and 6 others.  I haven't backpacked in a long time, but I'm really getting back into it now.  But at 45 the ground just doesn't feel as comfortable as it used to.

Instead of an ultralight tent I was thinking of getting a camping hammock.

http://hennessyhammock.com/

Love mine!  It is my "go to" shelter if there are trees where I'm going.  If it's cold, you'll want a closed cell foam pad between you and the outside air.

Link Posted: 5/27/2009 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I just used my Asym this last weekend camping . Here are some pros and cons:

Pros:
Went up super fast.
you only need 2 trees or somthing to anchor off of.
Pretty concealed (if your worried about people looking for you)
Super comfortable
Can be configured with the rainfly for different conditions
Super lightweight and compact when being transported
no zipper to break
your off the ground so no getting wet , bugs, rocks,  etc.

Cons:
U need 2 trees or a anchor
it's only one person
u still have to find a place to stow your gear from getting wet
u basicly have to drop you shoes out before getting in, no biggie but sort of a pia
it gets hot inside ( see more detail below)
hard to get you sleeping bag etc set up without looking like your spazing out inside
your off the ground ( another angle for things to creep around you, nothing like having a racoon bump you from underneath and you have no idea what the hell it is. )

I like my hammock, but as you can see it does have it's drawbacks.   as a light weight, 1 person, almost any terrain or angle, it is number one. In a no holds barred gear war it has draw backs.  VERY COMFORTABLE and LIGHT

The main issues I had was it being super hot inside @ night.  They claimn it is a 3 season tent and I agree.  It keep you also warmer that most reviews let on.  Most of the ones I read all used a mat inside to keep from radiating too much body heat.  It was ~85 degrees durning the day and fell only a few degrees @ night.  I went from in my sleeping bag to on top of it to no bag and could not stop sweating.  I don't usually have a problem with overheating, but I was dying inside.  I did manage to fall asleep only to awake a few hours later to somthing moving under me.  the only thing seperating you from the ground is a thin piece of hammock and your shorts.  After figuing it was a small mammal I shouted a few times to scare it off and tried to go back to sleep.

Hope this helps.

BTW get the snake skins, they make is easy to pack it up without it falling on the ground.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best pic I have of it right now. I didn't think to shoot the whole thing.

I'm going to try to write a thousand words to see if they're worth one picture.

I took a 12' piece of 1" polypro webbing and sewed a loop in one end. I throw that around the tree putting a biner through the loop. The free end of the strap goes back through the biner and is what you see in the rings in the image above. It's incredibly fast to setup and is easily adjustable. I'll try to take some more pics this weekend. Hmm, well, not quite 1000 words.

The white line is the load line that's connected to the hammock in place of the standard line that comes with the Hennessy. The Figure 9 biner and two shock cords are non-load-bearing and belong to my SuperShelter.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

However I did notice the "Kit" option.  I have a little sister (well at 44 it's tough calling her little anymore) that is a magician with a sewing machine.  It would probably take her 15 minutes to sew it.

Have you used a Speer?

Yes, I use a speer exclusively for all my shelter needs...

I don't know about price difference, but I do know that I like the top-loading aspect of the Speer. I also like the removable bug-netting... it's a very uncomplicated hammock to use, and extremely comfortable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you used a Speer?

Yes, I use a speer exclusively for all my shelter needs...

I don't know about price difference, but I do know that I like the top-loading aspect of the Speer. I also like the removable bug-netting... it's a very uncomplicated hammock to use, and extremely comfortable.

Speer with the Tarp and the Bug net was $199, but I just checked again and they have a 10% off summer special for $179.  That makes it maybe $40 more than the Hennessey.

It looks like camping hammocks have a lot of personal preference and I'll need to try one out before I decide what I really like.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Hennessey Hammock for me.  I've borrowed a friends Explored deluxe on a few occasions and slept great in it.  So well I have my own coming, should be arriving today or tomorrow for a weekend trip.  For me, it's either hammock in most weather, or shelter tarp in extreme cold.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the best pic I have of it right now. I didn't think to shoot the whole thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/fotomonkey/hiking/gear/shelter/IMG_1464_640.jpg

I'm going to try to write a thousand words to see if they're worth one picture.

I took a 12' piece of 1" polypro webbing and sewed a loop in one end. I throw that around the tree putting a biner through the loop. The free end of the strap goes back through the biner and is what you see in the rings in the image above. It's incredibly fast to setup and is easily adjustable. I'll try to take some more pics this weekend. Hmm, well, not quite 1000 words.

The white line is the load line that's connected to the hammock in place of the standard line that comes with the Hennessy. The Figure 9 biner and two shock cords are non-load-bearing and belong to my SuperShelter.

Thanks.  I just need to stop by Miguel's Pizza (and climbing gear) next time I'm down in the RRG (Daniel Boone National Forest) to pick up some webbing and the descenders.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I own a Hennessy and love the thing. I slept in it for a week camping with the family. The wife and daughter used the tent and cots and I used the hammock. I slept like a stone for the whole week. I was informed before we left that the women folk would need a place to get away from the men folk from time to time (heck it was only me and the dog for males but I was not complaining).

I have also used it on many occasions for a weekend trip and the only times I have found it wanting is when it started to get chilly one fall (first time I used it and I had no pad underneath me, the other time was when I was camping out in a sudden storm with horizontal rain that made it's way under the rainfly. Waking up with your butt sitting in a couple of inches of water did not make me a happy camper in the morning.

One other thing to keep in mind is that bugs can bite you thru the fabric, I called Hennessy on this and was told to spray the outside of the hammock with bug spray to keep skeeters at bay. The nice lady I talked to said that Deet should not ruin the fabric and if it did to let her know, I have used Deet on several occasions on the hammock and no damage as of yet.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Rodent wrote up a good review on hammocks that is in the archives now

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=18&t=572539

First, thanks to our fellow outdoorsman and Arfcommer None. In an obviously drunken moment, he mailed me his Hennessy hammock so that I could try it out and compare it to a Clark. (Would you loan your gear to a guy named "Rodent" that you knew from an internet forum?!)

Anyway, both companies make a variety of models/options. What we have here is a Hennessy "Ultralight Backpacker Asym":

www.hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html

and a Clark "North American" with an optional, larger rain fly:

www.junglehammock.com/deluxefeatures.php

It's not really a proper comparison, because the two models are designed for different purposes, and not to compete with each other. There are models from each company that are very similar in cost, weight and intended use. These just aren't them. But, how often do we allow logic to rear it's ugly head here on Arfcom? So, off to the woods for a couple days of off-and-on rain with temps in the fifties:

If you haven't tried hammock camping yet, or if you've only tried it with cheap hammocks, you're in for a pleasant surprise. They dramatically increase the number of useable campsites because it doesn't matter how level, wet or rocky the ground is. All you need is a couple trees, or even a tree and your pick-up truck. And when you leave, there's no trace that you've ever been there - not even flattened vegetation. They're pretty comfortable; I'd say equal to the way I usually sleep on the ground, with two Ridgerest foam pads. They're very light, especially when you consider that they replace not only your tent, but also your ground pad and ground cloth. The only disadvantage to them is that they tend to be cold. Your body compresses whatever insulation is beneath you, and air circulates under the hammock. It's a bad combination unless it's July in Florida and you're TRYING to stay cool.

The flies of both these hammocks can be pitched at different angles to offer varying degrees of protection from sun and rain. They both have dry, shady footprints for cooking and other tasks. Both hammocks offer complete protection from insects. The Clark's mosquito netting can be unzipped and stuck into a pocket when not in use, allowing better visibility and more fresh air. The Hennessy's can't be removed, but then there are no zippers to fail. (My experience has been that zippers are the most unreliable part of tents, backpacks and clothing.)

The Hennessy costs about $180 and weighs 2 pounds. It's very easy to hang. Tie it between two trees, slip the "snake skins" off, and tie out the rain fly's two remaining corners. To strike your camp, untie the fly, slip the snake skins over everything, untie from the trees, and put it into it's stuff sack. The "snake skin" option is a great idea, as it keeps the hammock compact and clean - it never touches the ground. The hammock is relatively roomy inside, and if you sleep at a diagonal angle, your body is almost flat. In other words, you can sleep on your side if you like. Private Root Beer and I both slept in it, and we both gave it the edge for comfort.

The ropes are very strong and thin, I believe they are "Spectra". Straps go around the trees proper so as not to leave marks. It's a good system, strong, compact and light:

The Clark costs about $300 with the optional extra-large rain fly. It weighs 3 1/2 pounds. It's essentially a three-season tent that happens to not touch the ground. Once you tie it between two trees, the fly is tied above it, and then there are four additional corners to tie. So, eight knots at eight tie-off points instead of the Hennessy's four. The payoff is more dry area under the larger fly. It has two layers of weather protection: The rain-fly and a zip-up "weather shield" as well. There are two nice interior pockets, and six large pockets underneath. They provide a still air space for insulation as well as room for gear,and dramatically increase the warmth of the hammock. It stores inside one of it's own pockets. For cold or wet conditions, and for keeping gear organized and off the ground, it's the better choice. Nephew not included:

It uses poly lines, with rather bulky aluminum drip rings:

I thought the knot diagrams were a nice touch:

You'd do well to make yourself familiar with some basic knots before you try to hang either hammock in the dark. I used modified (the rabbit goes around the tree twice instead of once, for you former Boy Scouts) slippery bowlines and tautline hitches.

Both hammocks are well-made, innovative, quality products. Depending on your needs, I don't think you would regret buying either one. I'd like to see a manufacturer come out with one that combines the best features of both: The Hennessy's flat sleeping position, "snake skins" and Spectra lines, and the Clark's storage pockets, extra weather protection, and knot-tying diagrams.

The pics are gone now but the text is still there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2009 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
One other thing to keep in mind is that bugs can bite you thru the fabric, I called Hennessy on this and was told to spray the outside of the hammock with bug spray to keep skeeters at bay. The nice lady I talked to said that Deet should not ruin the fabric and if it did to let her know, I have used Deet on several occasions on the hammock and no damage as of yet.

You're a braver soul than I. Personally I wouldn't use DEET since it is known to eat through fabrics. Permethrin on the other hand is a must imho. I give the bottom of my hammock several good coats of permethrin before I take it out and don't have any problems with skeeters et al.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I just picked mine up. I've used it twice so far. It is the Expedition A-sym model. I love it, it has to be the best way to sleep in the woods. everyone else has covered all the pro's and cons already so i'll just add my two cents here. as JAX stated the treesaver straps are a PITA to get adjusted. I ended up just wrapping the rope around the trees and putting a double half hitch or two in it. it held fine and I slept like a baby.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just picked mine up. I've used it twice so far. It is the Expedition A-sym model. I love it, it has to be the best way to sleep in the woods. everyone else has covered all the pro's and cons already so i'll just add my two cents here. as JAX stated the treesaver straps are a PITA to get adjusted. I ended up just wrapping the rope around the trees and putting a double half hitch or two in it. it held fine and I slept like a baby.

Welcome to the family!
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the family!

thanks... I feel so special now... now my question is, is the "family" going to buy me a set of snakeskins for my hammock....
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 10:02:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to the family!

thanks... I feel so special now... now my question is, is the "family" going to buy me a set of snakeskins for my hammock....

I checked out the hammock forums site someone above mentioned and I saw someone recommend using rifle socks.  I have the snakeskins for mine, but I wished I'd thought of the rifle sock thing and saved myself $10.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#24]
actually I think I might sew up my own. can someone post a picture of them and give me a length. I found some light weight fabric I want to make some gear out of. these skins are a great first project.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
actually I think I might sew up my own. can someone post a picture of them and give me a length. I found some light weight fabric I want to make some gear out of. these skins are a great first project.

I'll try to get a pic for you.  

Link Posted: 5/30/2009 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I love my Hennessy, but have to tell you that any Hammock benefits greatly from a sleeping pad. With my Big Agness inflatable it's like sleeping in an easy chair. The sleeping pad becomes mandatory in colder weather, especially if you are close to the rating on your sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#27]
I love my hennessy. I've taken on several occasions. I hate sleeping on the ground. What's better than having to take a piss in t he middle of the night  and not needing to get out of your stuff. Move to the opening , stick it out and piss away. Beats wandering in the woods in the dark to piss.
Here's a shot of our site in the Everglades.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/jrhack79/camping/BigCypress3-17to3-18-08036.jpg
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I love my hennessy. I've taken on several occasions. I hate sleeping on the ground. What's better than having to take a piss in t he middle of the night  and not needing to get out of your stuff. Move to the opening , stick it out and piss away. Beats wandering in the woods in the dark to piss.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/jrhack79/camping/BigCypress3-17to3-18-08036.jpg

And in the morning you get to step in a puddle of your own piss??

Get a pee bottle.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And in the morning you get to step in a puddle of your own piss??

Get a pee bottle.

No kidding.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#30]
two people who have obviously  never done it and seem to know so much about it. Amazing. The internet is truly a gift from the gods.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Haven't forgotten about pics of the snakeskins.  I'll try to get them tonight.

Quoted:
two people who have obviously  never done it and seem to know so much about it. Amazing. The internet is truly a gift from the gods.

Obviously never done what?  Step in a puddle of my own urine?  I don't even know what to say to that.

If that's not what you're doing, please explain because that's what the rest of us think you're doing.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 10:41:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Haven't forgotten about pics of the snakeskins.  I'll try to get them tonight.

Quoted:

Obviously never done what?  Step in a puddle of my own urine?  I don't even know what to say to that.

If that's not what you're doing, please explain because that's what the rest of us think you're doing.

First off lets clear something up sweetheart. I don't give a flyin' rats ass about what rest of the internet "thinks" i'm doing."Us" can go pound sand. I was questioning if the two of you rocket surgeons have ever pissed out of a hammock. Please tell me you seriously do not  think if i pissed on earth in the middle of the night that a puddle would be awaiting my shoes in the morning. How much can one person urinate on the ground that a puddle will form and last for hours? How large is your bladder? Not mention why would you step on the ground barefoot? Even if you were able to relieve yourself to point that a puddle would form and last until the next morning and you stepped out of your hammock barefoot into said "puddle" what would be the problem? Medically your own urine is not harmful. It contains urea which is a compound used in many things from antiviral,anti fungal and antibacterial . It's created by the body when your system  balances its ratio of sodium chloride to water.

So where do we go from here?
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#34]
EDIT: In deference to TimJ, I'm not going to post the several paragraphs I just wrote on why pissing directly on your own campsite is a poor choice.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 3:37:55 AM EDT
[#35]
If you have access to a sewing machine or someone who sews, snakeskins are pretty easy to make yourself.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearHammockTubes.html

I love my Hennessy Hammock. I've slept completely dry in thunderstorms, and have comfortably slept through a night in the low 30s with sustained 30-40 mile per hour winds, although I did have the tarp pulled down and an underquilt beneath me.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I carry the treesaver straps, but usually do what you do.  Double half hitch with a 3rd thrown in for safety around the trunks of the trees.  Then a garbage bag below me to keep my pants and boots dry and free of crawlers.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I still haven't decided if I want to spend the money for a Hennesy or not,  but I did try hammock camping.

I picked up a Byer Moskito Traveler for $39 from REI.  Strung up a cheap blue poly tarp and used it on this weekend camp out with my sons scout troop.

It worked real well. even through some thunder storms last night.

I'm going to use the Byer a bit more, probably pick up a light weight tarp for backpacking.

Here's a photo of the set up:

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks to me like, in that pic, you had the hammock strung really loose...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#39]
The very simple directions on the side of the stuff sack said to hang it loose and sleep at an angle on it to keep your back straight.  It seemd pretty comfortable.

And, I think I took that picture after the first night,  I tightened up the ropes later.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Seriously you guys don't do the "Down Periscope" technique when

sleeping in your Hennessy?....Hell that's half the reason the guys I

talk to even bought the things ...worried about a pee puddle, but

willing to cuddle w/ a urine bottle?...or were you gonna toss it outside

onto the ground for the critters to haul off?...just curious...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Call me crazy but I get out of the hammock to pee.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:49:38 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:27:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Seriously you guys don't do the "Down Periscope" technique when

sleeping in your Hennessy?....Hell that's half the reason the guys I

talk to even bought the things ...worried about a pee puddle, but

willing to cuddle w/ a urine bottle?...or were you gonna toss it outside

onto the ground for the critters to haul off?...just curious...

If it is cold, then the technique is to go in the bottle, and either put it in the sleeping bag with you or set it aside. I use a nalgene bottle, so good luck to the critters smelling it and then tearing in to it.

In the morning, go dump it off in the woods.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Note to self: Never borrow Nalgene bottles from SC.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Just to add to my original post; a fleece sleeping bag liner is compact, light and very effective to keep you warm in the hammock.  If you get a flleece bag liner that comes in a fleece stuff sack the little sack makes an excellent pillow with a fleece pullover or a couple t-shirts or socks stuffed in it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:46:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Now thats funny #$%^ Jax...

just slept through a vicious thunderstorm this weekend...stayed dry

but make sure your rain fly is well secured...the wind was so strong it

pulled my stakes half way out of the ground by morning...glad I gave her

a liberal spray of scotch guard when we set up camp cause it fkn poured..

Hennessy Rocks..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top