Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2009 6:24:09 PM EDT
I would like some info/opinions on 2-person backpacking tents...

I normally use a tarp, but there are times when a completely enclosed shelter would be nice...

Steep and Cheap has been having a couple Big Agnes tents that seem like good deals...

Thanks,

~Troy
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 7:40:34 PM EDT
[#1]
REI Half Dome & REI Quarter Dome T2 Tent are two cheap options.  Pretty nice tents as well.  I also like the North Face Tadpole 23, but it's heavier and pricer than option one.  You will have to decide on the weight issue.  Of the three, the Tadpole 23 is the most well constructed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

REI Half Dome & REI Quarter Dome T2 Tent are two cheap options.  Pretty nice tents as well.  I also like the North Face Tadpole 23, but it's heavier and pricer than option one.  You will have to decide on the weight issue.  Of the three, the Tadpole 23 is the most well constructed.

+1 for the North Face Tadpole.

Link Posted: 2/9/2009 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#3]
In many cases the tents the sell as "2 man tents" are not tents I would share with a friend, unless that friend is a hot girl and sleeps naked.

Seriously, in most cases 2-man tents are 1.5 man tents.
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In many cases the tents the sell as "2 man tents" are not tents I would share with a friend, unless that friend is a hot girl and sleeps naked.

It's for me and my wife...
Link Posted: 2/9/2009 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2, and it's a great tent.  I highly recommend it.  

It's a little pricy, but It's about as light as you can get for a double walled freestanding two man tent.

When you have two people it's only about 1.5 pounds per person!

It's a little cramped for two big people, but if you're friendly it's fine.  

I've used it with my dad before and I didn't have a problem.  We're both about 6 feet tall.
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nevertheless, my biggest advice is to get a good, lightweight "3-man" tent for two people.  Also, make sure you get one with aluminum poles––stronger and lighter than graphite, etc.  aluminum poles basically don't break, and a broken tent pole is not fun.

You also should decide whether you want to get a 3-season or 4-season tent.  I have several of both.  Good 3-season/3-person tents generally weigh around 7-pounds packed, and good 4-season/3-person tents generally weigh about 9 pounds (but are nice to have when it gets cold, snowy, and/or windy).   It depends on preference, but, although I try to cut out any extra weight I can when backpacking, I like to have a well-made and decently-roomy tent with me, even thoguh it means I might be carrying a couple of extra pounds.  It's worth it to me if the weather gets bad and you have to stay inside for a while.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2009 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

in that case look into 2 clark north american hammocks
Link Posted: 2/11/2009 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Ah  weight and  stability,,ease of using,,with no cost effect.
I can only recommend Hiliberg.
Several models , very different approach.
Yhea, some will say Eureka.
The only other "backpacking" tent I'd say is a Go-lite,,maybe a Black Diamond.
go lites seem to be oriented to through/speed hikers.
I love winter camping,no fire danger,or bugs at least here at 6500ft
But for me Hiliberg's Stiaka is all I need.
During the summer a Hilliberg Bivanorak.
I would realistically buy a Black Diamond before a Go-lite.
Preferring long use over light weight.
It really boils down to the  climate you will be in.
Not all are storm proof,few are,but my Hilliberg Stiaka seems to me omnipotent.
Easy set up,,can be used really light,,and freestanding.

http://www.hilleberg.com/Home.htm

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/gear/tents_overview.php

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProductByCategory.aspx?mc=6&s=1
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I picked up a Marmot Earlylight for the wife and I and love it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2009 7:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I am really enjoying my Mutha-Hubba by MSR. It is technically a three man but tell that to the wife.  They also make a Hubba-Hubba which is a two man.

Look around and find a deal for last years model. It still wont be cheap, but when you are sitting in 60 mph gust and it pouring out but you are dry, you will be glad.  The reality is you don't really "need" a tent until conditions are bad. When conditions are that bad, it has to be up to the task.  There are a lot of good tents, most have obnoxious colors.

I never skimp on boots, tents, or sleeping bags.  But that doesn't mean you have to pay a fortune either.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 4:47:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My fiance and I use an REI Half Dome and we've been very happy with it. The vestibules leave plenty of space to leave the packs outside (Given that its not raining like all hell) and inside the tent is ample space for two people who are comfortable with each other. But also remember that I'm only 5'7 140 so if you're a 6 footer you might be a little cramped. I still swear by this tent though, used it up in Maine and had 3 solid days of rain but stayed dry the entire time, can't say that about some of the other tents I used back in the scouts.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I normally use a tarp, but there are times when a completely enclosed shelter would be nice...

Steep and Cheap has been having a couple Big Agnes tents that seem like good deals...

Thanks,

~Troy

big agnes makes some awesome tents, they are very light and well built!
Almost every tent mentioned by people above are good too.  If you stick to a known quality name brand such as marmot, rei, sierra designs... you will be doing fine.  Just look for features YOU like!!

my critera
weight:  I want the lightest possible
square footage:  I want the most room possible for the least ammount of weight
vestibule square footage:  I like a decent vestibule size
color: do i want to blend in, or signal a satellite
price:  how much do I want to spend... buy once, cry once!
tent type:  single wall, double wall, or hybrid, am I in a dry area or humid, do i want to save a few lbs but have possible condensation problems.

for two people.. really look at the two door, two vestibule tents, you each get your own storage area, and your own door, which is REALLY nice.  for when my father and I go backpacking, I have pretty much settled on the Sierra Designs BAKU 3 which is a 2 door 2 vestibule hybrid single/double wall tent.  It is a 3 person tent that weighs less than our older REI half dome 2person which it replaced.  look around, you can get some awesome deals on 06,07,08 model year tents that are out there still new in bag!

mine, my fathers, and our tents from 1992-Present.. yes I have an addiction.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#13]
^
|
|
WOW THAT LOOKS FUN!
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 12:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Second on the MSR Big Mutha Hubba...it sounds funny when you tell your friends which tent it is, but they quite making fun of you after you set it up.

We got rained on (and in) one Memorial Day weekend, so I went out and bought this tent so that wouldnt happen again...defintely more of a true "backpacking" tent, but a sweet tent for sure.

Schrader
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 (they make an "ultralight" version as well)

Sold as a 3 person tent, makes a very roomy and nice 2 person tent.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Kifaru Paratipi... or a 4 Man Tipi.
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

~Troy

big agnes makes some awesome tents, they are very light and well built!
Almost every tent mentioned by people above are good too.  If you stick to a known quality name brand such as marmot, rei, sierra designs... you will be doing fine.  Just look for features YOU like!!

my critera
weight:  I want the lightest possible
square footage:  I want the most room possible for the least ammount of weight
vestibule square footage:  I like a decent vestibule size
color: do i want to blend in, or signal a satellite
price:  how much do I want to spend... buy once, cry once!
tent type:  single wall, double wall, or hybrid, am I in a dry area or humid, do i want to save a few lbs but have possible condensation problems.

for two people.. really look at the two door, two vestibule tents, you each get your own storage area, and your own door, which is REALLY nice.  for when my father and I go backpacking, I have pretty much settled on the Sierra Designs BAKU 3 which is a 2 door 2 vestibule hybrid single/double wall tent.  It is a 3 person tent that weighs less than our older REI half dome 2person which it replaced.  look around, you can get some awesome deals on 06,07,08 model year tents that are out there still new in bag!

mine, my fathers, and our tents from 1992-Present.. yes I have an addiction.
<a href="http://www.flickr.com/freeride21a" target="_blank">http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2970990466_6c05f6e37a_b.jpg</a>

Just sell me one of your tents...

Geez...
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#18]
In a bit of a last minute fluff, I bought a Coleman Cadence 2 tent and used it last week. It is unusual for me in that you enter through the side rather than the end. I am used to the Eureka Timberlines but my had crapped out after 30 years. The Coleman kept my a** dry through 6 hours of steady rain before I had enough and packed it in. Not bad for $100.00 but the 2 person is only good for two people if your gear stays outside.

RS
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I am extremely happy with my Mountain HardWear Hammerhead.  I am considering another Mountain HardWear model, in addition to this one as this thing has been bullet proof.  I just want one a little lighter for when I am alone or in serious backcountry and need to save weight.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless both of you are quite small, and you don't mind putting your equipment outside, take heed that 2 man tents are really not well suited for two people and their gear.
Link Posted: 3/2/2009 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked up a Marmot Limelight 3P today at REI for ~$125 w/ footprint...

Can't wait to try it out...
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

great choice.  I sell the 2p and the 3p where I work.  My customers love them and they also get good reviews.

for $125, killer!
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks,

~Troy

I picked up one of the Big Agnes tents on clearance last year from REI and I can honestly say it's the best tent I've ever owned. VERY high quality materials and stitching. It's easy to put up, take down, and is very light.  I've had it in all kinds of weather conditions and it's been nothing but great.  

If I ever got another tent, it would be a BA.  Great tents in my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/5/2009 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

great choice.  I sell the 2p and the 3p where I work.  My customers love them and they also get good reviews.

for $125, killer!

My wife and I set it up and took it down at REI...  We spent time setting up just the footprint and fly...  got inside it, etc...  It wa pretty cool being able to actually "use" the tent before makng a decision...  We did the same thing with a couple other tents...  Great way to buy a tent in my opinion...
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

for $125, killer!

My wife and I set it up and took it down at REI...  We spent time setting up just the footprint and fly...  got inside it, etc...  It wa pretty cool being able to actually "use" the tent before makng a decision...  We did the same thing with a couple other tents...  Great way to buy a tent in my opinion...

Totally!  I do that as well, I love getting paid to talk gear with customers as well as pull different things out and set them up so they can see.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#26]
lil late on advice but this is what we got to break my wife into backpacking ( i also use a tarp set up)
We purchased an exponet inyo2.  I had doubts at 1st as it was a "coleman". but  it will hold both me and my wife with no issue.
Now we arent lil 110lb  folks either, and with the double doors and double vestibules for gear there's more than enough room for 2.
Its a tad heavy 4 lbs or so, but if split up it aint bad. still it isnt  10 oz worth of tarp but  gives her that security of a tent if need be.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I recently decided to go with a TNF Tadpole 23.

I wanted something lightweight that COULD sleep 2, but would be better as a spacious 1 person. With the 20% off for all members REI sale this month, it is only $160.

Trail weight (canopy, rain fly, and poles) comes in at 4lbs 10oz. With some aftermarket tent stakes that way just over 1/4 of an ounce each and the compression sack my trail weight is at 4lbs 15oz.

Which for the price, is pretty darn good.

If your fine with spending a couple hundred more I would suggest looking up the "Helion 2"
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#28]
this thread is causing me to consider running a net and floor combo with a tarp for a sub 4 pound load split between two people.  sounds pretty good!
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
this thread is causing me to consider running a net and floor combo with a tarp for a sub 4 pound load split between two people.  sounds pretty good!

Why not just get a full on 2 person tent and still be under 4 pounds?
Link Posted: 4/11/2009 5:26:55 AM EDT
[#31]
this thread is causing me to consider running a net and floor combo with a tarp for a sub 4 pound load split between two people. sounds pretty good!

That' s what I am using at present.  Pictures are around here somewhere.

Link Posted: 4/11/2009 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a North Face Tadpole (probably going on 15 years old now) and it works great but is cramped for 2 people who are not real close with each other, like someone above stated. I typically use it for my 1 person tent.

I also have a Sierra Design Omega which is a 2 person 3-4 season convertable. Nice size and is fine to carry if weight is split between two people. its very strudy and you have a couple of different options when you set it which saves weight. Ventilation is good too.

Hope this helps

J-
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My fiance and I use an REI Half Dome and we've been very happy with it. The vestibules leave plenty of space to leave the packs outside (Given that its not raining like all hell) and inside the tent is ample space for two people who are comfortable with each other. But also remember that I'm only 5'7 140 so if you're a 6 footer you might be a little cramped. I still swear by this tent though, used it up in Maine and had 3 solid days of rain but stayed dry the entire time, can't say that about some of the other tents I used back in the scouts.

Ditto this. Me and my fiance have the same tent. Love it.

We're both about 5'7"-5'9" though. Make sure to get the footprint. Costly but it's pretty nice to have.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I have been very please with the Kelty Teton 2 Tent.  I found one for $100 w/ free shipping.  It is easy to set-up & take down.  Kelty hss a good reputation for their products.  It cost less than other brands.  It weighs around 3.75 lbs with everything.  It is a little heavier than some others.  It mets my needs at the moment.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w4/shankle_photos/Outdoor%20Gear/P4270013.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w4/shankle_photos/Outdoor%20Gear/P4270015.jpg
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Are those Texsport $25 camo tents sold on Amazon any good?

I was thinking about buying one of those for my BOB.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are those Texsport $25 camo tents sold on Amazon any good?

I was thinking about buying one of those for my BOB.

They work...but they have no rain fly so you will have to pack in some sort of rain fly as well into your BOB.

And you pay for what you get.  It will either last you twenty years or twenty minutes.  Those as well as the Wally World Ozark Trail and other bargain brands can either be outstanding or send you back to the store grumbling that you should have spent more in the first place.  I've got an Ozark Trail that has held up admirably, but others haven't had good luck.  Texsport is much the same.

YMMV, but I think they would work well for the kids in the backyard more than for relying on it totally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top