Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 5:31:26 AM EDT
Not having used it for several years, I noticed that fuel for my Coleman campstove has gotten incredibly expensive. $7+ per gallon!!!

Are there any alternate fuels that you can use?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Methane.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess that's not exactly the answer I was hoping for. I was thinking along the lines of liquid fuels. I wasn't sure if there was some type of adapter kit that allows you to burn gas or kerosene...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an MSR stove that is probably smaller than what you have.  I use bhutane.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine is an old two-burner Coleman campstove that runs on white gas.

I guess what I want to know is if there is either a way to convert it to burn other liquid fuels (i.e. unleaded gas or kerosene), or if there is a stove that already burns those fuels.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
There may be a kit from Cloeman that will change your stove over to unleaded.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#6]
belive it or not you can use regular 87 octane gas from the pump inj a regular white gas stove. i have been doing this for years and have had no bad effects or booms.

my uncle let me in on this as he worked at colman untill he retired and said it was ok to do.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
belive it or not you can use regular 87 octane gas from the pump inj a regular white gas stove. i have been doing this for years and have had no bad effects or booms.

my uncle let me in on this as he worked at colman untill he retired and said it was ok to do.

I have done this same thing in stoves and lanterns. I don't know what the difference is between there standard and "dual Fuel" models, but I was doing this before the "dual fuel" models were sold for a premium. The only thing I have noticed is the need to clean it out more frequently and do not let the fuel get old in the unit. I ruined a lantern that way, left fuel unused for about 2 years. Messed up the orifice and pump and everything. It probably would have been fine had I put Stabil in it.
Eng208
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Excellent. Thanks for the answers...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
my dual fuel 2 burner coleman stove can use gasoline
my brother took one from the 50s and simply added a few replacement parts from the newer dual fuel model and uses gasoline with no problems
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top