Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2008 6:33:37 PM EDT
I mentioned in my last thread that the Kalalau Trail hike is my dream trip for now.  I have been down the first mile, and can't wait to do the whole thing.  

It got me to thinking, what is the best hike (say 2-3 days) you have been on, or would like to go on?  Links would be great if you have one.

Again, here is mine.

Kalalau Trail

Thanks
Doc

Edit to add; OK 2 days to a week
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The best hiking I have ever done was in the Patagonian Andes.

The shortest hike was 4 days however. Cerro Fitz Roy & Cerro Torre

I will return!
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
rae lakes loop (3-5days)  in the sierras.  if you have a bit longer(7-10days), also in the sierras, is the south lake to north lake hike.  You can do either full lenght or short cut cross country via lamark col.

google images of rae lakes, evolution lake, dusy basin, palisades, muir pass, kearsarge lakes/pass.

each one of these sections does do part of the 212mi long john muir trail.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
AT in the Smokies Natl Park --> Northern half - Clingmans Dome to Davenport Gap - about 35 miles, incredible scenery
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#4]
White Mountains in New Hampshire! Any of the Presidential hikes are loaded with scenery and range in elevation from 3k to 6+k.

They also have black bears to keep you on your toes!

That's my size 10 boot to the left of a good size bear track.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:38:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a dream hike but it's more than 3 days for sure... Everest base camp.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have a dream hike but it's more than 3 days for sure... Everest base camp.

WOW Gamma, you have higher ambitions that I.  I watched that series on Everest, and while I was quite intrigued, I have no desire to do that!!!  I am very impressed with those that make it.  Talk about taking it to the extreme!!

Good luck.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw a poll somewhere that had the John Muir Trail as the best long trail in the nation. I haven't done it, but from the pictures I have seen, I sure would like to.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to do the John  Muir trail, another one in Alaska, finish the Superior Hiking Trail...but my dream is the Kokoda trail in New Guinea.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a paticular hike I do in 3-4 days. covers about 30 miles of the High Uintahs and goes to the highest peak in Utah which is kings Peak at 13600ft . start at Yellowstone drainage travel north through 5 basins and 4 passes and then end up on the north slope  near Mirror lake on the mirrow lake hwy.  you change elevation of over 6500 feet and get to see some awsome country.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I saw a poll somewhere that had the John Muir Trail as the best long trail in the nation. I haven't done it, but from the pictures I have seen, I sure would like to.

I have been doing the John Muir Trail in sections, about a week at a time.  Infact, I just got off the trail on friday from doing a 45mi section of it.

It is one of the neatest, and prettiest places I have ever been, and I have been hiking many places.

you can do it in sections, its usually 1-2days to get to it then 1-2 days to get out except the beginning and the end.  Ill post pics later.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I did the Cerro Torre hike in Argentina last year as well and it was great. Pretty much everything in the Patagonian Andes is spectacular.

Trekked in the Himalaya near Everest in 2000 but didn't make it all the way to Base Camp due to medical issues with my companion.

Believe it or not, I really like the Great Smokey Mountain National Park in Tennesse. Once you get a couple miles in, there aren't that many people and the scenery can be quite nice.

Heading to CO/WY/MT/ID in about a month and will hopefully get to do a little hiking...
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Pics are here----www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/Code99/

Unfortunately no pics from the Himalaya trip------that was before I went digital.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Ruby lake just before going over mono pass in the sierra nevadas.  I am at 11,400ft for this photo.

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Teton National Park, bar none. The place is jaw-dropping. Too many INCREDIBLE hikes to list...take your pick.

Link Posted: 8/7/2008 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Pictured Rocks National Shoreline

Wow...beautiful landscape.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For sure. That's just the tip of the iceberg there is plenty more. 42 miles of hiking trails with campsites setup all along the way.

Here's the view from a couple of our campsites.

camp1
camp2
camp3

Link Posted: 8/25/2008 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have done it and it is.  This fall will be beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:49:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For sure. That's just the tip of the iceberg there is plenty more. 42 miles of hiking trails with campsites setup all along the way.

Here's the view from a couple of our campsites.

camp1
camp2
camp3

Good looking pup!!!!!   Are you from the UP?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
No. Me and the emperor are from Fenton.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
AT in the Smokies Natl Park --> Northern half - Clingmans Dome to Davenport Gap - about 35 miles, incredible scenery

I did a 2 1/2 day trip a few years ago in the southern half. It was basically a little less than a 40 mile loop starting and finishing at Clingmans dome. It was the toughest hike I have ever been on.

Starting at Clingmans, head west on the AT to Welch Ridge Trail (4 miles). About 2 miles on this trail you will come to Hazel Creek Trail. Take this all the way down to where it ends at Cold Spring Gap Trail (8 miles). At this point, the trail gets vicious as you head up the High Rocks(4 miles). About a mile past the High Rocks you come to Bear Creek Trail which will take you down to Fontana Lake(6 miles). From there take Forney Creek Trail all the way back up to Clingmans which is no easy task (11 miles).

We started this hike at 7pm in the evening on a Friday night. We hiked till 11pm, camped, got up by 6am and hiked down to Fontana Lake where we camped. The next day was all up hill to Clingman's Dome. We got back to our car and collapsed for about 30 minutes before getting in the car and heading home. Don't think I will every do that one again in that short amount of time, but it was a blast looking back on it. The scenery is breathtaking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top