Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2007 6:29:18 PM EDT
Well I have been thinking about getting back into backpacking and have been examining what I will need and what I have.  Among other things I will need is a pack stove. Well I remembered that when I was in the boy scouts, 15-20 years ago, I had a Coleman Peak 1 stove. I had kept around for "just in case" things and well I dug it out today.

So I ventured down to Bi-Mart and bought a gallon of white gas and fired it up. It fired right up!!!

Question though, does anybody know if any of the parts should be serviced after it has been out fo commision for so many years? Would coleman after all these years even service this thing; I realize I would have to pay but...?

Is thing even worth keeping or should I go get a better, easier to light, and lighter mulit-fuel stove?
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Remove and clean and oil the pump, see if it is dried out and needs to be replaced. Use a pipe cleaner to clean the burner holes .I would pick up a pump kit and a new generator JIC.

Coleman is known to keep common parts in stock for almost ever. I have a Lantern from the early '50's I called them up and got what I needed and it was no big deal
Link Posted: 11/26/2007 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep an eye open for "Coleman on the Road" they show up at outdoors shows and the big outdoor-marts.  They repair there lanterns and stove for free. Including free parts.  

I collected a bunch of yard sale lanterns, which to me were just spare parts.  The guys from Coleman fixed everyone.  The best part is, they do it in front of you and explain how to take care of the appliance and repair it.

And yes they have parts for just about everything.  On old timer came up with a "Trench Stove"!  Because of it's collector value.  They offered to ship it to the factory where the restoration guys would fix it for free.

A great company, it's just too bad they are being forced into the china made trap.

Here are the rebuilding instructions
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I upgraded all my 20+ year old backpacking equipment a couple of years ago.  The Coleman 400's were top of the line for their day, but there are lighter and better alternatives now.   The MSR Dragonfly, for example, has an adjustable flame, can burn almost everything except bear piss and weighs about a pound.

If you want to go ultralight, google pop can alcohol stove.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I upgraded all my 20+ year old backpacking equipment a couple of years ago.  The Coleman 400's were top of the line for their day, but there are lighter and better alternatives now.   The MSR Dragonfly, for example, has an adjustable flame, can burn almost everything except bear piss and weighs about a pound.

If you want to go ultralight, google pop can alcohol stove.

Yep, the MSR Dragonfly is awesome, I love mine.  But, its really loud when on full flame.  Its a blast furnace though!  I have made several of the pop can stoves.  They work really well for such a simple design.  But they only burn for a short time and are easily crushed.  They are extremely light though.  (on a side note, I have a single burner Coleman that is at least thirty years old.  It has never had parts replaced, and still works!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top