Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2008 5:56:13 PM EDT
You guy's already helped me pick out my Eureke Blue Mesa 1610 Tent so I thought I would ask you experts about inflatable mattresses.

I am looking for comfort as a primary goal. I know I know, it's a friggin' blow up mattress but I would like something decent. My back is fubar and I need to walk after I crawl out of bed .

Self infating, prolly queen sized but no smaller than a full.

What can you guy's suggest ?

Thank's fellas

Steve

Link Posted: 6/21/2008 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Expensive, but good.  Cabela's self inflating.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Get foam, air sucks! It's cold, they will all leak very soon and it's hard to get just the right air pressuer to have any sort of comfort level.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
AKwildcard knoweth what he speaketh. I'll never waste my money on air mattresses again.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get foam, air sucks! It's cold, they will all leak very soon and it's hard to get just the right air pressuer to have any sort of comfort level.

I like that point. Which product/products would you suggest ?

No deep woods or hiking gear needed, just family camping with young kids.

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm a big fan of the Coleman brand mattresses.  Besides being baffled which cuts back on the sleeping on top of each other (when you don't want to), they have a very large check valve for fast inflation/deflation and a D batter operated pump.

Tj

My GF got one of these (Queen size) free through credit card points or something. We haven't inflated it yet  because the pump didn't come with it and it seems a lot of work to inflate with lung power. It seems solid. link

Cabela's has a foam camp mattress that I've wondered about. link

And for self-inflating Thermarests, I'd get two XL Base Camp models, but that's getting expensive at $99 a piece. link

GL
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Therm-a-rest

Therma rest is a great product.  I have been using them for over twenty years.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally I use Therm-A-Rest.  However, I think you are looking for something a little different.  Take at look at these...

Exped

Click on products, sleeping mats, Downmats.

They will put some distance between you and the ground, have down inside of them which provide warmth, and inflate with the stuff sac that is provided.  Pretty easy.  They have high reviews from users.  Let me know if this is not what you are looking for and I will do a little more searching.

This is the model I currently use...

Therm-A-Rest Toughskin
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a aim mattress I bought from I got from Gander years back and it has been great for me.  It is used for truck camping or if someone needs to crash at my house and all the beds are taken.  This May I used it in my tent at a regatta and it rained the whole time.  Being about 6-8 inches above the tent floor kept me high and dry.  Mine is big enough for 2 and just fits in my small tent.  The battery powered pumps fill it up in about 2 minutes.  For me I will always have one for these purposes.  I hate sleeping on the ground with a foam pad now and either use a cot or this.  My days of travel light freeze at night are over for the most part.

Ghilly
Link Posted: 7/5/2008 11:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Exped is the shit if you are backpacking. So is Big Agnes insulated airmats
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:12:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Therma rest prolite 4.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Throwing an air mattress on the floor of your tent will be plent hard on you, did the crawling around on your knees stuff for years, never again. Might I suggest a large cot & quality foam mattress. I got a huge cot from Cabelas a couple of seasons ago & I kick myself for not doing it years sooner. A foam mattress is on my list, just not sure wich one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Therma rest prolite 4.

yip whati have
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the therm-a-rest Z or something it's called. Real distinctive looking eggcrate style, folds up like an accordion. It's ultra-light and durable and pretty comfy...then again I have a young back.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 6:02:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I assume that since you bought a great big tent, than you're not humping this in.

If you're car camping, get a cot.  So much more comfortable than any air mattress.  

This is the entry-level cot I usually recommendwww.amazon.com/Texsport-Folding-Deluxe-Camp-Cot/dp/B000P9GZXW/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1216994601&sr=8-2:
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#17]
If you are just car/tent camping without hiking anywhere then go to Camping World and look at the RV Mattresses. Most of the thinner ones can be rolled up and bungee corded for travel. It may or may not meet your needs but it may be worth a look if you have a bad back.

AccurateOne
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1

After about 3 air ones I went to foam

much better
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm a big fan of the Coleman brand mattresses.  Besides being baffled which cuts back on the sleeping on top of each other (when you don't want to), they have a very large check valve for fast inflation/deflation and a D batter operated pump.

Tj

+1  I have the same experience with them sleep very well on them
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#20]
If I'm backpacking, Thermarest (guidelite?) is my go-to.  If I'm camping out of the truck there's no beating a Cabela's roll up foam mattress.(Cabela's mattress) Ive had one for years and no air mattress can beat it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Check out the Big Agnes line of Air Core and Dual Core pads. They have insulated models for colder weather too. I purchased one a few months ago but haven't been able to use it in the field. Much more comfy than my old Thermarest and packs lighter and smaller.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Check out the Big Agnes line of Air Core and Dual Core pads. They have insulated models for colder weather too. I purchased one a few months ago but haven't been able to use it in the field. Much more comfy than my old Thermarest and packs lighter and smaller.

I just spent 5 more nights on a BA REM air core pad in yellowstone in temps from 25-40* and love it compared to a Thermarest.

A bitch to blow up but more comfy and packs smaller.
Link Posted: 10/4/2008 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Throwing an air mattress on the floor of your tent will be plent hard on you, did the crawling around on your knees stuff for years, never again. Might I suggest a large cot & quality foam mattress. I got a huge cot from Cabelas a couple of seasons ago & I kick myself for not doing it years sooner. A foam mattress is on my list, just not sure wich one.

a hammock is much lighter, includes the tarp, shelter and bugscreen.  google the clark north american.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top