Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2008 8:48:00 AM EDT
Is it okay to store sleeping bags compressed in a pack?  Do they lose loft/ effeciency?
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't do it!  It WILL kill your bag faster (it may not be noticeable if you go through them fast though).  If you're going to do it, down will handle it better, but it's still best to store your bag in the big one that it should have come with.  I guess you could pick up a relatively cheap (~$100) synthetic bag and use that.  Just replace it every 5 years or so.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a good idea and yes it will reduce loft over time.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What they said.  Not a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/8/2008 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Never.
Link Posted: 5/11/2008 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Do not store compressed for long periods of time.

Compressing it while you hike during the day is OK.

Leaving it compressed for a week or months is BAD.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two bags, one is a 7 year old NF Cats Meow 3d.  I keep it compressed in my 3day pack 100% of the time.

My second bag is a NF snowshoe, I keep it hanging open in my man cave except on extended planned trips.

For the record, despite being compressed for 6 months, I comfortable spent the night in my cats meow in march.  Added a north face bivvy, Zrest, brown tarp, and a pair of fleece pants, did fine in 23* weather.

Here's a pic, my shelter is the brown spot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 11:36:18 AM EDT
[#8]
you sir suck  I wish we had a place that looked like that here.  Nice pic!
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
by compressed do u mean the little stuff sacks or the big bag that comes with the sack?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
yes
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 11:01:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Used to work at a camping store and I was always told by the manufacturers to store them outside the stuff sack. It may not be as big a deal with the newer synthetic fills though. Most of the down bags I used to see came in a large cotton sack which was OK for storage.

I store mine on clothes hangers. I also store tents that way too; not so much for saving the material but to make sure it doesn't mold.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Used to work at a camping store and I was always told by the manufacturers to store them outside the stuff sack. It may not be as big a deal with the newer synthetic fills though. Most of the down bags I used to see came in a large cotton sack which was OK for storage.

I store mine on clothes hangers. I also store tents that way too; not so much for saving the material but to make sure it doesn't mold.

they still do say that.
most synthetics last 8-15 years depending on the fiber and care of the bag  most are hollow continuous fibers and after you store them stuffed and they are held in a position they weaken.  thus causing the once continuous fibers to break down over time reducing loft.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it depends on the bag really, I have two wiggy's systems and he guarantees it will come back to 100 per cent after being compressed. I have two of the modular GI issue and I have compressed the black bag down to nothing and left it for a long time and in just a few minutes it is back to normal. but I would not dispute the others recommendations,and for most bags it is probably good advice.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:36:02 PM EDT
[#14]
2nd on the wiggys...store it compressed no probs.....best bag I've owned....and made it the USA!

....also insulates when wet!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a Wiggy's Nautilus compressed for 2 or more years, and it's fine. I've also run it through the washing machine and dryer. Good as new. I plan on getting more bags from him.

GL

edit - I should add, the tag on the bag says to air dry, no heat. I used the "fluff" setting on the dryer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top